DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 304
17 members and 287 guests
bds120, beatle, CCS762ZX6, cicirich, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, DocZ, Fitz, Gots_a_sol, Heist, oneraptor, Sal_the_man, Slider, SSLow3, Toecutter, tonetone, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#31)

September 22, 2016, 09:55 PM

Nice pics...and I can see your dock is very similar to mine with the dip and needing repair. I still cannot believe only $300 to remove it....to fix my dip is like $1400...fucking Delaware.

Glad you got a laugh out of the dry dock decapitation, it is pretty funny but in reality is was me just not thinking things through. I did not want to have two dock ladders and put the floating docks in a place where they could both use same ladder. Saved me $300, almost really injured a person (I still hear the noise and seeing the ski under the dock) and cost me more in the long run to fix mistake. Prior to having to remove the floating docks (and those fuckers were expensive, about 3k with the mounts then another 2k to fix them for 2 more for space/safety, only to be fined and have to remove them and sell them for 2k total) I was only thinking short term.

Ramping in skis when you have water in backyard pissed me off and I wanted to fix it. Silt in my slip pissed me off and so we got a shitty new boat.

In then end, what I have learned is that water always wins; but if you plan and think things through you can minimize your losses/investment and capitalize on what your are paying for...fun and time on the water.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#32)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 23, 2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post
Nice pics...and I can see your dock is very similar to mine with the dip and needing repair. I still cannot believe only $300 to remove it....to fix my dip is like $1400...fucking Delaware.

Glad you got a laugh out of the dry dock decapitation, it is pretty funny but in reality is was me just not thinking things through. I did not want to have two dock ladders and put the floating docks in a place where they could both use same ladder. Saved me $300, almost really injured a person (I still hear the noise and seeing the ski under the dock) and cost me more in the long run to fix mistake. Prior to having to remove the floating docks (and those fuckers were expensive, about 3k with the mounts then another 2k to fix them for 2 more for space/safety, only to be fined and have to remove them and sell them for 2k total) I was only thinking short term.

Ramping in skis when you have water in backyard pissed me off and I wanted to fix it. Silt in my slip pissed me off and so we got a shitty new boat.

In then end, what I have learned is that water always wins; but if you plan and think things through you can minimize your losses/investment and capitalize on what your are paying for...fun and time on the water.
the $300 is the cost to remove the whole old pier. A trash removal fee.
My dock is too old and shitty to repair. Most of the original pillons are rotted to 2 inches or so. and mostly sitting on the ground vs. pilled in. If i had a group of folks and some waders on a low tide I could lift it i guess and patch it up...but the pics below shows how at some point the original owner of the land raised the pier up.

Right now I just wish I could hit the lotto LOL.

I will probably have to live with the fact that the water will always be super low on low tide and if i want to park at my house ill have to keep track of low and high tide. or Get a boat that can park in the low tide , but cant explore where and how i want.

#1stworldproblems

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160909_140149-copy.jpg (139.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20160909_140154-copy.jpg (98.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20160909_140158-copy.jpg (125.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20160909_140428-copy.jpg (93.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20160909_140433-copy.jpg (69.5 KB, 64 views)

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#33)
Your Ad Here

September 23, 2016, 11:31 AM

Von, why not install an inexpensive manual lift. No need to run electric if you don't want. Or you can crank the thing with a 3/8 portable drill. There's usually a piece that slots into the chuck that engages the reduction system in the lift.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#34)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 23, 2016, 12:20 PM

Shiiiiid

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#35)
Your Ad Here

September 23, 2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Shiiiiid
No good? Too expensive?

Sell a kidney ... or a bike.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#36)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 23, 2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
No good? Too expensive?

Sell a kidney ... or a bike.
dont think it will work long term lol...

Unread
  (#37)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 24, 2016, 07:22 PM

I had thought about getting my dads boat re-did, so called a shop but first I figured i should pull the covers off of her and see what she looks like on the inside. (covered since 2005).

Video I shot of the boat...

http://youtu.be/EB3wKRVTex0

What I found out made my heart hurt. Shit was so rusted, molded, rotten. the cover had huge holes at the top so the boat was damp and seemed to stay damp all the time id guess. The way the wood rotted and some soft spots on part of the floor.

I cant begin to tell you all the things wrong cosmetically and functionally. All this before I have touched the engine.

I deemed the project a total fail. 1977 Century 21ft.
It might do someoen good if they want to spend the time redoing it, but for me not having the time...and less desire its just a wash.

