DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
5 members and 557 guests
davidcycle, fxc3700, Scot, Slider, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
1986 Toyota 4Runner Shifting Issues, Advice?!?!
Unread
  (#1)
GET SOME ! ! !

Arrow 1986 Toyota 4Runner Shifting Issues, Advice?!?! - September 6, 2009, 11:22 AM

So over the past 6 months or so I've been having a few issues with my truck. It started when I would be driving, then come to a complete stop, when I would attempt to start driving forward again my truck will have stayed in a higher gear, in other words its like I was starting out in 3rd or 4th gear?!?!

So to start moving again I could either wait and slowly begin moving again, or put it in Low and it would kick in a little faster. So anyways that's a little history on the beginning of the problem...

So I loaded up my RM-250 on the trailer, hooked up to the 4Runner and I started going up the hill, the problem came up when the truck won't shift into a higher gear, it will stay in 1st, and once warmed up it would shift into a higher gear, maybe 2nd, and occasionally 3rd, but it won't shift into 2nd until about 40 mph (I was lucky if it shifted at all)

So I'm about to buy a used engine, along with a manual transmission, the truck is currently an automatic, so what do you think the problem is, the gears, the syncro?!?!? I have no idea what the problem might be, it seems the transmission gears are fine, its just not shifting, can anyone help

even if it is a simple problem, I still think it would be cool to put in a manual transmission, how hard would that be, thanks for any and all advice

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

September 6, 2009, 12:13 PM

I had an 86 (22RE engine) with the manual, it should be a worth-while swap if you think it's worth it.

Have you had the trans fluid replaced anytime recently? Torque converter or valve bodies inspected?

-Ryan
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

September 6, 2009, 12:33 PM

def try changing the fluid before doing anything drastic... went wheelin in my jeep a cpl weekends ago and had the same scenario... although mine was from water in the fluid thinning it out... once i changed the fluid 2 times all was well... i had same problem as you, didnt want to upshift... fluid was real thin and couldnt build up enough pressure to upshift... once new thick fluid was in it worked like a charm...

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#4)
Noob-alishish

September 6, 2009, 01:12 PM

Hold up you don't wana change the fluid if its never been changed before..

Atleast when I worked at a shop that was a big no no...

My 98 Jeep did this once but it was the TPS )throttle position sensor( not sure if your model has that (dont think it does)

If no one has any ideas Ill call my friend he is ASE certified so maybe he can get us pointed in the right direction!

Remember to Breathe.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Got Any Gwapes?

September 6, 2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post

My 98 Jeep did this once but it was the TPS )throttle position sensor( not sure if your model has that (dont think it does)

If no one has any ideas Ill call my friend he is ASE certified so maybe he can get us pointed in the right direction!
You don't want to do an old school pan drop and just change the basic 5-6 qts. Doing a flush 1:1 and changing all of the fluid isn't an issue.

* the caveat being that the trans wasn't having issues prior. If it is having problems, flushing can revive it or blow it up.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#6)
GET SOME ! ! !

September 6, 2009, 03:28 PM

I've changed the Trans fluid before, probably about 25-30k miles ago though and everything was fine, then the problem started arising a few months ago, and now has rendered the truck useless

so to change the tranny fluid or not to change it?!?!

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#7)
GET SOME ! ! !

September 6, 2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929 View Post
You don't want to do an old school pan drop and just change the basic 5-6 qts. Doing a flush 1:1 and changing all of the fluid isn't an issue.

* the caveat being that the trans wasn't having issues prior. If it is having problems, flushing can revive it or blow it up.
so flushing can either be good or bad for the trans, how can i figure out if I should, or shouldn't do this?

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#8)
GET SOME ! ! !

September 6, 2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:

if your friend has experience along these lines of a transmission having this problem that would be great if you could ask him if there are any areas I should check, look over, tune, etc

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

September 6, 2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:

yes flushing is hands down better... if it wasnt sunday afternoon and i had access to the flush machine at work (i work at toyota in svc) i would have flushed it but i drained and filled it twice and all was fine... he can also disconnect the one side of the cooler and keep filling untill the fluid starts to look as it should etc... if you have no access to a flush machine.. im not sure if yours has a cooler or not but if so thats also an option.. but i would say if you flush it you should be fine most of the time...

if it is equipped with a cooler i have also seen them bust and then antifreeze and trans fluid mix inside both the radiator and trans causing trans not to work properly and the veh to overheat... check your radiator for signs of trans fluid..... would look like a milkshake on the trans dipstick and kind of milky in the radiator

Last edited by FUNx1000; September 6, 2009 at 03:41 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

September 6, 2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
so flushing can either be good or bad for the trans, how can i figure out if I should, or shouldn't do this?
smell the fluid.. if it smells horribly burnt its prolly to late, however if its not a pungent smell and just discolored you should be ok... the other benefit to dropping the pan is to see if there is any metal or clutch fibers material in the bottom of the pan... if there is an excess amount something has given up the ghost prolly...

Last edited by FUNx1000; September 6, 2009 at 03:42 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
GDMFSOB

September 6, 2009, 04:01 PM

I'm a Jeep guy, but....
Yoders have excellent gearboxes. The auto you have actually is in the Cherokee's until '91 (I think). You would be fine dropping the pan after your said mileage. It does not sound like synchros. Sounds like a hydrolic pressure problem. The fluid change is a cheap and easy first step. +1 on FUNx, what lurks in the bottom of the pan can tell you a lot.
Oh, and do some research. If it does come down to a new tranny, you MAY be able to swap the manual in w/o a motor swap. Advance adapters and Novac make bellhousings galore.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#12)
Noob-alishish

September 6, 2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:

So your pretty much saying he has a 50.50 chance? or am I misunderstanding..

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#13)
Noob-alishish

September 6, 2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
if your friend has experience along these lines of a transmission having this problem that would be great if you could ask him if there are any areas I should check, look over, tune, etc

sent him a text waiting his response..

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#14)
Got Any Gwapes?

September 6, 2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
So your pretty much saying he has a 50.50 chance? or am I misunderstanding..
I believe you should NEVER do a pan drop. It's hard on the transmission, unless you do it every 10k miles. A trans should be flushed properly every 30k miles as a maintenance service.

If the trans is already failing, sometimes flushing it can bring it back. If it doesn't, it was doomed to fail anyhow. We are talking about a 23 year old vehicle.

95% of all transmission failures start with fluid failure according to Ford's own statistics.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#15)
Noob-alishish

September 6, 2009, 04:25 PM

Ok yeah I follow you now. I was kinda lost, thought you were saying something else haha.

yeah I guess if its already pretty much failing then their is no harm in trying a flush.

Remember to Breathe.