DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
4 members and 572 guests
2blueyam, GsxrBulldog, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
First 07 R1 Magazine Write-Up (interesting finds)
Unread
  (#1)
Ling Long

First 07 R1 Magazine Write-Up (interesting finds) - November 22, 2006, 10:10 AM

I find it interesting that he said road riders and occasional track day riders should just stick with the 06 and the knowledge that a better R1 is out there, just not in their garage... but highly reccomended it to serious track junkies...

I thought he was very unbiased as well... even pointing out that he hasn't had a chance to play with the K7 yet, therefore can't speak to which liter bike will be king of the road or track next year...

Anyway, enough babbling. Here's the article:

2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 World Exclusive full launch report

Author: Rob Hoyles
Published: 12 Nov 06

It’s 8am Qatar time and my brain is still in UK mode and, having had just six hours sleep in the last 48 hours I’m getting ready to take to the track on Yamaha’s latest 180bhp motorbike, the new-for-2007 YZF-R1. My befuddled brain feels like it’s 5am…. as wake up calls go, a blast around this sinuous, technical and ultra-fast GP circuit has to be one of the best known to mankind.

Having spent the past eight months as a lucky long-term test pilot on the ’06 machine, initially I’m not overwhelmed by this new bike. The power delivery feels a little disconnected from my right hand as the YCC-T (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) seems to mask the bottom end delivery almost making the bike feel underpowered in the first third of the rev range as it softens the delivery to the rear tyre. The road tyres and road settings aren’t doing much to help my confidence and I’m more than just a little on edge. The standard suspension set-up is soft (probably great on the road) which causes a fair amount pitching on the brakes and a tendency to run wide on the throttle as the rear end squats in much the same way as the old bike did.

A couple of sessions on road settings and road tyres go by and, having struggled with a bike that’s tying itself in knots as the grip overwhelms the stock settings, Yamaha’s chief test rider, Jeffrey De Vries gives us the track set-up to try out complete with Pirelli’s excellent Dragon Supercorsa Pro race tyres.

The changes made to the bike speak volumes for the quality of the R1’s suspension and show the range of adjustment. Throwing it about with almost reckless abandon, running off line and off the throttle, the front end refuses to budge. Likewise the revised rear suspension system and longer rear swing arm give enough traction to make me think twice about any rear wheel spinning heroics " it gets to the point where I give up before it does let go and the forces of physics take over. Not at any point can I lay claim to any rear wheel steering which, as much as it pains me to say it has as much to do with the combination of the YCC-T throttle, ultra-sticky Pirelli tyres and the grippy track as it does to any lack of skill/bottle on my part.

Once you get the hang of it, accept it and learn to live with it,the YCC-T system comes into its own. The throttle can be wound on so hard off the turns it’s incredible. Where it felt flat, almost gutless in the early sessions, once your right hand learns to open the throttle earlier and harder it all starts to make a bit more sense. Nailing the twistgrip harder than feels sensible takes time to adjust to, but take the time, get used to it and simply feel the bike dig in, grip and clear off into the distance. The dampened down delivery makes the bike easier to ride mid corner too. Getting back from a closed throttle, the YCC-T gets rid of any snatchiness making it incredibly easy to wind on at full lean, which happens to be a fair bit further over than last year’s bike with improved ground clearance.

Touching the pegs down is still possible though, so regular trackday riders might find a need for rearsets, though if you’re decking this bike out on the road then you’re either going too fast or getting too fat.

The midrange power is notably better than the older bike, thanks to the reversion to a 16-valve head and to the YCC-I (Yamaha Computer Controlled Intake or variable length inlet tract to the rest of us) which is totally unnoticeable while you’re riding in terms of ‘cutting in’, while the significant alteration to the top end performance is not so much the claimed extra power as the way the power hangs on for longer, all the way to the limiter rather than tailing off just short.

Howling down the long Losail start/finish straight the exhaust note, while striking the right pitch, does it a little too quietly no thanks to exhaustive (sic) emissions and noise regs. The three gear changes on the way all snick in nice and swift and the spread of ratios seems to be well matched to the motor, meaning that even on the stock gearing I seldom find myself in the ‘wrong’ gear for any given bend.

The first turn after that long straight is the only real place at Losail where a rider gets to test the brakes in earnest slowing down from the (indicated) 180mph straight to around 60mph for the third gear switchback. The brakes work phenomenally well, but then judging by the size of the huge six-pot calipers, I guess they should. They’re not massively better than the old four-potters in terms of out-and-out stopping power, but the main point Yamaha were keen to get across was the increased ‘perimeter contact’ that allows the use of smaller discs meaning less rotating inertia and a faster rate of turn in.

