DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 561
2 members and 559 guests
Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 5, 2005, 02:32 AM

Quote:
NEW YORK, March 23, 2005 -- For the past six months, Christopher Ihara says his rumor mill has been going "full tilt."

As the manager of Corral.net, one of the largest Mustang enthusiast sites on the web, Ihara has presided over message boards that have been abuzz about the next-generation high-performance Ford Mustang.

"There are a lot of people chomping at the bit," Ihara said.

Ihara isn't the only one being squeezed for information. Grant Guzowski, sales representative at Capistrano Ford in San Diego, said he has fielded questions from hundreds of customers.

"I've had people ask about what SVT is doing," said Guzowski. "We have a lot of enthusiasts for Cobra, Focus and Lightning. They all want to see more SVT."

The time has come for Ihara and Guzowski to address their enthusiast customers.

Making its debut at the 2005 New York International Auto Show, the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 is the most powerful Mustang ever from the factory. A production version of the GT500 will go on sale in 2006. It will be followed by a steady stream of performance products developed by SVT, including the Sport Trac Adrenalin, the industry's first high-performance sport-utility truck, in 2007.

The number Ihara and Guzowski will most likely recite when describing the Shelby Cobra GT500 is 450, as in 450 horsepower and 450 pounds-feet of torque generated from a supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 engine. The 5.4-liter engine was first put into service in the limited-edition 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, a car that Car and Driver magazine ran from 0 to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and from 0 to 100 in 11 seconds -- without a supercharger.

"The Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 is going to be the most capable, most powerful Mustang that Ford or SVT or Carroll Shelby has ever introduced," said Hau Thai-Tang, Director of Advanced Product Creation and SVT. "The car really builds on the race-proven Mustang platform. Many people may not know that we are racing the Mustang today in the Grand Am Cup series and it's doing very well. It won its first time out beating the best that Europe and Japan had to offer. And now we're taking that platform and building on it."

The cast-iron block, four-valve 5.4-liter V8 engine is force-fed a mixture of air and fuel via a supercharger at 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost. According to SVT, Ford GT-derived aluminum cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings bring a high-level of proven durability to the drivetrain, and upgraded cooling components promise longevity. To make a visual statement, "Powered by SVT" is cast into both side camshaft covers. The engine is mated to a T-56 six-speed manual transmission.

To help bring the GT500 to a stop, SVT fit 14-inch cross-drilled Brembo rotors up front and 13-inch discs in the rear. The show car shown in New York has 19-inch wheels, and SVT engineers also retuned and upgraded the shocks, spring rates and upgraded stabilizer bars to increase the Mustang's handling ability.

To visually distinguish the Shelby Cobra GT500 from a standard Mustang, Le Mans-style white stripes run from nose to tail. GT500 nomenclature is prominent in the lower bodyside racing stripe. There's also unique front and rear fascias, a functional heat-extracting hood and Shelby and SVT badging.

Inside, the interior gets black leather on top of the dash, door panels, center arm rest, shift lever, shift boot and parking-brake handle. There are SVT Red leather seating surfaces and door panel inserts with Ebony black leather bolsters and trim.

"The new Mustang has classic design cues from some of the best-looking Mustangs of all-time, including the Shelbys," said Keith Rogman, Mustang senior designer. "The design of the GT500 has been at the forefront of our minds since the outset of the entire Mustang program."

During some pre-production work on the car in Dearborn, Carroll Shelby -- the legendary race car driver who first put his name on a Mustang in 1964 when Ford asked him to inject some high performance into the new Mustang -- spent time driving and testing a GT500 prototype. Afterwards, he had good things to say.

"I knew the car looked good. I knew it should be an excellent car," said Shelby. "But when I got into it and drove it, I said the same thing that everyone is going to say when they drive it, and that's 'wow.' The car feels like it has a lot more horsepower than it has. But not only that, it gets the power down the ground. It's everything I've dreamed of. I can't tell you how proud I am to be a part of SVT and this car."
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=20294

They unfortunately make no mention of the rear drivetrain (live axle v. IRS). I think all the current mustangs have live axle, but I was hoping that they would make the IRS switch for this Cobra like they did with my 2001.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#2)
question authority

April 5, 2005, 05:00 AM

will you buy me one? I was waiting for Ford to give some more character to the new style. Was a toss up between the 05 stang & the 04 suzuki, guess who won..lol

GSX-R 1000 K4 Blue
& a mean pony
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/Ima...rno-soreli.jpg
"What are men? Mortal Gods
What are gods? Immortal Men"-Heraclitus 535BCE-475BCE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to flippinrocks  
Unread
  (#3)
Super Moderator

April 5, 2005, 08:10 AM

Ohhhhh good lord...I am in love. That is one bea-u-tiful car.

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

April 5, 2005, 10:18 AM

Good thing I've already got mine ordered.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

April 5, 2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Good thing I've already got mine ordered.

Really?

Holy bajeebus!!!

ok so i drove the M3 the other weekend and that thing is sick too!!

Decisions Decisions!! They got a price on this yet?

The M3 is 60K...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

April 5, 2005, 12:59 PM

My understanding was that the price would start in the high 30's
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Bmiester  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

April 5, 2005, 01:33 PM

no way!! wasnt the last cobra in the 40's?

mucho price difference!!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 5, 2005, 02:35 PM

Carroll and Ford have said that their goal was to keep it under $40k. Motor Trend suggested $40-45k. I wouldn't expect MSRP to be much more than $40k. But expect unscrupulous dealers to mark them up at least $5k. I know a few that did that for my 01.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

April 10, 2005, 04:55 PM

DAMN !!!!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R.I.P. Vega
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
April 10, 2005, 07:41 PM

I cant believe Im gonna say this I want one

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to