DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
5 members and 522 guests
knonfs, Scot, Slider, tonetone, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Addicted to Cajen food...

300 - November 6, 2006, 10:26 AM

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the battle of Thermopylae...it's that story of 300 spartans holding back like 2 million persians..anyway, they made a movie, it's coming out soon...this video is so badass...

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nothing here

November 6, 2006, 10:27 AM

**SIGH**

Next..........
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
What's today? aah fuck it

November 6, 2006, 10:43 AM

Sick ass new movie: 300

OK, all you repost whores ready?

Here we go ...

Last edited by ---> Venom <---; November 6, 2006 at 10:45 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
What's today? aah fuck it

November 6, 2006, 10:45 AM

Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

November 6, 2006, 12:57 PM

It's actually a great story....

Wonder if this is the movie based on the book "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield.

Really a good read!

and not to spoil the movie...they didn't really hold em back, they kinda slowed em up, but in a 10,000 vs 1,000,000 fight, it was an awesome task to do what they did. The Spartans were some bad mofos. It's proabably why we still have teams with them as their mascot some 2500 years later.

Last edited by Busamac70; November 6, 2006 at 01:02 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to Busamac70  
Unread
  (#6)
TIMMEH!

November 6, 2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busamac70

Wonder if this is the movie based on the book "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield.

Really a good read!

and not to spoil the movie...they didn't really hold em back, they kinda slowed em up, but in a 10,000 vs 1,000,000 fight, it was an awesome task to do what they did. The Spartans were some bad mofos. It's proabably why we still have teams with them as their mascot some 2500 years later.
I'm pretty sure this movie is based on the graphic novel "300" by Frank Miller.

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#7)
Ling Long

November 6, 2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Really a good read!

It's based on the graphic novel 300 by Frank Miller.

It was 300 vs up to 5,000,000... though the common historical account puts it in the 2.5M people range.

They DID infact stop them at Thermopylae. Xerxes lost so many troops that he turned his forces back and entered Greece elsewhere.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#8)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

November 6, 2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat

Sick ass new movie: 300

OK, all you repost whores ready?

Here we go ...

yeah what he said

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#9)
BOHICA

November 6, 2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Really a good read!

Great freakin' book. I need to find more of his stuff.

And I'm going to look for this 300 book as well. Though I doubt the movie will do the book any justice, as the phalanx of yesteryears were some bloody and disgusting things.

'05 SV
'05 SSR 125 SB-A
'98 Impreza RS

Member of the 72% Club
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to AJ711  
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

November 6, 2006, 02:50 PM

FYI.

"There are two schools of thought about the size of the Persian army. The critical school assumes that the figures given in ancient texts are exaggerations on the part of the victors, and a critical analysis of the resources available to the armies of the ancient era. According to this school of thought, the Persian force was between 60,000 and 120,000 combatants, plus a collection of non-combatants (especially large because of the presence of the Persian king and high-ranking nobility). More recent scholarship of this school generally accepts these numbers, agreeing that the Persian force had an upper limit of around 250,000 total land forces. The main reason most often given for these values is cited as a lack of water; Sir Frederick Maurice, aBritishgeneral in World War I, was among the first to claim that the army could not have surpassed 175,000 due to lack of water. This school of thought is predominant today among Western scholars of the Greco-Persian wars."

Additionally, there WERE 300 Spartans, but also around 700 thesbians stayed to fight as well. In total there were a little over 5000 estimated Greeks there innitially. The Persians payed a sheep herder to show them an alternate way around the pass. After learning of this Leonidas (the spartan leader) sent everyone but 300 men home, 700 Thesbians (not traditional soldiers) stayed to help defend with the brave spartans, death was pretty much certain.

Things to know:

The 2.5 Million number is estimated to include ALL support members and attending family (these wars lasted years and the wives would often accompany the men). Though an upper of 2.5 million is considered feasible.

Additionally there were 5000+ defending the pass, not 300.

