DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 593
4 members and 589 guests
CCS762ZX6, HenryW, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
'13 YZ250 vs '08 250XC HELP
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

'13 YZ250 vs '08 250XC HELP - December 1, 2016, 09:15 AM

I have two bikes I am looking and could use some more informed opinions on which stands out as the better option as Im new to dirt. Ill be riding mainly trails with some MX track thrown in.

2013 YZ250 - $3200
-35-ish hours on top end
-Excellent condition (almost looks brand new)
-Setup for woods
-Excel rims
-Bark busters
-Boysen clutch cover
-Factory Connection suspension setup for my weight
-FMF exhaust (full)
-Brand new tires

2008 KTM 250XC - $2800
-12 hours on top end by HDR
-Great condition (very clean)
-Excel rims
-Hand guards
-HDR suspension
-Magura hydraulic clutch
-FMF exhaust (full)
-Skid plate
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

December 1, 2016, 09:39 AM

I can't believe I am going to say this but go KTM is you are new and riding woods. The hit on the YZ is pretty hard and if you aren't ready for it can put you in a tree quickly. That said the YZ especially the 13 is the better bike of the two for the price. However again being a new rider you will enjoy the KTM more and it will be the better bike for you.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

December 1, 2016, 09:55 AM

Hmm, I'd go with the YZ and ride it a bit to see. If it has too much of a hit get a throttle tamer, retard the timing, and throw a flywheel weight on.
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

December 1, 2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Hmm, I'd go with the YZ and ride it a bit to see. If it has too much of a hit get a throttle tamer, retard the timing, and throw a flywheel weight on.
It does have a 13oz flywheel on it I believe.
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

December 1, 2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
I can't believe I am going to say this but go KTM is you are new and riding woods. The hit on the YZ is pretty hard and if you aren't ready for it can put you in a tree quickly. That said the YZ especially the 13 is the better bike of the two for the price. However again being a new rider you will enjoy the KTM more and it will be the better bike for you.
Should I be looking more 125 2T? Im getting alot of feedback saying 250 2T will be too much for first dirtbike. Too much hit and hard to modulate.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

December 1, 2016, 10:09 AM

I agree with Kirk.

I'm on an 01 YZ and love that bike. Assuming the suspension is valved and sprung for your weight you should be good. I threw a 13oz flywheel weight on my bike and it's awesome now. The brakes on my YZ were awful so I threw on a crf450 front brake and it's much more to my liking.

Edit- this was also my first dirtbike and it was a bit of a handful at first but not bad at all. I absolutely love the 2t and wouldn't change it. I ride a bunch of single track and jeep roads out here in CO. I added a lectron carb on mine because I was tired of messing with the jetting on rides that I go from 9k feet to 12000-13000.

Last edited by SSLow3; December 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

December 1, 2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
Should I be looking more 125 2T? Im getting alot of feedback saying 250 2T will be too much for first dirtbike. Too much hit and hard to modulate.

I have a stock KX125 for a beater/back up bike and have been abusing it lately while waiting on parts for my Husky.

It is hard to ride fast in the woods. You really have to be on your game while riding it which gets tiring after a while. It goes from blaaaaah to OMGIWANNAGOFAST in a millisecond which can catch you off guard, especially once you/your clutch hand starts getting tired.

It is crazy light weight, which also means it is very skittish. The heavier bikes can be a bear to pick up, but they feel so much more stable.

IMO: A 150 to 200cc 2stroke or a 250 4stroke is the right size. I love my current Husky in the woods (ya know, when it isn't broken) and had a lot of fun on the 250F version of it also.

-Joe

17 Beta 250RR/RE
09 Husky WR177

Last edited by Gots_a_sol; December 1, 2016 at 03:51 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Gots_a_sol  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

December 1, 2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
The problem is that it still hits hard. It's not about a touchy throttle, or even a flywheel weight. I had both on my 06 and it still hit hella hard. Not to mention the gearbox isn't really good for tight woods riding. The new 250x is light years ahead of the regular 250 for woods riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
A 250 2t has a lot of power but it is less of a light switch than a 125 is. The KTM is much better for woods since that is what it is designed for. Better gearbox, less hit, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLow3 View Post
I agree with Kirk.

I'm on an 01 YZ and love that bike. Assuming the suspension is valved and sprung for your weight you should be good. I threw a 13oz flywheel weight on my bike and it's awesome now. The brakes on my YZ were awful so I threw on a crf450 front brake and it's much more to my liking.

Edit- this was also my first dirtbike and it was a bit of a handful at first but not bad at all. I absolutely love the 2t and wouldn't change it. I ride a bunch of single track and jeep roads out here in CO. I added a lectron carb on mine because I was tired of messing with the jetting on rides that I go from 9k feet to 12000-13000.
There is a big big difference from 01 to 06 motor in terms of power and such.

My opinion would be to find a good 250f woods bike and start on that. Plenty of power but alot more linear. The wr250f is a bike that is awesome for woods riding with its wide ratio gearbox, electric start and they run forever as long as you keep the air filter clean and change the oil. Not to mention the 07 and newer all have the kyb sss suspension which is still to this day the best stock suspension ever made.
Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

December 1, 2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
My opinion would be to find a good 250f woods bike and start on that. Plenty of power but alot more linear. The wr250f is a bike that is awesome for woods riding with its wide ratio gearbox, electric start and they run forever as long as you keep the air filter clean and change the oil. Not to mention the 07 and newer all have the kyb sss suspension which is still to this day the best stock suspension ever made.
My only concern with the 250f is that engine rebuilds will be ALOT more expensive. Outside of that Im fine with a four stroke even though I LOVE the sound and fun factor of a 2T. But I might just wait until Im a bit more dirt savvy before I dip my toe into mixing gas and spanking ass. The 250f seems like the most popular option for a dirt rookie.

Any particular make/model/year suggestions for a 250f?

Last edited by !ThatGuy!; December 1, 2016 at 05:57 PM..