DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 515
1 members and 514 guests
fxc3700
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
65th D-Day Anniversary
Unread
  (#1)
Crackdays for everyone!

65th D-Day Anniversary - June 6, 2009, 05:11 PM

Today marks the 65th anniversary of the D-Day. Some of you have probably seen some of the Normandy coverage on TV. 5 years ago I had probably one of my proud moments of my military career. At the time I was part of 29th Light Inf Div National Guard out of Fredericksburg, VA. The 29th Div commander requested that every unit in the 29th send one member to Normandy France for the anniversary. I was some how selected to represent my unit over all others. We were told to soak in as much as we could. We were told that we would meeting up with the veterans of the 29th ID and spend time with them. We were asked to hear their stories and bring back as much history of our Division as possible. What I saw and some of the stories I heard were just plan amazing. I thought I would take some time to post of some of the pictures I took when I was over there and share some of my thoughts about what I think of when I think of:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcknudse...vOfDDayFrance#

See these beach took my breath away. I looked over and saw Point De Hoc and was again amazed. Thinking from a military stand point I looked at in from a couple of different views. I looked at the coast line and saw a prefect defensive position. Of which many of the bunkers are still intact for the most part. I was confused on how the nazi's failed. If it werent for the shear numbers of men that stormed that beach nothing should have broken through. That got me thinking about the men that stormed that beach. And how they had to know that this could be the last thing they ever did. But they must have thought that it was through this beach that there path to home must start. Looking to my left and to my right I see some of my fellow soldiers from my BN and Div that were there with me. And I think that they must have also said that they had to do whatever it took to look out for the buddies in arms. That they grew a bond like no other training with these men. And some how I felt the same kind of bond with the me and women that I served with. And what about the leadership, from the President of the US to that lowly 2nd Lt. These men had a lot to deal with. Knowing more in some cases of the fate that layed before these men that we called to duty and told to storm the beachs of Utah and Omaha.

Matt K.
09 R6

Last edited by ZX-Matt; June 6, 2009 at 05:14 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ZX-Matt  
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

June 6, 2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks for sharing Matt. It's a shame that soon pictures are all we'll have of the WWII generation.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Resident Rodent

June 6, 2009, 07:01 PM

Matt,

Awesome.

I was there 3 weeks ago. We laid a wreath at the memorial.

Video: http://www.magicratvideos.com/Temp/I.../Normandy.html

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com

Last edited by Magic-Rat; June 6, 2009 at 07:09 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Say Jur Oh

June 6, 2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Thanks for sharing Matt. It's a shame that soon pictures are all we'll have of the WWII generation.
+1

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou