DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 574
6 members and 568 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Diggy, GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
2001 Mercedes-Benz E320? .. any MB mechanic in the house?
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

2001 Mercedes-Benz E320? .. any MB mechanic in the house? - May 3, 2013, 12:11 PM

I found an 01 E320 that I want to buy. It's got about 125k miles; I guess not bad for 2001? The guy says it's in great shape and the photos do show the car is clean for its age. He also has service records, and most were done by local MB dealer. What kind of stuff should I look for, or pay attention to, when I go see the car?

He had already replaced the catalytic converters. AC may need to be recharged soon as it's probably low on freon. He said it's not as cold. Not sure what other "expensive" items would need replacement soon for that mileage.

Thanks,
J
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

May 3, 2013, 12:28 PM

The Bubbled Eyed E's were known to have a lot of electrical issues as they aged out of warranty. Check it out thoroughly and check the service records for electrical service corrections.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

May 3, 2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
The Bubbled Eyed E's were known to have a lot of electrical issues as they aged out of warranty. Check it out thoroughly and check the service records for electrical service corrections.

This is inaccurate. The w211 E class commonly suffers from electrical gremlins, not the w210. And certainly not the updated w210 (year 2000-02)

These cars are fairly bullet proof if maintained well. Check out Benzworld for more information.

(Relatively) Common Issues for the W210 - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

If you're mechanically inclined, these cars are fairly DIY accessible.
Check out the sticky threads at the top.
W210 E-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Biggest concern would be the transmission. MB originally said "sealed for life" however after several years a some burnt up transmissions, they changed their tune. Make sure it has had some level of transmission service.

100K is a big service on these cars.
MAF, plugs, wires, O2 sensors (4 of them), water pump, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, various fluids.

There is a whole AC diagnostic system you can get into through the AC controls in the car. Hit and hold the REST button until it pops up and use the auto buttons to scroll through them. It will even tell you what bar pressure your AC is operating at...pretty cool feature.
W210 Air Conditioning Diagnosis | EClassBenz.com

Most certainly stay away from URO parts. These are china made parts and are complete crap on MB cars.

If you have more specific questions, fire away. I have an 01 E55 and have done most everything maintenance wise on it at this point.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

May 3, 2013, 02:49 PM

^^^Oops. I was in complete speed read mode. Forgot, although still bubble eyed, there was a major architecture changeover in 02. That's when the E-Class became a nightmare.

2001 should be relatively stout. If the price is right, go for it.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to