DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 453
2 members and 451 guests
HotRod1200, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
What's today? aah fuck it

September 16, 2004, 12:43 PM

Actually - Monday, September 13, 2004

-------

In 1994, President Clinton signed into law the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which outlawed 19 types of military-style weapons like AK-47s, Uzi’s and Tec-9s. The Ban was to expire after 10 years if Congress did not reauthorize it.

That day of expiration is today.

Congress did not reauthorize.

And, now, weapons previously banned can flood the gun market freely and enter our streets, exacerbating the already catastrophic culture of gun violence in this country.

According to the most recent statistics from the Center for Disease Control, eight young people under the age of 19 are shot and killed each day and 20,000 people each year. Opening up channels for bigger and more dangerous weaponry does not seem to us like a solution to this growing problem.

Police officers have joined anti-gun advocates in calling for reauthorization, citing the detrimental effect the lapse will have on their efforts to combat crime and even terrorism. Other gun advocates use the Washington, DC area “Sniper Shootings” as prime examples of the dangers posed by the weapons now allowable by law (or lack of law, as it is).

President Bush has said, if the renewal passed Congress he would sign it; but he hasn’t really asked Congress to pass it, which has John Kerry up in arms. Democrats and Republicans in Congress are both said to be dormant on the issue in an effort to woo gun owners in swing states. It’s unfortunate because gun violence, especially among America’s youth, goes well beyond electoral politics. It is a matter of health and public safety.

Gun violence has a disproportionate effect on young people’s lives, and it is vital for you to find out exactly how both candidates for President and your candidates for the House and Senate feel about the Ban, its possible reauthorization, and about gun rights in general.

----------
Source: http://blog.rockthevote.com/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

September 16, 2004, 12:51 PM

Fo shizzle. Time to bust out my super soaker!!! And no, thats not actually me.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I walked in on Steve while he was in the bathroom once, it was glorious...
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
2002 Sportster 883 (for her)
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 (second one) - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#3)
DT
Yesssssss.....

September 16, 2004, 12:54 PM

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#4)
Happiness Consultant

September 16, 2004, 01:01 PM

on this topic, I do like to go to the shooting range and bust a few caps in the paper dude. Gatting a paper target is mo fun.

however I cannot remember a single time I've had a need to pull a gun on someone and bust a cap in him/her. which is why I don't own a gun. These days if someone was to physically threaten me, I'd just throw Boom at them.

so my question to all you gun lovers, have any of you had to 'pull your weapon' (common cliche)? Those of you who had to do it in war/battle times... don't count...I'm talking everyday...minding your business then all of a sudden I gotta pull my weapon scenario.

On a related note, I have had to a pull a knife. But never a gun.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#5)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

September 16, 2004, 01:11 PM

Ed, guns have their place. I personally would follow the military's guidlines on the use of deadly force: "Use of deadly force is authorized when you face a leathal threat or those under your protection face a leathal threat." Of course it goes on to talk about protecting goverment property and all, but that doesn't apply.

I personally haven't had to pull a gun. I have however had a gun pulled on me. In fact, I was the sober bouncer at my house party last March for a Mardi Gras party. We had over 80 people there and some invited their azz hole friends from the bad part of hoodbridge. One pulled a gun on me when I wouldn't let him in the house and some clown behind me was mouthin off. I didn't have a gun on me at the time, nor did I want one. I talked the dood down and they saw things from my point of view. The retard and his gun left quietly once I got their "wemon" to leave with them.

Guns aren't the first option, they're the very last.

-Steve

Quote:
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#6)
DT
Yesssssss.....

September 16, 2004, 02:20 PM

Guns don't kill people.

The idiots who think they are "hardcore gangsta pimps" driving the bmw's that daddy bought them do kill people.

Unfortunately, most of them have guns. about 99% of them DO NOT know how to use them. They think that showing up at the range and blasting holes in a paper target wearing a wife-beater makes them lethal.

