DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 494
0 members and 494 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
401K contributions, 2005-2008, Bartenders, and You
Unread
  (#1)
TPG - screw face

Thumbs up 401K contributions, 2005-2008, Bartenders, and You - September 29, 2008, 01:53 PM

Thought of this while doing payroll and eating my cup-o-noodles

401k – money comes out of your check and into a set investment

Bartending – money comes out of your pocket and into a set investment

401k – employer matches your investment (but not really if you get a chance to look at the fine print, ask your payroll provider)

Bartending – bartender says “this one’s on me” (but not really if you get a chance to look at your receipt)

401k – money is invested on your behalf in hopes that the stock you choose will yield a return

Bartending – money is invested on your behalf in hopes that the drink you choose will yield a good taste

401k – money invested on your behalf is not doing well

Bartending – money invested on your behalf is not doing well

401k – you are investing money and losing

Bartending – you are investing money and getting drunk on bad drinks AKA losing

401k – time passes..it’s time to retire…you’re broke

Bartending – time passes…it’s time to retire…you’re broke (and drunk)

You go home and look at ur paycheck
You go home and look at ur wallet

401k – u just handed over free money to the government

Bartending – u just handed free money over to some dbag (see the correlation)

401k – contributions are pre-tax

Bartending – tips = cash....get it?

401k – you’ll keep contributing

Bartending – you’ll keep contributing

401k - you will begin to make smaller contributions

bartending - you're paychecks will get bigger - thus allowing you to drink more

FWIW - i'll be getting my bartender's license in October...I'll keep ya posted on where I'll be taking your money...err I mean tending bar...hope to see you all there
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

September 29, 2008, 02:00 PM

Where are you getting your license from?

I got mine from the Professional Bartending school in Falls Church like 5 years ago.

I used to bartend @ papermoom back in the days in Georgetown.

Where are you trying to land a job?

CCS #133 AM

For all of your oil and filtration needs go to www.dc-moto.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG - screw face

September 29, 2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaRC51Racer
Where are you getting your license from?

I got mine from the Professional Bartending school in Falls Church like 5 years ago.

I used to bartend @ papermoom back in the days in Georgetown.

Where are you trying to land a job?

i'll be going to the same place...it's like $250 for the 2 week option (6-10pm M-F with a double class on Sat, then you test out the following Sunday)

Papermoon - ain't that the strip joint?..lucky SOB lol...hell I'll work there...I'm lookin to land something in a club...DC, Gtown, Clarendon, Fairfax....almost anywhere, I'm done with the restaurant BS.

Figure the class will pay for itself in a day or 2.
Unread
  (#4)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

September 29, 2008, 02:40 PM

Papermoon isn't a strip club

It's a yuppy bar in Georgetown and during the weekend it's a big place to go dancing.

You'll have fun @ the school. Great instructors and they will help you with job placement.

I'm thinking about going back to bartending part time on weekends.

CCS #133 AM

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#5)
One and Only

September 29, 2008, 03:01 PM

Even in a joking sense, that's an awfully skewed outlook on the job.

Anyway...good luck in school.

I would highly, highly recommend looking at some of the new high-end find dining places around town. DC is kind of blowing up right now, and it could be a good time to jump in.

It's a different world, though. If you're into slinging 18000 RedBull & Vodkas, and mixing shooter after shooter, (Hey, can't have too many Purple Hooters) then the club thing may be what you want.

Rather, if you prefer to treat what you do as a craft or an art, or the idea of a bar-chef interests you, don't bail on the "Restaurant BS." That and you can do half the work for the same money.

There's alot of people out there making a very, very good living mixing full time. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

But whatever. Talking too much. (It's shop-talk for me )

good luck!

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

September 29, 2008, 03:03 PM

I work in DC and the market for jobs in that arena is tight.

Most people that have shifts in a decent bar in DC have been there for sometime and have worked there way up. The good bars have very little turnover and their shifts are like gold.

Be prepared to wait and circulate your resume (which will have little to no experience on it) alot.
Unread
  (#7)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

September 29, 2008, 03:08 PM

When you go for your interview always ask them what top shelf brands they use, if they prefer free pour method or jigur (sp?), and most importantly ask them about the shift you will be hired for and their policies regarding picking up shifts on weeknights and weekends.

Some places...especially resteraunts you have to tip out the hosts, bouncers, bar back staff and bus boys.

Most new bartenders never ask these questions.

CCS #133 AM

Unread
  (#8)
One and Only

September 29, 2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
I work in DC and the market for jobs in that arena is tight.

