DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 593
11 members and 582 guests
Dark, Heist, HockeyFan, legendindisguise, oneraptor, QasimZia, RileysDad, SHYUperman, SSLow3, tonetone, TonUp
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 16, 2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
Just asked my friend who has a pontoon and he estimates that it draws around 2 ft. with the engine elevated (but not out of the water). He has a 22' with 150 hp Yamaha outboard. He said make sure you get a tri pontoon.. makes sense in terms of water displacement.

This is the manufacturer: Pontoon Boats by Bennington

They're one of the better pontoons out there. The other decision is whether to go with a 4-stroke outboard (like most out there today: Mercury, Yamaha), or one of the 2-stroke direct injection motors from Evinrude. I've heard good things about the latter, surprisingly. I guess they've made real strides in 2-stroke characteristics. Supposedly, they don't even burn oil. Just a single oil change at the start of the season like your typical 4-stroke.
I did want an outboard for easy maintenance. since all 4 of my jet skis are 4 strokes...im scared lol
I did not know BRP owned Evenrude...
BRP = Sea Doo jet skis..

Outboard also easy to replace if it blows..

Evinrude Outboard Engines | Evinrude US

This video do have me sold on one...if i can find a cabin cuddy that allows out board engine.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|

Last edited by vonstallin; September 16, 2016 at 04:19 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#17)
Licensed Rider

September 16, 2016, 05:37 PM

You don't need to buy a cuddy cabin that has outboards for it to be done, you can easily glass in outdrive holes in the transom and add a bracket for outboards, I say easy because it is, but probably not cheap. There's a guy that I see at the tavern and fitzies that has a former inboard fishing boat with 3 outboards hanging on the back now.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#18)

September 17, 2016, 12:55 PM

We can go as shallow as 18 inches on our pontoon to get out of the dock...real slow and someone is manning the trim of the prop.

I have never done it as we are in salt water and there are not many areas to beach it without about a million jelly fish or nasty reeds but fresh water pontoon boaters beach theirs pretty often. I am not sure how to do it but obviously you are dealing with inches of water and (I guess?) a good bit of pushing.

My experience with pontoon boats is they are pretty hard to mess up, but they do get kind of boring after a season or two and for us we cannot go off the river into the bay in any kind of wind/weather. I am not an experienced boater to know if other boats handle 1.5 - 2 foot waves better or if it is the size (length)/hull (I hear you need a V to go into the ocean) that matters but people start turning green in the bay if it is not a calm day. I am too much of a wuss to ever have been out in anything larger than 2 feet on a pontoon boat.
Unread
  (#19)
Your Ad Here

September 17, 2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post
too much of a wuss to ever have been out in anything larger than 2 feet on a pontoon boat.

Pontoons don't have the hull stability to handle cross waves and anything more than the lightest of light chop.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#20)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 18, 2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
We can go as shallow as 18 inches on our pontoon to get out of the dock...real slow and someone is manning the trim of the prop.

I have never done it as we are in salt water and there are not many areas to beach it without about a million jelly fish or nasty reeds but fresh water pontoon boaters beach theirs pretty often. I am not sure how to do it but obviously you are dealing with inches of water and (I guess?) a good bit of pushing.

My experience with pontoon boats is they are pretty hard to mess up, but they do get kind of boring after a season or two and for us we cannot go off the river into the bay in any kind of wind/weather. I am not an experienced boater to know if other boats handle 1.5 - 2 foot waves better or if it is the size (length)/hull (I hear you need a V to go into the ocean) that matters but people start turning green in the bay if it is not a calm day. I am too much of a wuss to ever have been out in anything larger than 2 feet on a pontoon boat.

I made a water way map of the places I plan on going.
I've drove to some and all are water restaurants and marinas. There are close to 9 different ones on the Corrotoman River and the Rappahanock river.
My plans are exploring with a destination (food or island to visit) 90% and occasional fishing 10%.
So far I take my Jet Skis (sorry sumsofbitches) to the mouth of the Rapp and Corrotoman river and the water gets a little choppy there.
My other goal is to visit Tangier Island via water and if logistics say I can make it fuel wise I will one day make a day trip to Smith Island.

This is one reason I do not think a Pontoon will do what I need.

