DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 587
11 members and 576 guests
Dark, Heist, HockeyFan, legendindisguise, oneraptor, QasimZia, RileysDad, SHYUperman, SSLow3, tonetone, TonUp
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
4 the Boaters: Inboard OUtboard vs. Outboard Cabin Cruisers..
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

4 the Boaters: Inboard OUtboard vs. Outboard Cabin Cruisers.. - September 9, 2016, 07:59 PM

Odd question, but in the near future I am going to pick up a used cabin cruiser boat. I was looking at 21-25 ft Inboard Outboard, but after seeing some neighbors boat at my vacation crib they had out board boats that only needed less than 12 inches of water to float.

Im use to inboard outboard boats requiring 3ft of water. My water at the vacay gets super low.

So now im trying to find 21+ ft Cabin Cruisers with outboard motors....its kinda hard to find.

I also want outboard now....well maybe...because lower maintenace, cost and fuel injection....late 90s to early 2000s...

What do you guys know about this shit?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

September 9, 2016, 08:49 PM

Outboards are easier to a degree but to find them on a cabin cruiser would prove difficult.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Full spin ahead.

September 9, 2016, 09:33 PM

Echoing the above, I don't know of a boat that has any kind of cabin and drafts ~12". If that's your goal, I'd look into pontoon boats with outboards. They can go much shallower than your standard v-bottom. Else, some of those bass boat-style v-hulls with outboards can go pretty shallow.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#4)
Signed up for Track Days!

September 9, 2016, 11:25 PM

I work on boats/jetskis often. What ever you get spend the extra money on fuel injection. You will thank me. Carburetors can be nightmares out on the water. If the boat is used often and taken care of carbs can be great. but it is another maintenance item.

Any boat you get unless new proceed to change the water impeller asap unless the previous owner has documentation of it being replaced. Should do it every other season.

As far as depth a large pontoon is your best bet with 3~ ft water. a cruiser will require more water as the hulls are usually deep V's for stability. Also pontoons with outboards you can literally put the motor in trailer tilt and the pontoon can rest on the shore when water gets to shallow and have no real effect on the toons.

Where is the vacation spot? I keep my 26fter on trailer at lake anna.

2014 FZ-09
2006 ZX-6RR - Sold
2009 Ninja 250R - Sold
2003 VT750 ACE - Sold
1980 CB750 Rat Bike - Sold
1981 KZ1000 Sportbike - Destroyed by Truck
Unread
  (#5)
Real Men Pedal

September 10, 2016, 07:17 AM

I looked at this boat about a month ago. I think its a $20k boat tops and worth looking at. I ened up with a 29 ft Chaparral.

2006 25' Glastron GS259 cabin cruiser
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 10, 2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoogle View Post
I work on boats/jetskis often. What ever you get spend the extra money on fuel injection. You will thank me. Carburetors can be nightmares out on the water. If the boat is used often and taken care of carbs can be great. but it is another maintenance item.

Any boat you get unless new proceed to change the water impeller asap unless the previous owner has documentation of it being replaced. Should do it every other season.

As far as depth a large pontoon is your best bet with 3~ ft water. a cruiser will require more water as the hulls are usually deep V's for stability. Also pontoons with outboards you can literally put the motor in trailer tilt and the pontoon can rest on the shore when water gets to shallow and have no real effect on the toons.

Where is the vacation spot? I keep my 26fter on trailer at lake anna.

i got 4 jet skis that spend more time broke than running cuz of the carbs...so god knows I know about the stupid carbs. They have left me in the middle of the river yearly. That is why from this point forward....4 strokes and Fuel injection.

Place is Lancaster Va.

I kinda figured trying to find a outboard cabin cruiser would be hard....I thought it might be possible because I see all the boats like Trophy that make outboard fishing boats that have the mini small cabin inside of them.

Last edited by vonstallin; September 16, 2016 at 04:05 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 10, 2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
Echoing the above, I don't know of a boat that has any kind of cabin and drafts ~12". If that's your goal, I'd look into pontoon boats with outboards. They can go much shallower than your standard v-bottom. Else, some of those bass boat-style v-hulls with outboards can go pretty shallow.
Do you think it is possible to find one that drafts 2ft?
I have my dads 1977 21ft cabin cruiser that drafts 3ft. Its old school hand laid fiberglass and heavy as shit...about 4500 lbs.

It needs too much $$$$$ to restore. The engine still uses points vs. electronic ignition.

I was going to restore his boat, but it looks to be a huge amount of $$$$ for old tech. And new engine and outdrive will cost 5 figures easy.

The boat been sitting since 2003 and has not been started since about 2005 or 2008. It was well winterized tho.

Water leaked inside and caused some water damage to the wood.

Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 10, 2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
I looked at this boat about a month ago. I think its a $20k boat tops and worth looking at. I ened up with a 29 ft Chaparral.

2006 25' Glastron GS259 cabin cruiser

That boat is bad ass....

My dream boat was a Regal 1999/2000 LSC I thought I saw fuel injection on some of the engines..
Engine Type: Single Inboard/Outboard
Engine Make: Mercury Engine
Engine Model: 5.0l efi

Last edited by vonstallin; September 10, 2016 at 01:43 PM..
Unread
  (#9)

September 12, 2016, 10:14 PM

Step back for a second....clearly you have a spot you go to and know the pitfalls of jet skis.

I am still going through this and have spent a good bit of money that have yet to fit the bill for fun on the water fun for the whole family (ages 20-4).

Where are you going with the boat and what are you doing on it? Fresh water or salt?

We have house on a DE inlet that got crushed by sandy and now our dock has a foot at low tide.
We went to a 26ft pontoon and floating docks for 2 jet skis but the skis had to be rebuilt every year do to the brown water...
Unread
  (#10)
Full spin ahead.

