DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
5 members and 553 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, GsxrBulldog, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

June 4, 2003, 06:05 AM

Suzukis and Hondas...all cheatin' bastages! Trying to keep up with the faster Yamahas.

AMA Tech Dragnet Catches Honda, Suzuki
tiny spring brings down mighty factory teams
by evan williams
Sunday, June 01, 2003
On the left, a human hand. On the right, a tiny spring.
image by evan wiliams
After the 600 Supersport qualification session yesterday at PPIR, AMA Pro Racing Technical Inspection pulled ten or so bikes in for inspection. As the racing day ended, the AMA released information that the three Honda Supersport bikes—those ridden by Miguel DuHamel, Jake Zemke, and Marty Cragill—had been found to have parts that were not to standard with the AMA's Supersport rules.

As it turns out, a spring in the stock Honda CBR600RR did not match the race machines. All three were found to have "non-standard oil pressure relief valve" and Cragill's bike had a non-standard charging system as well. DuHamel and Zemke were docked 20 points, fined $2000 and moved to the back of the grid. Cragill was disqualified.

Honda Racing Manager Chuck Miller stated: "Ultimately, as you know, we got our bike as early production versions. Through their (AMA PRo Racing) investigation, they were checking the pressures of the oil relief valve versus a production version. The production version was made two months after we had gotten ours. There was a discrepancy on the part. Our part was illegal and we take full responsibility of the situation. I will say all of us thought we were legal, even the Japan staff. We thought we were so legal that we took a production bike down there and said 'let's pull this one apart and we'll prove it to you'. They did take it apart and found out it was different."

Last night, we found out that in production, the vendor changed, got new springs, and ... we were wrong. We're going to do a deeper investigation of any other parts that changed during production. That's where we stand."

"The Bruce Group situation is a little different," Miller added. "The Bruce Group did make a change on their spring. As far as the ACG (charging system), they had an early crash on their bike when parts weren't available, so they went to Japan and got a kit part and put it on their bike so they could continue to ride. Since then, production parts have become available and they never changed it back out."

"We're going to accept it and move on, come from the back row. The most frustrating part is that we've been (given) a little more severe penalties in regards to the other teams we know—Kawasaki and perhaps Suzuki—that have had infractions similar to ours. The difference is theirs were after the race. Ours was with qualifying, (therefor) not only do we get the $2000 fine and the 20 points fine, but we also are staring at the back of the grid.

"We feel it is an extra penalty and it takes us out of the championship run. It's hard to swallow. That's what we're here for," said Miller.

So what was the cause of the mass check after qualifying? Well, it seems Road Atlanta race winner Ben Spies was also popped for having a similar illegal spring, although it was intentionally kept very quiet (by AMA Pro Racing--Editor) at the time and the final determination of guilt wasn't decided by AMA Pro Racing until Wednesday of last week. Spies will also lose 20 points and suffer a $2000 fine, but will keep his race win.

Did the Spies infraction lead to the latest run of checks? "Well, it was an oil pressure relief valve (on Spies' machine)," said the AMA's Ron Barrick.

How much of an advantage does the illegal valve give? It's a negligible advantage, certainly less than two horsepower according to one factory engine builder. What's the value of the spring? Pennies, in parts cost, perhaps millions in the scope of the Supersport championship.

ENDS

Briefly You'll Tarry
Need a Mainstream Motorcycle Fix? Try Rideamotorcycle.com
Our Very Own FAQ (under construction)
Art Prints and Other Items In the Soup Store
Spruce Up Those Desktop Images with a selection from our Desktop Wallpaper

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

June 4, 2003, 07:29 AM

Quote:

How much of an advantage does the illegal valve give? It's a negligible advantage, certainly less than two horsepower according to one factory engine builder.