I plan on putting my dads boat in the shop to see just how bad thing might be. Before he passed we were suppose to change out the outdrive rubber seals and other outdrive related items (roughly $1000) He said that is all that is wrong. I placed another cover to help keep the interior from getting worst, but but I would have to do some work to get her good again...not major, but some work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water-map.jpg (117.2 KB, 80 views)

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#21)

September 19, 2016, 06:29 PM

Ok, you are in a very similar situation as we are. Our place is on pepper creek that feeds to indian river bay/rehoboth bay. We can make it to Dewey beach and back on a 30 gallon tank if weather is good and light load if we had to. Never done it b/c we always fill up to be safe.

That being said you are in a REAL bay and a pontoon wont work for you.

First, get the bathymetry for your dock/water access. In DE it is DENREC who will have it, I assume similar for you. we do not own our dock we lease it from the state for $1 a year but we have to maintain it and the state has all the imagery/plans. To extend our dock (we need 50ft to get to 4ft at low tide to a dredged channel) it is a process where you file plans and it is posted for like 20 business days for the public to complain about it.

Also, we did floating docks for the skis and got fined b/c DENREC said they could bottom out and sink in mud and become a hazard. We had to put in lifts.

I would first deal with your water access and using your slip, then worry about the boat. FWIW our first estimate on our dock extension was around 20k.

Last edited by ArlingtonRider; September 19, 2016 at 06:57 PM..
Unread
  (#22)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 20, 2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, you are in a very similar situation as we are. Our place is on pepper creek that feeds to indian river bay/rehoboth bay. We can make it to Dewey beach and back on a 30 gallon tank if weather is good and light load if we had to. Never done it b/c we always fill up to be safe.

First, get the bathymetry for your dock/water access. In DE it is DENREC who will have it, I assume similar for you. we do not own our dock we lease it from the state for $1 a year but we have to maintain it and the state has all the imagery/plans. To extend our dock (we need 50ft to get to 4ft at low tide to a dredged channel) it is a process where you file plans and it is posted for like 20 business days for the public to complain about it.

Also, we did floating docks for the skis and got fined b/c DENREC said they could bottom out and sink in mud and become a hazard. We had to put in lifts.

I would first deal with your water access and using your slip, then worry about the boat. FWIW our first estimate on our dock extension was around 20k.
Damn...you have a valid point about the floats and mud...So what they are saying is that the weight of it in low tide mud may keep it stuck and not float up?

In va. I own the pier and they have steaks in the water showing where the property ends out in the water. the land next to me is un-developed and ive been trying to buy it, but the new owner have plans now. But the Chesapeake bay act restricts so much..

When the house was built there were no Chesapeake bay acts.
The house is about 35 ft (but up a hill) from the shoreline...the original bay act said no houses 50ft and closer...so that later cut off some thing we were going to do to the house. in 2008 they make the it 100ft buffer. That severely eliminate house extensions and land scaping I wanted to do.

As far as the water goes...I am getting mixed messages as far as if I can dredge or not. Some of the problem will be that we cant dump the mud on sea grass and that is everywhere.

In the end I think I am going to just have to do a standard 21ft inboard outboard...
I also wonder if I can buy some of my neighbors water way and possibly build a shared floating or solid dock that is not connected but stand along in the creek.

Unread
  (#23)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 20, 2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:

So far I've gotten quotes of Roughly $7500 for a 75x6ft straight dock. plus $300 for old dock removal. When i added a 6x12 "T" on the end of the dock it added about $2200 to the price.

My neighbors just had there dock rebuilt and had some fancy angled work done and it ran them close to $10,000 also I think there new dock is 50ft x 6ft .

For now I can rent a slip at our private marina. Since so many homes are on the water there are always plenty of slips to rent for the year. Average cost is $125 or $150 a year.
I just emailed the county office asking about the Chesapeake bay act and how it applies to me and dredging.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dredge.jpg (76.6 KB, 56 views)

Unread
  (#24)

September 20, 2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
So far I've gotten quotes of Roughly $7500 for a 75x6ft straight dock. plus $300 for old dock removal. When i added a 6x12 "T" on the end of the dock it added about $2200 to the price.

My neighbors just had there dock rebuilt and had some fancy angled work done and it ran them close to $10,000 also I think there new dock is 50ft x 6ft .

For now I can rent a slip at our private marina. Since so many homes are on the water there are always plenty of slips to rent for the year. Average cost is $125 or $150 a year.
I just emailed the county office asking about the Chesapeake bay act and how it applies to me and dredging.

