DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
1 members and 563 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
**Political** Ron Paul and the Bailout
Unread
  (#1)
B
It goes to 11.

**Political** Ron Paul and the Bailout - October 1, 2008, 03:31 PM

I like Ron Paul. I've heard that he's misled, unrealistic, etc. etc. But it's never been politically sound to tell it how it is... politically sound is to tell it like the highest number of voters want to hear it, or to say it in a confusing enough way to confuse enough of them into thinking you're doing something they will like.

His answers are always short and succinct, they lack the couched tact of the traditional Capital Hill liars.

Crazy or not, I think he's a good man with good intentions, so even when I don't agree - I feel he always has a good perspective to add to any issue. And good perspective is exactly what's required to make good choices. He is in the political business of empowering the people to run their government, and it's rare to find a politician who's in it to do that. And you'll never find him in high office, unfortunately.

Anyway, enjoy. Educated opinions are welcome, as with any of my political posts keep the personals on craigslist... or go get run off the road on 66 to rant.

He who attacks the man, knew the argument too little to make sense.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...nda/index.html

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#2)
Eddie would go ...

October 1, 2008, 03:57 PM

Interesting but perhaps too simplistic in parts (though i do like his straightforward approach). and of course that short interview was not the full depth story 0 lets give him that.

He may be right that we have to let markets and housing adjust to their appropriate levels, however he forgets that means turning your back on all the shareholder value that was lost. Lets not forget that the 'fat cats' represent a minutely small portion of that lost value. True some of that may come back over time, but lots of that has put many of the 'common man' in a really screwed position. Its this mainstay spending at Walmart, Safeway etc that we need to sustain at the heart of the economy.

Secondly, buying bad debt has historically been a good thing for the government (see S&L bailout). Simply put: economy spirals downward and confidence is lost, govt steps in to buy depreciated stocks/assets , restores confidence and market recovers. govt then sells said purchases for a tidy profit. In the current bailout plan that could net the govt a tidy return of close to a trillion dollars....yes a trillion...

Look at this as an adendum to your post Ben, not a cross

i knew I should have left this alone.....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

October 1, 2008, 04:10 PM

Dude is right.
Unread
  (#4)
What failure looks like

October 1, 2008, 04:15 PM

I agree with the fact that he is one of the few that do tell it like it is but I think that he could have a greater influence within the Democratic party. As it stands he takes away votes from undecideds.

I also find the guy mildly entertaining. :RP shakes fist: Revolt :/RP shaking fist:

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

October 1, 2008, 04:19 PM

I wish he were more marketable in this BS two party system.

I also like the ideas of performance based FDIC insurance levels.
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 1, 2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
I wish he were more marketable in this BS two party system.

I also like the ideas of performance based FDIC insurance levels.
And I wish the Networks would allow a legitimate candidate like Ron Paul participate in debates.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#7)
I'm a llama again!

October 1, 2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBontheMV
And I wish the Networks would allow a legitimate candidate like Ron Paul participate in debates.

Ya think. Fucking press needs a giant steel barbed dildo shoved up there collective asses.
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

October 1, 2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Interesting but perhaps too simplistic in parts (though i do like his straightforward approach). and of course that short interview was not the full depth story 0 lets give him that.

He may be right that we have to let markets and housing adjust to their appropriate levels, however he forgets that means turning your back on all the shareholder value that was lost. Lets not forget that the 'fat cats' represent a minutely small portion of that lost value. True some of that may come back over time, but lots of that has put many of the 'common man' in a really screwed position. Its this mainstay spending at Walmart, Safeway etc that we need to sustain at the heart of the economy.

Secondly, buying bad debt has historically been a good thing for the government (see S&L bailout). Simply put: economy spirals downward and confidence is lost, govt steps in to buy depreciated stocks/assets , restores confidence and market recovers. govt then sells said purchases for a tidy profit. In the current bailout plan that could net the govt a tidy return of close to a trillion dollars....yes a trillion...

Look at this as an adendum to your post Ben, not a cross

i knew I should have left this alone.....lol
In a critique of Dr. Pauls synopsis, I could not have stated even minutely better than above, Dutch. I agree on all counts.

I was actually struck by the straightforwardness of his answers, even if unpopular. The intention wasn't really to post this as a support thread for the Ron Paul idealism, to be honest I feel precisely as you stated above, I just like the way the man does business.

EDIT: I'd love to read something by him that goes into more detail on how to restore consumer confidence inside of his model... other than the let chaos take it's free market course. The FDIC performance based adjusted levels, though oversimplified, is a very interesting idea. Do to the banks what they do to the customer, thus regulating them even if they aren't regulating the borrower.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Last edited by B; October 1, 2008 at 05:07 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
Eddie would go ...

October 1, 2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
In a critique of Dr. Pauls synopsis, I could not have stated even minutely better than above, Dutch. I agree on all counts.

I was actually struck by the straightforwardness of his answers, even if unpopular. The intention wasn't really to post this as a support thread for the Ron Paul idealism, to be honest I feel precisely as you stated above, I just like the way the man does business.
I'm quoting this before you decide to change it..

:highfive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

October 1, 2008, 05:09 PM

Doubtful

Time is better spent appreciating people who take the time to understand the processes and their histories... even if in idealogical contention.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#11)
Fun Lover or lover of fun

October 1, 2008, 05:17 PM

So everyone's finally starting to come aound and agree with me that he should be our next president!

R.I.P. Eric. You were truly like a younger brother to me. May you live on in all those you helped and reached out to help. You are truly missed!

tfinch: well, actually, if he did, that's fine cause it's in the pockets!
tfinch
: Mike, can you feel bubbles floating around in there?

tfinch: Bubbles! Yes! Gurgly bubbles!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Timultuous  
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

October 1, 2008, 05:24 PM

HAHAHAHA... who are you?

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#13)
Olde Pfart (tm)

October 1, 2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
HAHAHAHA... who are you?
Someone who doesn't let the machinery of the two major political parties make the decisions...

"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin

Every politician should serve two terms... one in office followed immediately by an equal or longer-length one in jail... except in New Jersey where jail time is a pre-requisite to holding office.

Donkeys and Elephants belong in a zoo, not Congress.

#include <wit.h>
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Darth Piper  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

October 1, 2008, 06:12 PM

Go Ron Paul! I wish he had a chance.

M.A.R.R.C. Cornerworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiriser
It takes a special kind of crazy to stand on a corner/on track dodging motorcycles for free.
Unread
  (#15)
Disinformation Age

October 1, 2008, 08:45 PM

He was ignored because he talked about the economy when the debates were all about Vietnam, 9/11 and Chuck Norris.