DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
3 members and 548 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
10 Stingrays Killed Since Irwin's Death
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP
 
WvGoDFather's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,776
Join Date: September 11, 2005
Location: Eastern Panhandle of Wv
10 Stingrays Killed Since Irwin's Death - September 12, 2006, 01:15 PM

The Associated Press
By MERAIAH FOLEY
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) At least 10 stingrays have been killed since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was fatally injured by one of the fish, an official said Tuesday, prompting a spokesman for the late TV star's animal charity to urge people not take revenge on the animals.
Irwin died last week after a stingray barb pierced his chest as he recorded a show off the Great Barrier Reef.
Stingray bodies since have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland state on Australia's eastern coast. Two were discovered Tuesday with their tails lopped off, state fisheries department official Wayne Sumpton said.
Sumpton said fishermen who inadvertently catch the diamond-shaped rays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but the practice was uncommon. Stingrays often are caught in fishing nets by mistake and should be returned to the sea, Sumpton said.
Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation group, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for Irwin's death.
"It may be some sort of retribution, or it may be fear from certain individuals, or it just may be yet another callous act toward wildlife," he said.
He said killing stingrays was "not what Steve was about."
"We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," he said.
Stingrays are usually shy, unobtrusive fish that rummage the sea bottom for food or burrow into the sand.
They have a serrated spine up to 10 inches long on their tails, which they can lash when stepped on or otherwise frightened.
The spines emit toxins that can kill many small creatures and cause excruciating pain in humans. Few people have died from the poison, but the spines can badly tear flesh and the wounds are prone to infections, including tetanus.
Hornby said people should treat stingrays with caution, but "there is still no need to ... kill or mutilate these important animals."


"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Nubbs ban yourself!
 
n2sport's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,000
Join Date: June 27, 2006
Location: Fredneck MD
September 12, 2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvGoDFather
The Associated Press
By MERAIAH FOLEY
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) At least 10 stingrays have been killed since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was fatally injured by one of the fish, an official said Tuesday, prompting a spokesman for the late TV star's animal charity to urge people not take revenge on the animals.
Irwin died last week after a stingray barb pierced his chest as he recorded a show off the Great Barrier Reef.
Stingray bodies since have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland state on Australia's eastern coast. Two were discovered Tuesday with their tails lopped off, state fisheries department official Wayne Sumpton said.
Sumpton said fishermen who inadvertently catch the diamond-shaped rays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but the practice was uncommon. Stingrays often are caught in fishing nets by mistake and should be returned to the sea, Sumpton said.
Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation group, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for Irwin's death.
"It may be some sort of retribution, or it may be fear from certain individuals, or it just may be yet another callous act toward wildlife," he said.
He said killing stingrays was "not what Steve was about."
"We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," he said.
Stingrays are usually shy, unobtrusive fish that rummage the sea bottom for food or burrow into the sand.
They have a serrated spine up to 10 inches long on their tails, which they can lash when stepped on or otherwise frightened.
The spines emit toxins that can kill many small creatures and cause excruciating pain in humans. Few people have died from the poison, but the spines can badly tear flesh and the wounds are prone to infections, including tetanus.
Hornby said people should treat stingrays with caution, but "there is still no need to ... kill or mutilate these important animals."
The human race will never cease to amaze me!!!


To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
DAS BOOT
 
LadyK's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,986
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Location: Hell, need some suntan lotion?
September 12, 2006, 01:33 PM

Unfortunately, people will take it out on the animals because they think they are justified in doing so... problem is- they aren't thinking that WE are in THEIR world....they are DANGEROUS... just because you are familiar with dangerous animals doesn't mean that NOTHING will ever happen. Unfortunately for him... it did.


Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Nubbs ban yourself!
 
n2sport's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,000
Join Date: June 27, 2006
Location: Fredneck MD
September 12, 2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Unfortunately, people will take it out on the animals because they think they are justified in doing so... problem is- they aren't thinking that WE are in THEIR world....they are DANGEROUS... just because you are familiar with dangerous animals doesn't mean that NOTHING will ever happen. Unfortunately for him... it did.
To me it is amazing that they seem to have some connection with Steve but obviously didn't understand him one bit. If they did they would know that hurting any animal like this would be the last thing he would want. Sad really that his lifes work trying to teach people about animals and it seems that for these it was wasted.


To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
DAS BOOT
 
LadyK's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,986
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Location: Hell, need some suntan lotion?
September 12, 2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport
To me it is amazing that they seem to have some connection with Steve but obviously didn't understand him one bit. If they did they would know that hurting any animal like this would be the last thing he would want. Sad really that his lifes work trying to teach people about animals and it seems that for these it was wasted.
agreed.... to the people doing that anyway, they haven't a clue.


Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
ysosRRs
 
Posts: 327
Join Date: May 31, 2005
Location: Tysons Corner, VA
September 12, 2006, 01:44 PM

Irwin would've hated this....f-ing idiots


Madison Motorsports

V. Rossi - "I love Nascar because it's not a real trak -- it's oval."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
September 12, 2006, 02:06 PM

People have to take out thier frustrations somewhere... the stingray killings WILL stop, and people will forget about Steve Irwin.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
I'm an Asshole
 
griffindj's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,430
Join Date: January 17, 2006
Location: C-ville, VA
September 12, 2006, 02:09 PM

Save the whales!


If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
DAS BOOT
 
LadyK's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,986
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Location: Hell, need some suntan lotion?
September 12, 2006, 02:09 PM

So take it out on animals that have nothing to do with anything other than living in their own habitat?


Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
September 12, 2006, 02:12 PM

it's cooler to shoot them anyway, cutting off thier tales lacks style.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!
 
n2sport's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,000
Join Date: June 27, 2006
Location: Fredneck MD
September 12, 2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
People have to take out thier frustrations somewhere... the stingray killings WILL stop, and people will forget about Steve Irwin.
The people he directly affected will never forget Steve and the other men/women in that country that do the work he did.
Many many people owe their lives to the work those people do.
He moved the crocodiles for a reason, not just to entertain.
He caught and relocated many venimous snakes to protect villages.


To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
Ling Long
 
YaoMatt's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,183
Join Date: June 13, 2006
September 12, 2006, 02:24 PM



U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
September 12, 2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport
The people he directly affected will never forget Steve and the other men/women in that country that do the work he did.
Many many people owe their lives to the work those people do.
He moved the crocodiles for a reason, not just to entertain.
He caught and relocated many venimous snakes to protect villages.
Lot's of people do that and more. They just don't have TV shows. Everyone is forgotten.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
Nubbs ban yourself!
 
n2sport's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,000
Join Date: June 27, 2006
Location: Fredneck MD
September 12, 2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Lot's of people do that and more. They just don't have TV shows. Everyone is forgotten.
You did see that I mentioned those other people. I realize Steve was only one of many that do that work. It is however important work to the people who live there. He himself had been doing it long before that TV show.


To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
I'm so tired
 
GhostRydr's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,694
Join Date: May 3, 2005
Location: Ashburn
September 12, 2006, 02:31 PM

People die and someone always remembers those that pass away. I have seen it here on this board. No one forgets. Only those that dont care forget.

Steve Irwin will never be forgotten by those that thought he was doing something good and cared about him. Like his family and friends. For everyone else...maybe someday, you will just up and be forgotten.


Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.