DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
1 members and 545 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
R1 Exhaust Mod 09-Current
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

R1 Exhaust Mod 09-Current - October 14, 2012, 09:09 PM

Just wondering,

1. If I pick up a R1 09-current and switch the exhaust for a slip on without a PCV or a remap how will that effect performance? Will the ECU adjust or will it mess up the engine over time?

2. If I get a full system does yamaha offer a chip for that or is PCV the only real solution (or remap OEM ECU)?

3. Given that the newer R1's have several ride modes how problematic is it to switch to a slip on or full system and not screw up those different modes or traction control?

Thanks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tiger2003VMI  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

October 14, 2012, 09:34 PM

I don't see any issue except you probably would only get sound benefits from an exhaust and not performance benefits if you install it without tuning it somehow. Hasn't anyone in the R1 forums done this before? I'm sure you'll find many instances.

My MTS comes with riding modes, traction control etc and it the 11 degree version of the 1198 superbike motor... and most people run it without any type of tuning.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 15, 2012, 03:28 AM

Going with a slip-on kit will not need any fueling adjustments, the bike will run as it did normally but with a different note.

A full system will not require fueling adjustments but it is highly recommend, the bike may not run as smooth as it did stock without a proper tune/map.

There are all sorts of kits out there available for you ranging from ecu flashes to piggy-back system including piggy-back systems with add-ons such as autotune, quick shifter, etc.

Ultimately, it depends on how much money you want to spend.

-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 15, 2012, 10:01 AM

You have 3 options.....

1. Slip on
Slip on with Y pipe connector (eliminates the catalytic converter)
Full System (headers to the back)

Benifits of this on a R1.
Less heat on your legs and bike temps go down a few degrees (like 2). The OEM system is a heavy brick so going with a mid pipe or full will lighten up the bike and you will feel the difference in the leaning/turn-in since you do not have as much top end weight.

Anytime you take a bike with catalytic converters and remove them you will through off the fuel to air ratio. If it runs to rich it will dump excessive fuel and you will have glowing orange header pipes....and after while they will deteriorate faster.

If you are a casual rider then you might not feel the difference. I do believe the R1's computer will make a slight adjustment to the map.

Only the 2012 and 2013 R1 have Traction control.

I just put a mid systems on my girls bike. Difference other than weight I felt was how much faster the throttle spool up..it have a quicker/faster response.

I still recommend a fuel controller so that the bike can be tuned.

Yosh R-77's about $1,050 shipped.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
Hello

October 15, 2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger2003VMI View Post
Just wondering,

1. If I pick up a R1 09-current and switch the exhaust for a slip on without a PCV or a remap how will that effect performance? Will the ECU adjust or will it mess up the engine over time?

2. If I get a full system does yamaha offer a chip for that or is PCV the only real solution (or remap OEM ECU)?

3. Given that the newer R1's have several ride modes how problematic is it to switch to a slip on or full system and not screw up those different modes or traction control?

Thanks
Want to buy my bike? Send me a PM and I'll reply with details. All it needs is an ecu reflash.

Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 15, 2012, 08:29 PM

After I sell my 08 Honda 1000....I might look for a 09 R1 salvage to toy around with...Im loving that bike.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

October 15, 2012, 09:09 PM

On an unrelated note, are the R1s good on the track? I know they do well on the racing circuits but the street version is usually underpowered and heavy for a liter bike no? I'm looking to get a liter bike as a track bike if the 750 plans fall through and I figured R1s power might be more manageable and I hear the cross crank is pimp.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 15, 2012, 09:22 PM

tyical things can get the R1 track ready...ECU re-flash, I think Id go with a full Akra exhaust, Bazzaz unit and the usuall TTX rear and Ohlins front. The advantage on the track will be the cross plane acting like a V engine and supplying a decent amount of torque and traction. The bike feels light. I was on it yesterday....in the hood tho...not on a blast.

Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 16, 2012, 06:16 AM

I've read somewhere they have some frame stiffness issues at track speed. Requires modification.
Unread
  (#10)
On vacation

October 16, 2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillajoe View Post
Want to buy my bike? Send me a PM and I'll reply with details. All it needs is an ecu reflash.

Trade for a 90cc dirt bike and two reach arounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a llama again!

October 16, 2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
After I sell my 08 Honda 1000....I might look for a 09 R1 salvage to toy around with...Im loving that bike.
Details on the 1K.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#12)
No Touchie!

October 16, 2012, 08:21 AM

Have a slip-on on my R1. Needed no modifications for it, as it was just a weight reduction and better sound appeal. For the street, you really don't need to do anything to the R1.

It's just your desire. If you want the performance of a full exhaust, go for it..but know there will be added costs to it. If you're just looking for appearance and sound improvement, slip on suits your purpose.

Taken the R1 to the track many times and it's great. It's nice and light...this bike loves to go. Corners great, i ride it a bit like the R6, i tend not to square off turns like you should a litter bike and it performs great. I haven't noticed any stiffness issue. As a track dayer, former racer....we really aren't riding it hard enough to make a big difference. The bike isn't the limitation, the rider is on this bike.

In search of the perfect lap......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to sam-197  
Unread
  (#13)
where the good spotz at ?

October 16, 2012, 09:02 AM

buy an arrow system .... they do all there R&D so you don't need to remap

DBR 4 Life
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to kidcycle Send a message via AIM to kidcycle  
Unread
  (#14)
noise

October 16, 2012, 09:25 AM

I saved some loot and went with a A & R motorsports baffle kit, the pipes are titanium and are already light. Removed the rivets and followed instructions to debaffle and repack, re-riveted and bolted back on. You can go ahead and go with a M4 mid-pipe to eliminate the catalyst that you see by the footpegs while you're doing slip-ons and the M4 works with the factory mufflers.

I liked my A & R kit, saved a bunch, louder than any slip ons you will buy (IF you like to hear the x-plane, which I did) but not obnoxious like the TOCE pipes.

ECU flash to derestrict the throttle dialing back to 80% in the upper RPMs.

Best advise, sign up for the r1-forum.com and read, tuners are also on site and is valuable information abound from around the globe.

Street is all I rode mine, and is a BLAST on the back roads, doesn't like commuting in traffic and neither did I.

A mode is the way to go

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#15)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 16, 2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Details on the 1K.
bone stock all the way around lol
4,300 miles.