DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
3 members and 530 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

May 5, 2005, 04:25 PM

This maybe one of those things newbies get all worried about just to find that it's not really a big deal, so help me out here. I just got a '99 R6 with about 11,000 miles, and rode it for the first reasonable ride last night. I felt like it was a little difficult (kind of a double clicking) to get into second. I might not have been firm enough in the shift, but it felt like that a number of times. I need to go out again to see if it was a one time thing, but it just got me a little concerned about my new pride and joy.

I was reading on r6-forum.com and r6messagenet.com about this "second gear" problem. It seems to be more common on older r6 99-01 (or is it 02), but I even saw a few '03 posting about the problem (maybe they just suck at shifting and are pissed about it, I don't know). So I wanted to ask if anyone on here has had any personal experience with this problem? Supposedly 2nd gear will slip out of gear at higher rpms (10-12k). Are there any warning signs that I should be on the lookout for?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Republicans for Voldemort

May 5, 2005, 04:59 PM

check out .com and pm witold...... he know all bout it...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

May 6, 2005, 09:03 AM

anyone else even heard of this?
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

May 6, 2005, 09:09 AM

make sure your chain is adjusted and not too tight.

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

May 6, 2005, 09:27 AM

You're right about the second gear problem, you would notice it right away. It would feel like you're in neutral when you're in second gear, the mill would keep revving, but the bike won't accelerate. As far as the 1-2 shift, all R6s have that, they're notorious for the rough 1-2 shift. You can try using full synthetic oil. You can also vary how far you disengage the clutch when shifting to see how far (lever travel, in relation to the friction point) it will shift the smoothest. Also make sure you're lifting up all the way on the lever, do it like you mean it, but don't try to kill it. You can also avoid taking 1st gear all the way up. I have a 99 and do the 1-2 shift at or below 10K rpm, any higher and I hear "bang, bang, bang" before it goes into gear. I hate that sound, so I short shift first gear, but take the other gears all the way up.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

May 6, 2005, 09:41 AM

Those first gen R6's have a long throw so you may not be making as positive as a shift as it wants. They made it better for 01-02, and its much better on the 03-04's.

And I agree, check out the chain, which can cause all types of shifting weirdness if not adjusted correctly, and can mess up your rear suspension also. I remember once I bought a bike and while riding it home it seemed like the trans was super tight, and I nearly highsided twice when zipping it through corners at a fun pace. I was worried it was simply too hard of a bike to ride. But it turned out the chain was so tight there was NO slack, I loosened it and the bike was much better behaved.
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

May 6, 2005, 10:04 AM

I'll definitely check the chain. I'm going to be giving it a good all over tune up within the next week or two (probably next weekend) as I don't know the previous owner. Might consider flipping to 1 up 5 down shifting for a more positive shift overall, I'd imagine that would help w/ the 1-2 shift, right?
Unread
  (#8)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

May 6, 2005, 10:34 AM

GP shifting adds +5 to your l33t factor.
Unread
  (#9)
Site Owner

May 6, 2005, 11:01 AM

Switch to GP.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#10)
Groundhogs can play dead

May 6, 2005, 11:08 AM

This thread makes me feel better.
Even though I have an '04, I still have that shifting problem.

Great thing about it, it generally only happens when I'm on the throttle more than normal, which generally only happens when I have witnesses. So when I'm trying to be cool and rev through my gears, I'll wind up first gear and then switch to 2nd, but find it's not there... great. miss-shift.
all the more reason to keep my stock exhaust.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

May 6, 2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
This thread makes me feel better.
Even though I have an '04, I still have that shifting problem.

Great thing about it, it generally only happens when I'm on the throttle more than normal, which generally only happens when I have witnesses. So when I'm trying to be cool and rev through my gears, I'll wind up first gear and then switch to 2nd, but find it's not there... great. miss-shift.
all the more reason to keep my stock exhaust.

If it's a new bike T, give it some miles before you worry too much. Every single Yamaha I have ever owned has had a notchy 1st ->2nd upshift. Over time, they tend to get better. Factory makes a shift kit that replaces the detent sping and arm. I installed one on my previous YZF600R. It made it a bit crisper but in all honesty just made things better in my head. My last one had about 30k on it and never had a 2nd gear problem. Just hard shifts

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
Unread
  (#12)
Groundhogs can play dead

May 6, 2005, 12:16 PM

it's got about 7k miles on it.... I don't know that the problem has gotten better, but I know what to expect now. Shift like you mean it.

Tanya
Unread
  (#13)
Site Admin

May 6, 2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffa
I'll definitely check the chain. I'm going to be giving it a good all over tune up within the next week or two (probably next weekend) as I don't know the previous owner. Might consider flipping to 1 up 5 down shifting for a more positive shift overall, I'd imagine that would help w/ the 1-2 shift, right?
it did feel weird goin from 1-2 on my 02 r6. switch to GP shifting, and problem solved. 25 bux for the rod, and your problem is solved. Plus you get faster shifts, well worth the 25 dollar mod.
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

May 6, 2005, 12:42 PM

yeah yamahas suck like that... i also had a yzf600r and i think the stiffer spring in the factory shift kit does help. you should try just preloading the shifter before you are ready to shift and dont get off the gas all the way just quickly roll off a little for a split second when you pull the clutch in and it will hit 2nd solid. fargin yamis.. maybe adjust your shfiter so it sits closer to your boot also.. never hit a flase nuetral with this technique.. hit plenty with lazy shifts and soft sneakers on.
Unread
  (#15)
Groundhogs can play dead

May 6, 2005, 12:45 PM

I don't understand the whole GP shifting ..."fad" though. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Besides, knowing me, I'd forget to tell someone about it and they'd ride my bike and drop it or something...

Tanya