That is dirt cheap for a slip...in DE is like $1000-1200 a year. Some marinas do offer emergency dry dock for you for storms for an additional $200 or per storm.

For dredging, in DE they roll up with a barge and when they off load the sludge they are only allowed to take it 2 miles in any direction (all the water and crap getting the roads). Problem with dredging is that you may be one big storm (or not so big) that puts all the crap back in your slip.

You would still be advised to see if there is bathymetry data for your water. At bare minimum you can see trends over time and even if you dredged to 6ft at your dock who knows where you may hit 3ft getting out.
Sucks VA does not have the records, DE are nazi's about it and fly their waters like every 18 months. Look around on VA dept of nat resources for it, I found this site but you need to DL the data and view in G-Earth.
Estuarine Bathymetry Data - Chesapeake Bay, VA/MD (M130)

That is nice pricing for your dock. I think I am getting raped now...everything near bethany and rehoboth is over priced. I had my AC and furnace replaced this year and I swear it was 10% higher than DC prices.
Floating docs can beach themselves pretty easily and if/when that creekbed is exposed to air/sun it turns into concrete almost and I guess overcomes the lift of the dock. We had those pre-fabbed plastic polycarbon ones for the skis that have the wheels/grooves to roll on. At first we only had one per ski but then had to add another (plain kind) after my nephew almost decapitated himself with too much throttle onto the floating dock and into the real dock.
Unread
  (#25)
Your Ad Here

September 20, 2016, 06:01 PM

This is all you need Von.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#26)

September 20, 2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
The house is about 35 ft (but up a hill) from the shoreline...the original bay act said no houses 50ft and closer...so that later cut off some thing we were going to do to the house. in 2008 they make the it 100ft buffer. That severely eliminate house extensions and land scaping I wanted to do.

As far as the water goes...I am getting mixed messages as far as if I can dredge or not.
I also wonder if I can buy some of my neighbors water way and possibly build a shared floating or solid dock that is not connected but stand along in the creek.
Your house is crazy close to the water. That must be a real old property and check into what may apply to you for being grandfathered on some stuff. Maybe you are not historical registry level but 35ft is nothing. In DE that is not even big enough for a septic field!

You may have leverage with your neighboring property and the new owner. We have this rule in DE for no NEW dock construction for any private residence. Like none. They want to consolidate all boats into community marinas for environmental reasons. Thus, existing docks (we can still extend/modify) on private property are very attractive to new construction.

Maybe you cut a deal with your neighbor on the water access of your dock with an easement or something to build into his property (you probably would need to be able to then dock two boats - theirs and yours at the dock).

You can dredge, they know it has to happen - they will just make it painful. I have also heard of people boat dredging themselves and just destroying some POS boat to make a channel. Rumors also there was video out there of someone who turned a jetski into a giant pressure washer for dredging but I never could find it and I am sure anyone down stream beat the shit of them for using it.
Unread
  (#27)
Mojito Anyone?

September 21, 2016, 09:16 AM

damn when we fishin son

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#28)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 21, 2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That is dirt cheap for a slip...in DE is like $1000-1200 a year. Some marinas do offer emergency dry dock for you for storms for an additional $200 or per storm.

For dredging, in DE they roll up with a barge and when they off load the sludge they are only allowed to take it 2 miles in any direction (all the water and crap getting the roads). Problem with dredging is that you may be one big storm (or not so big) that puts all the crap back in your slip.

You would still be advised to see if there is bathymetry data for your water. At bare minimum you can see trends over time and even if you dredged to 6ft at your dock who knows where you may hit 3ft getting out.
Sucks VA does not have the records, DE are nazi's about it and fly their waters like every 18 months. Look around on VA dept of nat resources for it, I found this site but you need to DL the data and view in G-Earth.
Estuarine Bathymetry Data - Chesapeake Bay, VA/MD (M130)

That is nice pricing for your dock. I think I am getting raped now...everything near bethany and rehoboth is over priced. I had my AC and furnace replaced this year and I swear it was 10% higher than DC prices.
Floating docs can beach themselves pretty easily and if/when that creekbed is exposed to air/sun it turns into concrete almost and I guess overcomes the lift of the dock. We had those pre-fabbed plastic polycarbon ones for the skis that have the wheels/grooves to roll on. At first we only had one per ski but then had to add another (plain kind) after my nephew almost decapitated himself with too much throttle onto the floating dock and into the real dock.