Since then Ive seen some other I/O that are MPI and cheap ($5000-$9000)
So ill probably get something as new as my budget can handle down the line.
Or spend $15000 ish for something that have MPI and closed loop cooling system or partial closed loop.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14794102_1310776898941160_356190445_n.jpg (23.4 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by vonstallin; October 24, 2016 at 08:01 PM..
Unread
  (#38)
Your Ad Here

November 3, 2016, 11:16 AM

Von, now I have been into boating and watercraft in a bit since I left L.I., but from what I saw in your video it looked like a few weekend projects and not a total loss.

The hull looks good and overall a seaworthy vessel.

Naval Jelly for the rust, patch any cracks in the fiberglass plus a new gel coat, new carpet, shine up the chrome. Get the old vinyl seat pads replaced or recovered. The top can be recovered or replaced if you hunt around on forums.

The engine is probably salvageable and can be rebuilt, a new skeg and prop, marine batteries and she'll probably run.

Or you can bin it and upgrade to a used EFI with moderate hours on the clock. Either way you know how to wrench on motors. That's a given, and from what you explained you're only running this up and down the river for a few months out of the year and into the mouth of the Bay. Not like you need twin Mercuries. It's a pleasure craft. A few thousand nautical miles a season at most.

Unread
  (#39)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 3, 2016, 11:39 AM

The catch is...no matter what Ill spend north of $5k-$8k

Ive found boats with complete rebuilt and warrenty engines way better condition, newer (1998 to 2000) Fuel injections V6 putting out 190HP (my dads is a v8 putting out 190HP) and the boats are 2500lbs to 3000lbs while my dads boat is 3500 lbs.... along with having to redo my dads trailers lights and hydrolic brake lines. and most of the boats come with decent trailers.

Nostalgia would be the only reason to fix my dads boat....
and im not extremely high on nostalgia.

I know he loved the boat, but at the same time ive been asking him to use it and fix it since 2010.... and if he really loved it that much.. he would have at the very least took the covers off. He ask me to do it b4 he passed and I said no... i was trying to get him to come down to the house vs. sitting around in DC.

Kinda wish i would have took the covers off and showed him in a video like I just did for my mom.

Canvas alone is over $1,000 ... it all will have to be custom made because the boat was only built for 2 years back in 1976 and 77. if it were like other famous brands and made for years...then some after market and stock shit could be brought. the current covers on here now are all custom made back in 1992ish eara.... and he paid a grip for all of them including outside covers.

Unread
  (#40)
Your Ad Here

November 3, 2016, 12:36 PM

Ok. I didn't know what you could buy on your budget was essentially a similar but newer boat. I expected the repairs to Dad's old boat would hit $4-6,000K depending on how much you did yourself.

But if for a few thousands more you can have a much newer and better boat with all the modern amenities and electrics, it's a no brainer. Dad's boat is sold to a project orientated person and you roll the profits into something newer.

Unread
  (#41)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 3, 2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Ok. I didn't know what you could buy on your budget was essentially a similar but newer boat. I expected the repairs to Dad's old boat would hit $4-6,000K depending on how much you did yourself.

But if for a few thousands more you can have a much newer and better boat with all the modern amenities and electrics, it's a no brainer. Dad's boat is sold to a project orientated person and you roll the profits into something newer.
Yeah i cant beat the fuel injection v6 and v8 boats...plastic tanks and some of the late 90s and early 2000s have semi closed look systems with cooling plates...and only use sea water on the risers/exhaust.

better carpet...plastic floors or glass... that 1977 looks good...but I was just emailing on a 2000 with rebuilt engine...fuel injection...semi deep V haul that needs less water to float....and planes much faster...and have some new kind of insta trac hull that gets on plan and uses way less fuel.

If i could get my dads boat in a 75% good condition for $3000...id do it...but i know the outdrive seals alone cost $1080....

I might see if a contractor i have down there want to trade the boat for some labor. ...

Unread
  (#42)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 19, 2017, 09:52 AM

Almost boat season....

Do they have boats that have internal radiators vs. suck in sea water for cooling?

Unread
  (#43)
GP Racer

April 19, 2017, 09:54 AM

It's called closed loop cooling, that's what you want to look up.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#44)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 19, 2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post
It's called closed loop cooling, that's what you want to look up.
Thanks...
I've seen it on new jet skis, but was not sure if that type works on boats or if anyone made it.

Unread
  (#45)
GP Racer

April 19, 2017, 10:51 AM

They make them, they are not cheap, and I'm not sure the water near us is all that salty, I know you're down in VA so maybe you're closer to the sea?

I'd also think if I intended to keep a boat long term I'd want closed loop, just because it reduces scaling and other saltwater/brackish issues.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15