Most people that have shifts in a decent bar in DC have been there for sometime and have worked there way up. The good bars have very little turnover and their shifts are like gold.

Be prepared to wait and circulate your resume (which will have little to no experience on it) alot.
That's a very good point too.

Most really good bars have bartenders that have an almost celebrity status. A girl I grew up with acutually sent her old bar to bankruptcy when she left. Her legion of regulars followed her and the place fell apart. This was in DC.

Honestly, if you're looking at that type of place, your best bet may to look for a bar-back spot first. You'll learn the game first, and if you're lucky, someone will see that you're taking it seriously and are willing to do the work required to get there.

Just a thought.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#9)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

September 29, 2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
That's a very good point too.

Most really good bars have bartenders that have an almost celebrity status. A girl I grew up with acutually sent her old bar to bankruptcy when she left. Her legion of regulars followed her and the place fell apart. This was in DC.

Honestly, if you're looking at that type of place, your best bet may to look for a bar-back spot first. You'll learn the game first, and if you're lucky, someone will see that you're taking it seriously and are willing to do the work required to get there.

Just a thought.
Great advice!!!

Especially if you are looking to get into somewhere like Sequoia's or any of the clubs downtown.

CCS #133 AM

Unread
  (#10)
Meh

September 29, 2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Just a thought.
+1 on that. The two guys I know that actually own bars now, started as bar backs.
Unread
  (#11)
One and Only

September 29, 2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
+1 on that. The two guys I know that actually own bars now, started as bar backs.

Yep. From an employers perspective, it shows commitment.

At my last shop, my guys were really, really highly trained. Over the top, really. Very very well compensated too.

A quick way to weed out the greedy brats was to tell them that they'd bus and host for at least the first month of training. Not always true, but it showed me their intentions pretty quickly.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#12)
TPG - screw face

September 29, 2008, 03:28 PM

hahah bar back..WTF lol

oh...i have about a year and some change bartending. Most place when you tell them you went through TGIF bartending course...they know you are pretty much well skooled....

-cuz TGIF starts you as a food runner (learn the menu and seating)
-then you move up to a shadower (follow around a waiter/waitress)
-then you become a waiter or waitress - tested
-then you become a drink runner for a cocktail server (learn the drinks)
-then you become a shadower for a cocktail server (learn the faster pace -style of cocktail serving)
-then you become a cocktail server - tested
-then you become and Service Bartender (mainly work the service bar making drinks for the entire restaurant, except those seated at the bar - VERY fast paced)
-then you finally...finally become a Bartender...after passing the pour test free pour and jigger style) and make a minimum of 40 drinks including 8frozens from memory, and remembering wines and what is best served with what meal etc etc.

and TGIF encourages Flair bartending...just another leg up over the competition if i choose to work in a venue that can support that.

been there...done that...so with that and the professional school on my "part-time gig resume" lol - I should do ok.

a few people gawk at TGIF bartenders....they got the hardest tests in the land...fa sho.
Unread
  (#13)
One and Only

September 29, 2008, 03:29 PM

OK

The land of chains, maybe.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#14)
TPG - screw face

September 29, 2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
OK

The land of chains, maybe.

lol...don't knock it till you try it...I went over to Coastal Flats and some other chains....and asked about their bartending course or whatever had to be done to be a bartender....most of them were like oh just put down the position you want on ur application...i was like...hmmm and what do i learn? - so I bailed. TGIF was the only place that actually discouraged it when I asked - citing their informal course; yet well respected on the outside.

And I would like to go the fine dining route....but in the long run...I don't think i'm fine dining material hahaha...I like to get you in, good conversation, seated, drunk, your money, and see ya again tomorrow.
Unread
  (#15)
One and Only

September 29, 2008, 03:47 PM

My place wasn't even at the top. More of a mid-level kind of FD place. But, just to wait tables:

64 bottles total
13 Ultra Premium Bourbons
9 Ultra Premium Single Malts
7 vodkas
etc etc etc

Know 'em all. Where they come from. What they're made from. Characteristics of each. History of distilleries.

350 bottle wine list. Know each by bin #, varietal, country, region. Tasting notes for each. Pairings are a given. Oh, this changes weekly.

A menu that completely changes weekly. Knowing where each item comes from, how fresh it is. What it ate. Sometimes even the name of the farmer or fisherman.

Local knowledge. Parks, lakes, historical facts, etc. Property dimension. Property acquisition.

And that's just before the first 2top is taken.

Not downplaying accomplishments or capabilities or anything. Just that chains are far from highly trained establishment, irregardless of how much "training" they do. They are incredibly efficient and profitable, though.

Right up the 1 hole.