DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
4 members and 551 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, shiphteey, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
*** Welding? ***
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

*** Welding? *** - August 21, 2011, 02:11 PM

Does anybody know of a welding/trade school that is a short course version preferbly in MD? I checked out the local community colleges (AACC) and didn't really find what I was looking for. They had probably 8 different courses that were 40-50hrs each. I'm not looking to get certified for a career in welding, but I just want to be able to know my welds will hold and not crack or break over time.

So if anybody knows of a 3 day/weekend abbreviated course of basics and some hand on, then that would be perfect. Just enough to get going, and the rest can be trial and error. Or if somebody who's a veteran in welding, wants to make some extra cash on the side for teaching then that would work too.

I know alot of people on here are networked, and have connections through the related industries/shops. Thanks all!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

August 21, 2011, 02:51 PM

Since you live in PG County you might check out PG County's eve adult education classes. I have never checked into it so I have no idea what they offer - so I have no clue if anything is there.

In Montgomery County they offer a number of classes over days or eves at MC/Rockville... last time I checked like maybe 10 yrs ago.

I got my welding certificate through MoCo. It was 2 or 3 hrs per week over about 8 weeks IIRC back in the late 1980's (yea, I'm old). And 20+ yrs ago I took several eve machinist classes through Fairfax County public schools before I got a job in a machine shop.

You might also try some of the welding eqpt distibutors. Learning to weld steel is not that difficult. We started w/ oxy-acetylene, then stick welding, then TIG. TIG is very challenging. I am pretty good w/ an OA torch, and can be pretty good on a MIG (we're talking steel now).

TIG is alway a level up. Its not something you "figure out" in a few classes. There is a reason alum welding is expensive. It takes a lot of time to master.
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

August 21, 2011, 03:07 PM

idk how far you are willing to drive but i know In leesburg there is a tech school that does eve classes for welding and other things. i think you can sign up through nova community collage.
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

August 21, 2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
Since you live in PG County you might check out PG County's eve adult education classes. I have never checked into it so I have no idea what they offer - so I have no clue if anything is there.

In Montgomery County they offer a number of classes over days or eves at MC/Rockville... last time I checked like maybe 10 yrs ago.

I got my welding certificate through MoCo. It was 2 or 3 hrs per week over about 8 weeks IIRC back in the late 1980's (yea, I'm old). And 20+ yrs ago I took several eve machinist classes through Fairfax County public schools before I got a job in a machine shop.

You might also try some of the welding eqpt distibutors. Learning to weld steel is not that difficult. We started w/ oxy-acetylene, then stick welding, then TIG. TIG is very challenging. I am pretty good w/ an OA torch, and can be pretty good on a MIG (we're talking steel now).

TIG is alway a level up. Its not something you "figure out" in a few classes. There is a reason alum welding is expensive. It takes a lot of time to master.

I actually work near AACC and could make the evening classes easy. They have a fundmental class thats $1300, and each dedicated class after that is $2000 per class. The fundamental class would probably be good to get me going. Seems kinda high, but thats probably just because I've been out of school for so long. Really just looking for some MIG skills, and later down the road get into TIG. But I'm just looking to do some project stuff. I've probably paid over $2k in welding to local shops over the past year, where that would have paid for a decent basic setup instead of my own. So I've finally said enough is enough, besides it seems like a skill that wouldn't hurt to have too...

Genuine Hypertherm Consumables - Earlbeck Corporation