DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
9 members and 513 guests
2blueyam, bds120, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Dark, GRN96WS6, N8RIDER, RRonin, SHYUperman, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#46)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 19, 2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post
They make them, they are not cheap, and I'm not sure the water near us is all that salty, I know you're down in VA so maybe you're closer to the sea?

I'd also think if I intended to keep a boat long term I'd want closed loop, just because it reduces scaling and other saltwater/brackish issues.

I think my water is brackish. at leas the creek I am on.
I am on Corottoman river and Rappohanock River all leading and dumping into the Chesapeake bay va region.

I am looking at boat lifts since im about to get a new pier built.

Boat wise...I want to look and see like when they started using closed loop systems in boats along with EFI.

Id still paint the bottom, but after 30+ years with my dad and all the work we had to do just for a day or two out at sea.... I want it as easy as possible.

But I am sure even if they started using them in 2000...it's going to cost.
If i can find out the starting point I can see how much it would cost me.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#47)
Your Ad Here

April 20, 2017, 12:06 PM

Powered Boats:
An expensive headache when they're on the water.
An expensive headache when they're out of the water.

Get a Hobie, drop an electric trawling motor on the back and call it a day.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#48)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 20, 2017, 04:36 PM

Ive been torn....looking at shity Sea Pro's...they are ultra light, have super small cuddy for porta potty. outboard engine, very low draft (most cuddy boats need about 3 feet)
but its a hybrid fishing , cruising boat..mostly fishing with all plastic floors, low side, not much seating...and looks like a turd...

all the other boats I find are cool...but the draft is usually 3ft.

that brings me up to my next question.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#49)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 20, 2017, 04:36 PM

Is there a device or way to accurately monitor Low and High tides?
Example... since I have EXTREMELY low tide and if I was out on a boat but knew I needed to beat low tide once it got below a certain depth, is there some way to monitor it?
I was thinking if there is...some kind of floating device with communication ability that is attached to your Pier.

Unread
  (#50)
GP Racer

April 20, 2017, 09:34 PM

Isn't high and low tide published on NOAA daily? Maybe an app?

I'm not huge into boating but never heard of such a device as you describe.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#51)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 20, 2017, 11:56 PM

Yeah, there are general high and low tides, but since I am at the very end of a creek my water change is drastic at times. Also depending on wind. My creek is exactly east to west, so when we have strong winds it blows water in or out. I can have my dock under water like I posted, or have it down to nothing at all. It stabalize more in the summer, but I would want something I can monitor incase I need to make a mad dash home before extreem low tides. I also plan on renting a yearly boat slip just to make sure I dont get stuck. I ask this because it happend in 2015.
My boy and I was out on the jet skis then rode to my dock to pick up my GF and her daughter... on the way back I got about 300/500 feet from my dock and saw i was kicking up mud... I had to drop them off about 5 housed down from me at some one else pier then drive to the marina. Not sure how they would have felt seeing two females walking up to there house in bikinis lol.

Unread
  (#52)
Your Ad Here

April 21, 2017, 01:59 PM

The only thing I can think to do Von is some sort of homebrew notification system.
15ft pole with a float, cut the pole in half and attach a linkage at the joint.
When the float goes down past a certain minimum depth, the other end of the pole goes up and strikes a contact plate closing an electrical circuit.
The circuit sends a signal down a 5-guage electrical line run from your house where you'll have it terminate into a detector.
The detector will be wired into your home security system, and if trigger, will send you an email or text.

-Or-

you can have the pole end strike the strike the call/ squawk button of a two-way radio. Cheap Cobra's at Wal-Mart run about $50/pair and have about 15 mile effective range.
One stays on the dock. The other goes with you on your boat/vest.
Before you cast off you turn the suckers on. If you're out in the Bay and start hearing one of them keying / calling, you know the water is dropping down past your minimum threshold and to get back to dock.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#53)
GDMFSOB

April 25, 2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
I think my water is brackish. at leas the creek I am on.
I am on Corottoman river and Rappohanock River all leading and dumping into the Chesapeake bay va region.

I am looking at boat lifts since im about to get a new pier built.

Boat wise...I want to look and see like when they started using closed loop systems in boats along with EFI.

Id still paint the bottom, but after 30+ years with my dad and all the work we had to do just for a day or two out at sea.... I want it as easy as possible.