September 13, 2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Do you think it is possible to find one that drafts 2ft?
I have my dads 1977 21ft cabin cruiser that drafts 3ft. Its old school hand laid fiberglass and heavy as shit...about 4500 lbs.

It needs too much $$$$$ to restore. The engine still uses points vs. electronic ignition.

I was going to restore his boat, but it looks to be a huge amount of $$$$ for old tech. And new engine and outdrive will cost 5 figures easy.

The boat been sitting since 2003 and has not been started since about 2005 or 2008. It was well winterized tho.

Water leaked inside and caused some water damage to the wood.
Just asked my friend who has a pontoon and he estimates that it draws around 2 ft. with the engine elevated (but not out of the water). He has a 22' with 150 hp Yamaha outboard. He said make sure you get a tri pontoon.. makes sense in terms of water displacement.

This is the manufacturer: Pontoon Boats by Bennington

They're one of the better pontoons out there. The other decision is whether to go with a 4-stroke outboard (like most out there today: Mercury, Yamaha), or one of the 2-stroke direct injection motors from Evinrude. I've heard good things about the latter, surprisingly. I guess they've made real strides in 2-stroke characteristics. Supposedly, they don't even burn oil. Just a single oil change at the start of the season like your typical 4-stroke.
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a llama again!

September 13, 2016, 08:50 AM

Get a pontoon boat. They are faster now and hella fun plus plenty of room.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

September 13, 2016, 03:23 PM

Von, just get a poon boat.
... wait what?

No seriously, although its been over a decade since I've been an Island'da, one thing I do remember is if you want shallow draft hull that can run in ~12 inches of water - look at the Boston Whaler.

Are they the sexiest skinned boats around, nope, but jesus were those things maneuverable and durable. I've seen them take on the brunt of Hurricane Gloria, Hugo, and all kinds of other Nor'Easter and come out of it just fine while other glassed boats were half snapped or punched open and full of water.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Full spin ahead.

September 14, 2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Von, just get a poon boat.
... wait what?

No seriously, although its been over a decade since I've been an Island'da, one thing I do remember is if you want shallow draft hull that can run in ~12 inches of water - look at the Boston Whaler.

Are they the sexiest skinned boats around, nope, but jesus were those things maneuverable and durable. I've seen them take on the brunt of Hurricane Gloria, Hugo, and all kinds of other Nor'Easter and come out of it just fine while other glassed boats were half snapped or punched open and full of water.
They're pricey, but they live up to the claims.

Unread
  (#14)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 16, 2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post
Step back for a second....clearly you have a spot you go to and know the pitfalls of jet skis.

I am still going through this and have spent a good bit of money that have yet to fit the bill for fun on the water fun for the whole family (ages 20-4).

Where are you going with the boat and what are you doing on it? Fresh water or salt?

We have house on a DE inlet that got crushed by sandy and now our dock has a foot at low tide.
We went to a 26ft pontoon and floating docks for 2 jet skis but the skis had to be rebuilt every year do to the brown water...

My dad suddenly passed Nov 2014, and left the vacation house to me (because he hates my sisters non working husband)... We built the entire house by hand over the span of 1981-1992 that is cutting trees all the way until the last nail for the deck. Location is Lancaster Va. On the Corrotoman river that merges into the Rappohanock River and that all dumps into the Chesapeake Bay va side....and aimed at the Atlantic.

The water level "The last 2.5 years" has been pretty high. But normally it goes down to mud level late in the season...and few inches....

One thing I am looking into is when I build my new Pier (once I find $7500 - $10,000 under the pillow) I am going to aim it towards the deeper end of the creek. I am at the very end of the creek.

I just contacted a Pier Builder to ask how much it cost to drive 2 pillions into the creek. I want to drive the two pillions at the edge of property line and then build a floating dock as a temp location to enter and exit the boat/ jet ski.
I would use a John boat to get to the floating dock and the old dock.
We use to drive my dads boat to the old pier, then he would anchor the back end and tie the front end to a single Pillon that use to set out in the middle of the creek. He had a inflatable raft he would catch back to the Pier or he would swim back once we got unloaded.
The area that I have also have a private marina that I pay dues into and have slips for rent. That would probably be my main area to keep it at...then on weekends when I come down id park it at my Pier.
that is my current plan.

Here are some areal shots...last house on the left. These are taken in late 2015 I think.

Floating platform idea...

This isnt my dads boat but exact same model and color...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38715_145489152136613_8279396_n.jpg (75.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 40800_145268322158696_6554817_n.jpg (86.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg betsyandrandycentury210.jpg (41.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 10710824_861101427242045_5987683604512517691_n.jpg (60.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg other_raft2_lg.jpg (27.0 KB, 59 views)

Unread
  (#15)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 16, 2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post

Oh yeah...the water is Salt water...
My plan is to travel to the numerous water restaurants, Island locations like Tangier Island, Bell Island in lancaster...and explore.

Most of my neighbors have boats and get together for night cruises to bars and restaurants. Jet skis are fun, but im always paranoid on them...because they have broken down so many times.

I wanted to keep the boat under 25ft...really a 21ft boat..and weight down since my truck max towing is 6500 lbs. I will get a new mid sized truck (more than likley Nissan Frontier when the new one come out) and they average 7700 lbs on new mid size trucks.

I just had my skis carbs rebuilt..that seem to be my biggest issue with them...but now two of them have warped impeller housing. cost to repair is about $500 each...but seeing that they are 95 and 97 jet skis...weighing the option on fixing them...I still want 4 skis. but if i replace the 95 and 97 I am gooing 4 stroke fuel injection kaw or yammy.

areal map

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Online-Va-house-areal-mock-up.jpg (194.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Online-areal-map.jpg (161.9 KB, 59 views)