Xerxes didn't find another way around them, he found a way to bypass and kill them (all 1000+ remaining greeks died, Leonidas' body was beheaded and cricified).

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; November 6, 2006 at 02:53 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

November 6, 2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
FYI.

"There are two schools of thought about the size of the Persian army. The critical school assumes that the figures given in ancient texts are exaggerations on the part of the victors, and a critical analysis of the resources available to the armies of the ancient era. According to this school of thought, the Persian force was between 60,000 and 120,000 combatants, plus a collection of non-combatants (especially large because of the presence of the Persian king and high-ranking nobility). More recent scholarship of this school generally accepts these numbers, agreeing that the Persian force had an upper limit of around 250,000 total land forces. The main reason most often given for these values is cited as a lack of water; Sir Frederick Maurice, aBritishgeneral in World War I, was among the first to claim that the army could not have surpassed 175,000 due to lack of water. This school of thought is predominant today among Western scholars of the Greco-Persian wars."

Additionally, there WERE 300 Spartans, but also around 700 thesbians stayed to fight as well. In total there were a little over 5000 estimated Greeks there innitially. The Persians payed a sheep herder to show them an alternate way around the pass. After learning of this Leonidas (the spartan leader) sent everyone but 300 men home, 700 Thesbians (not traditional soldiers) stayed to help defend with the brave spartans, death was pretty much certain.

Things to know:

The 2.5 Million number is estimated to include ALL support members and attending family (these wars lasted years and the wives would often accompany the men). Though an upper of 2.5 million is considered feasible.

Additionally there were 5000+ defending the pass, not 300.

Xerxes didn't find another way around them, he found a way to bypass and kill them (all 1000+ remaining greeks died, Leonidas' body was beheaded and cricified).
Yup! thanks for having my back, bro.

The 300 were simply the Spartan representation and when they knew that they were fucked they stayed and told the other greek fockers to head for the hills. I also thought that each Greek faction (Athens, Sparta, etc..) were represented in the original number and it totaled around 10 thousand.

The Spartans chose their 300 based on who had produced a son. Kind of the reverse of what has happened in recent wars. Those that have a family (with a male) were sent.

I didn't read "the 300", I'll have to check it out. The Gates of Fire is a Novel with some historical fact and is really good. Steven Pressfield is famous for that (and for The Legend of Bagger Vance). I heard they were making a movie adaption of his book, so I thought this might be the one.
Unread
  (#12)
Ling Long

November 6, 2006, 03:17 PM

That was prior to the actual battle in the pass of thermopylae.

According to historic beliefs, Lionidas and his force of 300 sent the rest of the forces away, electing to engage the Persians in the pass to allow them ample time to escape.

The original fighting force was reduced from 5000 to 300 Spartans. 700 Thesbians stayed in waiting, but fled when Xerxes found an alternate route and flanked Lionidas... given to him by a traitor.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

November 6, 2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
That was prior to the actual battle in the pass of thermopylae.

According to historic beliefs, Lionidas and his force of 300 sent the rest of the forces away, electing to engage the Persians in the pass to allow them ample time to escape.

The original fighting force was reduced from 5000 to 300 Spartans. 700 Thesbians stayed in waiting, but fled when Xerxes found an alternate route and flanked Lionidas... given to him by a traitor.
Was it a traitor or a captured Greek focker? My history teachings didn't say it was a sheep herder, although that does sound hawt.

I guess even if it was a captured soldier, if he gave up the info he would be considered a traitor, but that is how I remember the story as well.
Unread
  (#14)
Ling Long

November 6, 2006, 03:21 PM

The book I read said a traitor... but who the fuck knows what that means. In 300 it's a thesbian soldier who sneaks out at night, but it's all hearsay.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

November 6, 2006, 03:25 PM

Regardless....what a cool focking story. Can't wait for the movie.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be like "Alexander". I got all hyped up to see that shit too and what a let down.

"Troy" was kind of a little too shaved and oily Brad Pitt for me too, but I could at least stay awake for it.