But I am sure even if they started using them in 2000...it's going to cost.
If i can find out the starting point I can see how much it would cost me.
We had a closed loop Mercury I/O in the 90's.
The nice thing about I/O or straight inboard motors is that they are usually like cars. Ours was a Chevy block. Almost anything was found at the local Trak Auto- alternator, belts, water pump (engine side) fuel pump......
Easy to work on too.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#54)

April 25, 2017, 01:00 PM

I would get a boat lift. Having a slip in a marina is a good back up plan. If they offer services to pull your boat out for storms that would be ideal.
Creeks are impossible to predict due to winds and tides take a while to reach inlets that NOAA does not provide data on.
Unread
  (#55)
Your Ad Here

April 25, 2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post
I would get a boat lift. Having a slip in a marina is a good back up plan. If they offer services to pull your boat out for storms that would be ideal.
Creeks are impossible to predict due to winds and tides take a while to reach inlets that NOAA does not provide data on.
That too.
Creeks are sensitive to wind changes and tides only add a multiplier.
Got caught out by a wind shift as low tide was settling it. It blew the water 5 feet below it's normal low tide and we couldn't get back into Islip.
Had to trawl around in the South Bay for an hour to find a place to tie off, wait for the wind to change and get the boat the next morning when tides came in.

Unread
  (#56)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 25, 2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
We had a closed loop Mercury I/O in the 90's.
The nice thing about I/O or straight inboard motors is that they are usually like cars. Ours was a Chevy block. Almost anything was found at the local Trak Auto- alternator, belts, water pump (engine side) fuel pump......
Easy to work on too.
Yes exactly.... My dads boad is a Ford Windsor 302 and we put 351 heads on it. All the main parts are off the shelf, but since it is OMC and they had a tendency to just slap damn near anything on the boat engines and drives...it was always hard to find parts (out drive)...

If i get an I/O it will def be a Mercruise with the chevy blocks and Alpha Drive. That is pretty much all i see online.

Hey by chance what model boat did you have with the close loop? Id assume fuel injected also?

Most of the boats I am looking...well....glancing at are late 90s to 2000.
But I am a few years away from that.

Just had 3 Pier quotes this weekend...and redesigning them they showed me will allow me to gain a little bit more water.

Unread
  (#57)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 25, 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post

I did not know my parents vacation house was a "Community" and had HOA fees until like 8 years ago. Its not typical community, but have the typical club house gym pool tennis and that type of thing.

My dad hardly ever uesd the marina, and I hardly visited it growing up. He used the public launch down the road because he like fishing on the Rappahannock River and if we left from the house its at least an hour drive via water.

So far launching from the community marina is free, but the slips are only $150 a year. since allot of the places are water front, there are always plenty of openings. Like you said I will buy a spot to reserve...probably leave some bicycles, or drop someone off at the neighbor's pier to get the truck to get the rest.

boat life price installed blew my mind...so ill get that later after I actually get a boat... $5800 for an east coast boat lift.

Boat Lift Manufacturer - Boat & PWC Lift Systems – EastCoastBoatLifts.com

Unread
  (#58)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 25, 2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
That too.
Creeks are sensitive to wind changes and tides only add a multiplier.
Got caught out by a wind shift as low tide was settling it. It blew the water 5 feet below it's normal low tide and we couldn't get back into Islip.
Had to trawl around in the South Bay for an hour to find a place to tie off, wait for the wind to change and get the boat the next morning when tides came in.
Yeah friday down at colonial beach (about 60 miles from me) a Tornado Fucked shit up....but It blew in so much water that I look like Jezuz walking on water..it was level with the dock. next day low tide down to 3 inches....then high tide to about 4ft...sunday low tide was 1.5 feet....high tide 3ft. shit is all over the place.

Unread
  (#59)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 25, 2017, 02:37 PM

I did some photo shop shit using google maps satellite view.

Here are teh 2 designs im narrowing down to.

the contractor who did all of my other work want to do it like design 001. He said with the curve of the creek I would get the max amount of Pier and deepest amount of water.

I sent him design 002. I like the way it look. I can look down the creek but I would say Id lose about 5ft distance from design 001 vs. 002 when you look at the engine placement. He is about to stick poles throughout the creek around my house and see what is the deepest semi consistent spot.

Here is an old picture... I just had all the trees on the shoreline removed and rip rap (rocks to help erosion) installed.

The original 1967 pier. behind fallen tree is the property line

Unread
  (#60)
GDMFSOB

April 25, 2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Yes exactly.... My dads boad is a Ford Windsor 302 and we put 351 heads on it. All the main parts are off the shelf, but since it is OMC and they had a tendency to just slap damn near anything on the boat engines and drives...it was always hard to find parts (out drive)...

If i get an I/O it will def be a Mercruise with the chevy blocks and Alpha Drive. That is pretty much all i see online.

Hey by chance what model boat did you have with the close loop? Id assume fuel injected also?

Most of the boats I am looking...well....glancing at are late 90s to 2000.
But I am a few years away from that.

Just had 3 Pier quotes this weekend...and redesigning them they showed me will allow me to gain a little bit more water.
The I/O was a Regal 190 bow rider. 302 FI with an Alpha 1 stern drive. Smaller than what you are looking for.
The other was a Mastercraft Proline I/B with the 351. That one had a 21" draft or something silly.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.