(gets off of very small soapbox)

Don't carry a gun, probably never will - had one pulled on me once and that little "gangster" and his brother (courtesy of me and my brother) were sent to the hospital for 2 months.

04 600RR - SOLD

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#7)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

September 16, 2004, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Guns don't kill people.
A comedian once said, "If you can blame the gun for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."

-Steve

Quote:
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

September 16, 2004, 02:30 PM

Ed, the law is very strict when it comes to pulling your gun on someone. Like Steve said, your life has to be threatened. There are laws about how far away a person with a gun or knife or whatever weapon you can think of can be from where you are standing. When your at the range shooting in an enclosed environment with most of the time, people who know guns and their safety you are able to stand in one location and know exactly when you want to squeeze the trigger and have a fixed target. I personally only want to continue to shoot in ranges. I don't want the responsibility of carrying a gun on me, and have something go wrong. There are too many "what ifs " that could go wrong when carrying a gun and when you are confronted by someone with a weapon. Just think of how many people who own guns and visit the range often. It's probably a very small percentage. The only way to get good at shooting is to practice.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

September 16, 2004, 03:21 PM

The ban was dumb and never stopped anything.

Cops won't have to work any harder. The shit is already out there.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

September 16, 2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYUIZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Guns don't kill people.
A comedian once said, "If you can blame the gun for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
Well said

Douglas
R.I.P.-1995 F3
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FlyinBy  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

September 16, 2004, 06:30 PM

all ready got dibs on a M4 and also possibly a AUG
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

September 17, 2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYUIZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Guns don't kill people.
The difference is that guns are designed to kill people; pencils aren't designed to misspell words.

<font color="red">Honda CBR600F4</font>

"People demand freedom of speech
as a compensation for the freedom
of thought, which they seldom use."
Unread
  (#13)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
September 17, 2004, 06:23 PM

Guns kill people like spoons made ROSANNE ARNOLD fat! Both have their missions in life and only those properly trained should use them.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#14)
DT
Yesssssss.....

September 17, 2004, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA
Guns kill people like spoons made ROSANNE ARNOLD fat! Both have their missions in life and only those properly trained should use them.
I am trained to use a few quite well - however there are those trained as well if not better and STILL don't need to own one in my opinion.

Point remains - criminals and those intending to use them are going to carry and use regardless of the law. They already do. Let's look at statistics - D.C. (NO WEAPONS AT ALL) has one of the highest robbery rates, shootings, and killings in the U.S. Funny... Texas has one of the lowest...

I condone people who want to learn how to use (safely) and own a weapon. However Brooks said it very well too - the amount of responsibility in carrying a gun is too great nowadays. Even though I am qualified to carry a concealed weapon, I probably never will - just for the fact that EVERY mothereffer out there is willing to sue and sue you for everything you have. Also - if someone is robbing you or attempting to "show down" a gun on my person only escalates the scenario. If I draw a weapon, it is to use it, use it efficiently, and ensure that the person at the other is no longer a threat. However, if it means that I lose a wallet, a car... these things are insured and not worth the price of my life, someone else's or possible lifelong damages to both my pocket and my family.

I don't think that the lift on this ban will turn the U.S. into the Wild West... There's bad people and ignorant people ANYWHERE in the world that you go and they treat guns for what they are - tools. Why not ensure that you are at least prepared for a situation??

My 0.03 cents.

04 600RR - SOLD

Unread
  (#15)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
September 17, 2004, 07:30 PM

Dyum DT thats some rightuos language ther buddy. And I agree 100%.
Did you know that every eligable male between 18 ( and I think 22) in Sweden are required by national LAW to cary their sidearm at all times. Very litle violent crime occurs there. Wonder why? Unfortunately they also have one of the highest suicide rates in the world for that age group.
By the way that age group is also conscripipted into their service reqiurements. The country has been in existance for over 1,000 years so it must be working out ok.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.