DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 575
4 members and 571 guests
2blueyam, GsxrBulldog, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
anyone change gearing on their R6?
Unread
  (#1)
NW DC Rider

anyone change gearing on their R6? - June 4, 2007, 02:31 PM

My rear sprocket is pretty worn out so it's coming time to change it. I've been debating whether to stay with stock gearing or change it up. I know a lot of people on r6messagenet are big fans of the -1/+2 setup but I'm unsure if it will become irritating on the freeway. Others advocate leaving it stock for the street, just drop a tooth in the front, -1/+1, etc... of course opinions are like... well you know.

Anyone local changed up their gearing? What did you change it to? Would you do it again?

Any input is welcome; it's something I'll be doing within the next month or two most likely but not an emergency.

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#2)
MRP Racing

June 4, 2007, 02:55 PM

well to start what year r6 do u have? if your just riding on the street i would stay stock , going down one on the front is like going up 3 in the rear and if u add going up 2 on the rear that would b basically like going up 5 on the rear. So u will b revin alot higher going down the highway and will use more gas , main reason kids on the street do that is so they can pull the front wheel up easier, but u should b able to do that with stock gearing if u know what your doing. If anything i would switch yours to a 520 conversion and stay stock with the gearing , less rotating mass equals more power to the rear wheel. I have a 2000 r6 track bike and i run a 47 on the rear and stock on the front.

sponsor
http://WWW.MRPMOTORSPORTS.COM
WERA AM # 616
TPM GP Moto # 11
R.I.P My Baby Girl Jessica Vetter 12-6-86 - 4-21-07
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
NW DC Rider

June 4, 2007, 11:02 PM

2003, stock gearing is 16/48.

I'm not too worried about gas mileage; I originally grew up with performance cars getting mileage in the mid-teens haha so even "bad" bike mileage is still ok. I don't commute on the bike either, it's purely recreation. Really my only freeway concernis my bike was dropped by the PO and while the cosmetic damage is minor, it broke some of the little plastic tabs so it gets a nasty rattle ~8-10k rpm... and with gearing I think I'd be sitting right in that range when cruising at a decent clip down the freeway.

It seems -1/+2 would still net 150+ top speed which is fine... and I guess I was kind of thinking it the opposite way where on the street I'd rather have more acceleration than a higher topend. It'd let me actually get more use out of 3rd in the twisties as well.

Definitely planning on going 520, might as well. Kind of leaning towards just going +2 in the rear for now and trying that out for awhile. Seems like it'd be a nice bit of slightly extra pep without being too extreme.

What I really need is to find someone local with a 15/50, 16/50 or something similar so I can compare the difference

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#4)
Track Ho

June 4, 2007, 11:33 PM

I have an 04
I just did the 520 conversion on mine, -1 in the front
AFAM front 15 teeth
AFAM rear 48 teeth
DID ERV3# 520 chain used a rivet link

I have only ridden it once and so far I am happy with it but it will take some getting used to depending how hard you ride, it does rev higher

what ever you do, dont order from Colemans, they fucked up my order pretty good
knee draggers makes a pretty good kit basically what i had done. Something to note:
the front sprocket will be the same from 99-05
the rear sprocket for 99-02 is different than 03-05
check the widths of the sprockets when you get them make sure they fit the chain

check your stuff before you go to put it on, once you cut the chain it is too late

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
MRP Racing

June 5, 2007, 03:01 PM

heres one conversion kit on ebay , with a rk chain and vortex sprockets , u'll hear alot of people bitch about how fast the sprockets wear out but ive never had that problem aslong as u keep your chain adjusted and clean and lube it as needed , 130.00 for the kit , i also run a 16-50 on my track bike depending on the track , it will defently give u more pull that your looking for out of the turns u'll just be shifting more often
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...spagenameZWDVW

sponsor
http://WWW.MRPMOTORSPORTS.COM
WERA AM # 616
TPM GP Moto # 11
R.I.P My Baby Girl Jessica Vetter 12-6-86 - 4-21-07
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Loves Sporking

June 5, 2007, 05:52 PM

Although not everyone agrees, I advocate changing your gearing each time you ride.
Thru experimentation, I've found that it's usually best to start-out in 'first'.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
NW DC Rider

June 6, 2007, 02:13 PM

^ pfft you liter bike owners never need to get out of first

@RyderM - Thanks for the ebay link, seems pretty cheap if I can borrow the rivet tool. I definitely would rather pay a few extra bucks for a chain and sprocket that is going to last; I'd also take a slightly heavier sprocket if it was going to last longer.

And I don't mind shifting more often, I actually sort of prefer it. The bad part about a sportbike on the street is that you have to be going REALLY fast to really be in the sweet spot at the top of 2nd/3rd/4th.... something that doesn't really happen beyond 2nd with stock gearing.

@r6hokie good reminder on double-checking before cutting the chain; I'd be in a world of hurt if I did that

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341