Here's the thing...its really only my property at the end that have the ultra low water...from the next plot (undeveloped) and the house after (going right on the picture) the water is always decent.
My neighbors have a 25ft inboard out board Well Craft Fishing boat. His boat takes over 2ft of displacement and possibly 3ft.

The closer I can get my Pier to the neighbors land (near fallen tree) I can keep deeper water.

I plan on getting a basic HVAC system next season...average price is $5000.
This is suppose to be able to heat and cool a 1200 sqft house. My house is tiny...its only 900 sqft. Most if not all also have a Propane or Oil back up system for days below freezing. Id love to be able to use this place in winter. I think 45% of the houses in the community are vacation houses... and id guess the remainder are retired or locals.
Most of the vacation homers are younger, hipper and on FB. I found out most have the new style Wifi Thermostats they can control from home and can turn up the heat as they are driving down.

Not funny but I laughed at the throttle and decapitation lol.

Anyway, here is a dock (3rd Pier on the picture ...to the right) after a big hurricane storm. We do not get harsh waves or anything. We are way down the creek...like 2 miles or so..we only get the high tides from storms. Its like a snake entering our creek so always calm.

The Pier is under water, but it looks like a floating dock sitting solo in the creek...this was my Idea for a temporary solution after I get a few Pillons placed in the water.

This is a home made Floating dock my neighbors made out of the blue drums.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001001.jpg (79.4 KB, 44 views)

Unread
  (#29)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 21, 2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I remember this....
Im about to post this shit on my fb page lol

Unread
  (#30)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 21, 2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Your house is crazy close to the water. That must be a real old property and check into what may apply to you for being grandfathered on some stuff. Maybe you are not historical registry level but 35ft is nothing. In DE that is not even big enough for a septic field!

You may have leverage with your neighboring property and the new owner. We have this rule in DE for no NEW dock construction for any private residence. Like none. They want to consolidate all boats into community marinas for environmental reasons. Thus, existing docks (we can still extend/modify) on private property are very attractive to new construction.

Maybe you cut a deal with your neighbor on the water access of your dock with an easement or something to build into his property (you probably would need to be able to then dock two boats - theirs and yours at the dock).

You can dredge, they know it has to happen - they will just make it painful. I have also heard of people boat dredging themselves and just destroying some POS boat to make a channel. Rumors also there was video out there of someone who turned a jetski into a giant pressure washer for dredging but I never could find it and I am sure anyone down stream beat the shit of them for using it.

Almost all the houses down my creek are built right to the edge...the hills are easily 35ft to 60ft above the sea level so they are roughly 30-70ft back on average. Mass majority of the houses in the community were built in the 80s down to the 90s and a handfull built in the 2000s.

Here is the house from the water side..looking up. Im about to have most of that shit cleared out and Rip Rap installed first week in October. Ive been waiting since Jan 2015.

Water front is cheap and non waterfront land goes for pennys...I saw some undeveloped plots selling for $4500. You get all the community shit also..swim pool, private marina, club house...tennis, golf, basketball and more. HOA fee is $80 per year ....since 1996. Waterfront goes from $150k with house on it..usually shity condition to $270 average price...2nd house down from me in picture just sold for $225k.

Most days I have no problem getting a ski up to the Pier...they require 2ft of depth so you dont pull trash into the jet pump..

Funny you should mention dredging by boat...My parents told me about my former neighbor who had a 30ft boat and he would do the same thing to crate a channel to get his boat in.

THe nieghbor will be able to build a new dock as long as he do not disturb the marshland grass along his shore line...Not sure if he is allowed to build over it since it would cut out the sunlight. They are anal about the marshland grass shit. His problem is that to build a dock to the deep end..he will need to build to the far right in the picture and that is where the marsh grass is...If i was him...I would sneak out and pull that shit out....before putting in permits. A team of 8 people walk the land to vote if they will allow rip rap and pires.

Me and my Permits handler / Land surveyor had to do a grand production on the property. Pointing out why Life shores (some new bullshit) is not a viable option, and trees that are dead and blah blah.

Oh and here is a side shot of my dads boat I was debating on fixing...but since i knew it displaced 3ft of water....posted this thread looking for other options...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160909_140505-copy.jpg (144.7 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by vonstallin; September 23, 2016 at 09:25 AM..