Honda Cbr600RR NESBA #135
"Your anger makes me Happy"
Ambivalent? Welllll, yes and no.
You are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#3)
Addicted to farm animals

June 4, 2003, 08:22 AM

That answers alot of questions......so Yamaha would have won all the races then ...hmmmmmmm

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

June 4, 2003, 12:22 PM

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much of an advantage does the illegal valve give? It's a negligible advantage, certainly less than two horsepower according to one factory engine builder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, you don't suppose they would've asked a Honda or Suzuki engine builder now do you? Naah! Even if they did, what would be the odds of them saying it was actually to improve performance illegally? That would never happen! We all know how honest Suzuki riders are. Right? (wink! wink!)

Someome must've snuck into their garages at 3a.m. and switched components around. Yeah, that's it!

PAY UP LEE!

www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

June 4, 2003, 12:26 PM

Actually, how bad do you have to be to cheat and still not win?

Silly Suzuki and Honda riders! Winning is for Yamahas!

PAY UP LEE!

www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
Unread
  (#6)
Site Admin

June 4, 2003, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Silly Suzuki and Honda riders! Winning is for Yamahas!

YEAH BABY
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

June 4, 2003, 12:58 PM

So whats the excuse for Yamaha's not even showing up on the podium all year in superbike. Just a question.

So who is the winning for afterall, I venture to say Suzukis definitely win their share
buddy.

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

June 4, 2003, 01:16 PM

Well, considering there are no factory Yamahas in the field for Superbike this year...next year the factory R1 will be playing along.

In the meantime EBoz seems to have an answer for the NEW Zukes on his 7 year old ZX-7RR. We all know how competetive the ZX-7RR is don't we?

Go EBoz!

PAY UP LEE!

www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

June 4, 2003, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Well, considering there are no factory Yamahas in the field for Superbike this year...next year the factory R1 will be playing along.

In the meantime EBoz seems to have an answer for the NEW Zukes on his 7 year old ZX-7RR. We all know how competetive the ZX-7RR is don't we?

Go EBoz!
Exxxxaaaaacccccttttlllllyyyyy, Yamaha doesnt even make a bike strong enough to make a presence so yea the R1 is definitely the shit (literally).

And as far as Eboz I think he would win alot more if he had a more competitive bike, my hats off to him he pushes that bike to its limits there is no doubt.

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

June 6, 2003, 10:21 PM

Quote:
quote:

Umm, Katie.....READ THIS!

AMA Tech Officials Checked Effect Of Lighter Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring Before Pikes Peak

Copyright 2003, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

AMA Pro Racing Tech officials used a dyno to check what effect a lighter oil pressure relief valve spring had on horsepower, before penalizing Road Atlanta Supersport winner Ben Spies and ordering additional teardowns at Pikes Peak.

The dyno check, performed between the Road Atlanta and Pikes Peak AMA Nationals, showed that simply installing the lighter spring confiscated from Spies' bike increased horsepower on an otherwise unchanged GSX-R600 by 3.0 bhp.

Armed with that information, AMA Pro Racing officials decided to tear down another nine front-running machines following Supersport qualifying at Pikes Peak.

Three more machines--Hondas ridden by Miguel Duhamel, Jake Zemke and Marty Craggill--were found to have lighter-than-stock oil pressure relief valve springs. All three riders were fined points and cash; Duhamel and Zemke were also moved to the back of the Supersport starting grid and Craggill, who also had a non-standard charging system, was disqualified from competing.

Duhamel elected not to start the race. Zemke charged through the pack to finish seventh.

PAY UP LEE!

www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

June 14, 2003, 10:07 AM

Yeah..what was up with this!!

Honda Racing claimed that the race bikes came out before the production bikes, and they were not notified that the production bikes had a changed part. Therefore, they continued running with the illegal part.

Cant believe how the R6 is running away in the supersport class...wonder if things would have been different had Kurtis Roberts/Duhamel run this season?

Arif
-2007 White/Black CBR600RR
-2003 Silver R6 (sold)