DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 567
5 members and 562 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

April 30, 2005, 02:46 PM

...Hello 2005 R6.

First impressions:

What the flying fuck is this thing. Normal men have no business on such machines. I got used to my SV's powerband, and had no qualms about taking it to redline in gears 1-3 on 27, 50, and the like. But this...I backed out of the throttle when it first started getting hairy, figuring I must be close to redline. Looked down and bike was at 7K or so...

It is massively uncomfortable compared with my SV, but I am sure it will pass as my lower back gets used to the riding position. I never understood why taller guys bitched about being cramped on sportbikes, but now I get it.

SV was much easier to turn, toss, and pitch through corners due to the single solid bar. I really have to get used to this clip-on stuff.

Looks: apples and oranges. R6 looks mean as hell, but the SV had a really brutal look to its nakedness. I do miss the SV and will own another one someday, for sure.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Has an idiot exemption

April 30, 2005, 03:40 PM

So why did you sell it and get an R6?

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#3)
Republicans for Voldemort

April 30, 2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
...Hello 2005 R6.

First impressions:

What the flying fuck is this thing. Normal men have no business on such machines. I got used to my SV's powerband, and had no qualms about taking it to redline in gears 1-3 on 27, 50, and the like. But this...I backed out of the throttle when it first started getting hairy, figuring I must be close to redline. Looked down and bike was at 7K or so...

It is massively uncomfortable compared with my SV, but I am sure it will pass as my lower back gets used to the riding position. I never understood why taller guys bitched about being cramped on sportbikes, but now I get it.

SV was much easier to turn, toss, and pitch through corners due to the single solid bar. I really have to get used to this clip-on stuff.

Looks: apples and oranges. R6 looks mean as hell, but the SV had a really brutal look to its nakedness. I do miss the SV and will own another one someday, for sure.
Ross,

I am sure you will get the hang of it in no time.... However, going from naked bike with a toob bar to a sportsbike takes some changes in style. I had to do it in reverse - I went to an SV and FZ1 - and recently sold the Sv for a DRZ400sm....

Basically, it's a matter of leverage and balance... The solid toob bar sits up higher - so it's super easy to get leverage simply by pusing on the bar and you need less body position to steer the bike... You will also probably find that the SV was more friendly at slower speed as well...

The SV is also a twin which means it's got a linear powerband - ie the power increases very smoothly all the way up to the red line... This is not how a I4 (inline 4) behaves - it will accelerate at a reasonable rate till you get to about 2/3 to the red line - then it will take off like a rocket ship - with experience you will learn to keep the I4 in the top of the powerband to make it scream... As for handling - you are going to have to get used to pushing forward and down on the inside clip on .. as well as stepping down on the inside footpeg to get the r6 to steer quickly.

Once you get used to a little more body movement you will find that the r6 is a extraordinarily quick turning bike - it's just that your body and controls are placed differently with the r6 - you sit more inside the bike - whereas on the sv you sit ON the bike. Once you get used to it - you will notice that you are alot more stable at higher speeds and can transition quicker...

Good luck

-jason
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

April 30, 2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
So why did you sell it and get an R6?
Was getting bored with the SV's lack of power, and wanted something with fairings. Also wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Jason, thanks for the detailed info. The SV was pretty self-explanatory as far as how the rider should control the bike, but this is going to be much more of a challenge. BTW, what's a DZR400sm? Some kind of small-block racebike?
Unread
  (#5)
Republicans for Voldemort

April 30, 2005, 05:46 PM

Hey no prob...
The Drz400sm is a Suzuki Dual Sports bike with different wheels, tires, suspension - the SM stands for SuperMotard...
.com is down so I can send a pic of my bike - but it looks like this
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

April 30, 2005, 06:32 PM

and what a sweet bike it is . every time i see it i start thinking of ways to get one haha.

pistol packing , monkey drinking no money bum.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jcass Send a message via Yahoo to jcass  
Unread
  (#7)
Got my Permit

May 2, 2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcass
and what a sweet bike it is . every time i see it i start thinking of ways to get one haha.
Yeah, that thing looks awesome. Is it some kind of all-purpose bike, ready to hit the dirt with a change of tires?
Unread
  (#8)
Mr. Glass

May 2, 2005, 06:37 PM

glad ya got the r6, you will enoy it much more than the sv

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

May 2, 2005, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
...Hello 2005 R6.

First impressions:

Congrats on the new bike! Never ridden an SV so not sure what to tell you!

Good choice in bike though!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year