This same corner is a perfect place to test the slipper clutch too. Banging down three gears hard on the brakes into any corner is never easy without one and while I’d say the slipper clutch is a vast improvement over the unit fitted to the R6, it could still do with just a little more slip for my liking. Some riders prefer more slip, some less. I’ve been spoiled with an STM on my race bike that allows me to be a complete imbecile and get away with it. The Yamaha clutch needs a little more finesse, timing your downshifts and spacing them out while braking it works fine " clumsy left feet and hands are rewarded with a touch of sideways action.

To quantify just how much the R1 has improved over these last two years isn’t easy. It all depends on where you ride and how you ride. Road riders and the occasional track day rider might be better off finding an ’06 bike at a knockdown price and living with the fact that a better R1 exists, just not in their garage.

For racers and hardcore trackday riders then the benefits the new R1 will bring are without question. It is faster, it does handle better and it is easier to ride harder.

With a new Suzuki on its way in the New Year it’s too early to tell whether the R1 will reclaim its crown as top sportsbike. Time will tell and on the racetracks of the world the battle for litre class supremacy in 2007 is going to be an interesting one.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE 16 valve, liquid-cooled, inline four DISPLACEMENT 998cc BORE X STROKE 77 x 53.6mm COMPRESSION RATIO 12.7:1 CLAIMED POWER 189bhp @ 12,500rpm (with ram air) CLAIMED TORQUE 118Nm @ 10,000rpm (with ram air) CHASSIS Aluminium twin-spar FRONT SUSPENSION Fully adjustable 43mm inverted forks REAR SUSPENSION Fully adjustable monoshock FRONT BRAKES Radially-mounted six-piston calipers, 310mm discs REAR BRAKE Twin-piston caliper, 220mm disc WHEELBASE 1415mm SEAT HEIGHT 835mm DRY WEIGHT (claimed) 177kg FUEL CAPACITY 18 litres IMPORTER Yamaha UK (01932 358121) PRICE £9100 otr AVAILABLE December 2006

U
C
Lots of
Asians

Last edited by YaoMatt; November 22, 2006 at 10:33 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#2)
Ling Long

November 22, 2006, 10:16 AM

Here's the onboard video footage from Qatar... it's pretty impressive looking. Can't wait to see how it stacks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5wmihG5ZPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGZrkScr9kM

U
C
Lots of
Asians

Last edited by YaoMatt; November 22, 2006 at 10:21 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#3)
Owner & Creator

November 22, 2006, 10:17 AM

sexy x's
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Owner & Creator

November 22, 2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Here's the onboard video footage from Qatar... it's pretty impressive looking. Can't wait to see how it stacks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5wmihG5ZPs
Video

07 R1 at Losail
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

November 22, 2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage R1
I could care less if the video is a repost. It's the footage from the ride he's talking about in the article... il-retardo.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

November 22, 2006, 10:35 AM

Track Settings given to Robert Hoyles by Jeff De Vries
As spoken about in the article:

2007 R1 TRACK SETTINGS

All settings from fully in (except preload)
Standard settings in brackets

Front

Rebound 8 clicks (10)
Preload 5 rings showing (6)
Compression 8 clicks (10)

Rear

Low speed compression 1 click (12)
High speed compression 3 turns (3)
Preload 6 notch (5)
Rebound 11 clicks (12)

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#7)
( * )|( * )

November 22, 2006, 11:14 AM

Good read, looks like Yamaha is gearing more towards track oriented riding which is good for privateer racers...street riders get the added capability as well!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

November 22, 2006, 11:23 AM

Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 22, 2006, 11:24 AM

For second I thought that was a Gixxer 1000....Dooooh. Sorry guys, I shouldn't be on this thread huh??

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator

November 22, 2006, 12:00 PM

Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

November 22, 2006, 12:24 PM

Matt, just save yourself and get a 06 ZX10...hahahaha

2006 Black ZX-10
Unread
  (#12)
Owner & Creator

November 22, 2006, 04:49 PM

Unread
  (#13)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

November 22, 2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrBulldog
For second I thought that was a Gixxer 1000....Dooooh. Sorry guys, I shouldn't be on this thread huh??
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#14)
Owner & Creator

November 22, 2006, 08:02 PM

Unread
  (#15)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

November 26, 2006, 12:18 PM

ok I know this is a repost J-man but is the R1, 2007 white and and red going to be sold in the USA?? hmmmmmm me likey that color

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico