DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
0 members and 566 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
1,000 acres burned in Shennandoah National park and still burning.
Unread
  (#1)
I got nuthin

1,000 acres burned in Shennandoah National park and still burning. - February 20, 2011, 01:15 AM

Firefighters from across the country headed to Shenandoah National Park « Warren County Report Newspaper

By Dan McDermott
Warren County Report
FRONT ROYAL — 125 firefighters from Virginia and across the United States are headed to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive to battle a wildfire that has consumed between 800 and 1,000 acres thus far, according to an official with the Warren County, Va. Fire & Rescue Department.
There are currently two large active fires in the area made worse by strong winds throughout the Commonwealth.
The fire currently ravaging the national park started earlier today on Parkside View Drive in Browntown and spread into Shenandoah National Park.
There have been no evacuations in the Browntown area. That fire is largely contained on the Warren County side but is still spreading in the park.
A second fire started on Lookout Point Way in Linden earlier today. A line has been built and/or burned around this fire but it is not contained at this point. It has consumed 50-75 acres thus far. Two homes were lost. Virginia Department of Forestry firefighters are en route to assist.
Limited access has resumed to unaffected areas of Linden. Two shelters have opened for evacuees. One is at the Linden Fire Station and the main shelter is at Skyline High School where Red Cross and Warren County Emergency Management Services are on scene.
The Va. Dept. of Emergency Management said there are more than 100 wildfires burning in many areas of Virginia:
“Firefighters in at least 50 localities have been battling outdoor fires for much of the day supported, in many cases, by neighboring communities. The Virginia Department of Forestry is working two significant fires in Rockingham and Warren counties. Also, the National Park Service and U.S. Forest Service are working fires in western Virginia.
“Governor McDonnell has been receiving briefings throughout the day and is closely monitoring the situation along with agency heads and cabinet secretaries.
“Fires have temporarily closed several roads in Virginia including Interstate 64 in New Kent County and I-95 ramps in Prince William County. The Virginia Department of Transportation and Virginia State Police have been handling traffic control and detours. Motorists are advised to avoid using Route 60. Routes 5, 10 and 460 are alternate routes.
“Residents in some communities were evacuated when their homes were threatened. An estimated 100 residents in Louisa County have been evacuated, and a temporary shelter is being opened there.”
Thanks to Janet Michael for assisting us in gathering information in Warren County.
Dan McDermott is Publisher of Warren County Report: editor@warrencountyreport.com

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

February 20, 2011, 01:25 AM

man today was crazy. went in to work (I work at UMD) and decided to go for a run. there was a decent sized brush fire along the running trail by the golf course. on the way home 95N/S was completely closed down due to some fire at a mulch plant. i took the wr250x into the woods to investigate, shit was definitely blowing smoke. i know the wind was def crazy, but what is sparking these things?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Ton Up!

February 20, 2011, 02:31 AM

Arson.

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#4)
GDMFSOB

February 20, 2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
man today was crazy. went in to work (I work at UMD) and decided to go for a run. there was a decent sized brush fire along the running trail by the golf course. on the way home 95N/S was completely closed down due to some fire at a mulch plant. i took the wr250x into the woods to investigate, shit was definitely blowing smoke. i know the wind was def crazy, but what is sparking these things?
Didn't you answer your own question?
Probably some A hole with a Winston.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#5)
Can't Find the Ditch

February 20, 2011, 08:48 AM

cigerattes

06 Honda F4I #36-Bought it back!
First Track Day 9/1/09
MARCC Supporter
TPM
Roger Lyle #36

WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.
ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE.
Unread
  (#6)
I got nuthin

February 20, 2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrains View Post
cigerattes
+1

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2001 Suzuki SV 650
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

February 20, 2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
I saw that same fire and actually drove thru it just as it was starting and the fire engines were rolling in.

It was off Old Gun Powder Road (irony) and Van Deusen down the block from the Fairland Aquatic and Sports complex in Laurel.

That fire blew thick smoke clouds that could be seen 5 miles away for over 8 hours. My brothers spot is about 3 miles from the mulch plant and smoke clouds descended on the neighborhood like the fire was next door.

Now everyones house and car smells like we were burning shitty wood inside.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Ton Up!

February 20, 2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
My redneck neighbors, when I lived in Deale, smoked a cartoon of that shit everyday

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

February 20, 2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Biker View Post
My redneck neighbors, when I lived in Deale, smoked a cartoon of that shit everyday

NASCAR brand allegiance.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
BE ENCOURAGED!

February 20, 2011, 12:26 PM

Yep. Those fires are very close to my house. The smoke cloud was huge. They have them contained at this point so we were very blessed it wasn't worse.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

February 20, 2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
hahaha. it wasn't me, i swear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I saw that same fire and actually drove thru it just as it was starting and the fire engines were rolling in.

It was off Old Gun Powder Road (irony) and Van Deusen down the block from the Fairland Aquatic and Sports complex in Laurel.

That fire blew thick smoke clouds that could be seen 5 miles away for over 8 hours. My brothers spot is about 3 miles from the mulch plant and smoke clouds descended on the neighborhood like the fire was next door.

Now everyones house and car smells like we were burning shitty wood inside.
yeah man it was right off of van deusen, i live right by there as well. all the roads including 95 were blocked off by the time i was heading back from work. so i had to find an off road route to get closer.
sunset hitting the smoke:

Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

February 20, 2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Biker View Post

He has a John Holmes/Ghey Pron actor look....

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

February 20, 2011, 02:26 PM

Guzz, glad to hear you're home was not damaged.

Damn smokers... (Hides pack of Camels)
Unread
  (#14)
Yo quiero Trackday!

February 20, 2011, 04:59 PM

Just got back from taking the wife to the place where pops had the accident on RT33. Not sure if we are talking about the same fire, but there was burned areas on the national forest right before the curves on RT33, in fact, some of it was still burning.
Unread
  (#15)
I got nuthin

February 20, 2011, 05:47 PM

Here are some pics from Front Royal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire.jpg (38.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg fire1.jpg (67.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg fire2.jpg (58.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg fire3.jpg (55.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg fire4.jpg (18.1 KB, 24 views)

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2001 Suzuki SV 650