DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
2 members and 561 guests
Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
R6 trunk waterproofing
Unread
  (#1)
TNT
GP Champ

R6 trunk waterproofing - March 27, 2012, 05:43 PM

First off - similar threads found "Baby elephant trunk penis" - wtf...nvm I don't want to know.

Secondly...

edit to add: on a 2007 R6...

Has anyone had issues with water leaking into the trunk area between the gap on the pillion seat and the rear plastics? I recently modded a seat to accept a Givi mounting bracket and removed the foam so that the entire seat covers less area, resulting in the gaps where water can enter being a bit larger. Does anyone have some waterproofing tips for the trunk, or is this not usually a concern? All my documents are in ziplocks, but I'm more concerned about the taillight wiring and such. Are there any other areas in the trunk where water can leak into more vital parts of the bike (migration to battery well for instance)?

I'll try to get some pictures up to explain what I'm talking about because I know I have most of you wondering "WTF" at this point.

Thanks for any advice.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
No more 1050 :(

March 27, 2012, 06:39 PM

Not much of a concern. Unless you rigged the taillight up yourself somehow, the factory wires/ connections are somewhat weatherproof.

If you're that worried about it, you might be able to put a bead of silicone to act as a seal. Not very familiar with the plastics of a R6 so can't suggest a spot... chalk is your friend though if you want to go this way.
Unread
  (#3)
TNT
GP Champ

March 27, 2012, 07:56 PM

Here are some pictures. I'm concerned about when the case is not on, then there isn't good overhead protection.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...14741884_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...35217839_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...86244351_n.jpg

I may look into some kind of silicone that I can add - I need to add some material on the left side anyways to get rid of some wiggle with the locking lever.

Sorry, no photo posting site other than f-book...

Last edited by TNT; March 27, 2012 at 07:58 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
On vacation

March 27, 2012, 08:29 PM

What DRZ said, most connections are fairly waterproof. I wouldn't suggest silicone in areas where stuff will be removed, like between your seat and plastics. I would leave it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 27, 2012, 08:35 PM

Put your stuff in zip lock bags and don't worry about it.

The wiring is already designed to account for this.
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 27, 2012, 09:53 PM

Good god that thing's ugly.

Nearly all of the connectors on the bike are water resistant if not waterproof.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)

March 27, 2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
What DRZ said, most connections are fairly waterproof. I wouldn't suggest silicone in areas where stuff will be removed, like between your seat and plastics. I would leave it as is.
Didn't mean there, was thinking underneath if the seat has some kind of a lip or whatnot that rests on a flush piece of the tray. Like I said, not familiar with this bike so just talking hypotheticals. Let's say there's a lip. Put some chalk on it, put the seat on, take the seat off. You'll be left with an outline of where it touches. Some type of silicone based stuff. (Small bead) around this outline, wait for it to dry. Yay waterproof.

Disclaimer: I don't think you would have an even outline after the chalk in this application, so the caulk would be worthless. Water loves gaps.
Unread
  (#8)

March 27, 2012, 10:39 PM

Oh, and that case offers little to no rain protection while you're moving... water loves gaps. Your body will block most of the water, what you have to worry about is the roostertail from the rear tire. The Speed Triple with its little bobtail is pretty bad in this regard, but I don't care. My back gets splashed, the pilion seat gets grimey. Wipe it off, good to go.
Unread
  (#9)
TNT
GP Champ

March 28, 2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Good god that thing's ugly.

Nearly all of the connectors on the bike are water resistant if not waterproof.
Ugly? I'm considering naming my bike "Quasimoto" - ah c'mon, you knew that pun was coming.

I've solved the "what if the trunk latch fails" problem. I'll be a redneck yet, just you wait and see!

Yes, that is a cut up laundry net bag.

Thanks for the heads up on what to worry about with water - I did wire the license plate bolt lights and didn't use proper connectors, just wrapped the wires around the existing connectors, but then slid the plastic holders back over them, so it provides some protection and keeps the connection secure. Other than that, all the docs and whatnot are in ziplocks so game on! I like riding somewhere and tossing my helmet, gloves, and even jacket in the case. At least that way if someone steals my bike they don't have to go squid.

Last edited by TNT; March 28, 2012 at 04:08 PM..