DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
3 members and 526 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Scotts steering damper install on a '06 R6
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

Scotts steering damper install on a '06 R6 - October 9, 2007, 12:37 PM

Sorry if this question has been asked before; I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I have a '06 R6 and after logging 16K miles and a few track days and it is time to add a steering damper.

I've been leaning towards the Scotts because I have one on my dirtbike and I'll like to keep things the same (and she has done me well in the dirt). Looking at pictures and the installation notes it mentions drilling and tapping the frame. This is were I got a bit concerned. Looking that this photo it is clear where the holes where added.

If my memory serves me correct there aren't any holes in the frame before installation so this isn't the easy re-drill a larger hole to tape out. I'm fairly good with the mechanical skill and would feel comfortable doing the drilling. Do they give you a template or anything else to make sure the holes are in the correct spot, or do you just line up the "spanner" (for lack of a better term) mark your hole and go for it?

I just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I do this and that I understand what needs to be done when I go to do the install. I'm just leery of drilling the frame as you only get one shot and a mistake could be fatal to the frame. Itís almost worth the piece of mind (and wallet) to let a shop do the drilling (if there is a shop that will do it) and put the responsibility on them.

Also posted on R6messagenet, thanks in advance for the help!

Charlie

Last edited by donniecs; October 9, 2007 at 05:35 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

October 9, 2007, 12:42 PM

The way mine is mounted to my GSXR is there is a collar that goes where the center triple bolt is, the silver plate under the gold damper screws into the side of this collar via a bunch of allen key screws through the sides of the plate (I only see one of the same type of screws in your picture). Since yours doesn't appear to be mounted to the triple the same way, you might have to tap the triple... though it doesn't make sense because the design on mine would appear to work perfectly in your application.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
Retired to most ...

October 9, 2007, 12:49 PM

Ok now I can see what you were talking about Sunday. I don't get why they made that extra bracket that connects to the frame. Makes no sense. On my bike the bottom pin atachment is held on ONLY by the tank bolts. My only guess is that because that tank only has one front tank bolt and if the bracket wasn't there it would move when force was exerted on it by the damper.

This is one of those take your time jobs. Mark those holes CLEARLY and check them several times before you drill.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

October 9, 2007, 12:55 PM

If you look at the two bolts to the left and right of the upper tank bolt and tower pin. If I recall the frame does have factory drilled holes right there, just the one just aft of the middle of the upper triple clamp to hold the tank into place.

Charlie
Unread
  (#5)
Street Bonk Bum.....

October 9, 2007, 01:13 PM

the gpr doesnt require drilling
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

October 9, 2007, 06:05 PM

I think I will be going with the GPR model, I'm not to keen on drilling into the frame plus it looks like it is a lot easier to adjust. It had some good reviews on the net also which was enough to convince me that it isn't worth drilling into my frame to use a Scotts.

Charlie