DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
4 members and 572 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids, shiphteey, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
7-Year-Old Feeds Live Animals to Croc in Zoo after breaking in
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

7-Year-Old Feeds Live Animals to Croc in Zoo after breaking in - October 3, 2008, 09:47 AM

What would you do if this was your kid?

7-Year-Old Breaks Into Zoo, Feeds Live Animals to Croc

SYDNEY, Australia A blank-faced 7-year-old boy broke into a popular Outback zoo, fed a string of animals to the resident crocodile and bashed several lizards to death with a rock, the zoo's director said Friday.

The boy jumped a security fence at the Alice Springs Reptile Center in central Australia early Wednesday, then went on a 30-minute killing spree, using a rock to slay three lizards, including the zoo's beloved, 20-year-old goanna, which he then fed to "Terry," an 11-foot, 440-pound vsaltwater crocodile, said zoo director Rex Neindorf.

The boy, whose deadly acts were caught on the zoo's security camera, also threw several live animals to Terry over the two fences surrounding the crocodile's enclosure, at one point climbing over the outer fence to get closer to the giant reptile. In the footage, the boy's face remains largely blank, Neindorf said.

"It was like he was playing a game," he said.

He killed 13 animals worth around $5,500, including a turtle, bearded dragons and thorny devil lizards, Neindorf said. Although none were rare, some would be difficult to replace, he said.

"We're horrified that anyone can do this, and saddened by the age of the child," Neindorf said.

Alice Springs police said they identified the boy, who lives locally, but were unable to press charges because of his age. Children under age 10 are not criminally liable under the law in the Northern Territory.

"By all accounts, he's quite a nasty 7-year-old," said Neindorf, who plans to sue the boy's parents. "If we can't put the blame onto the child, then someone has to accept the responsibility."

The zoo's security system, which relies on sensors, probably did not detect the boy because he is so small, Neindorf said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,432085,00.html

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 3, 2008, 09:59 AM

That's just scary...

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#3)
Good Girl Gone Biker

October 3, 2008, 10:00 AM

Beatriz
BRG/W

QikEnuF: omg still talking. I regret my life.

yzfrone: and buell? ill chop my toes off and add it to my salad before I sit on one.

DarksideSW20: need varying degrees. beware of dog, beware of dangerous dog, beware of dog shooting bees out of its mouth...

NoVaGhost: Oops...bought a gixxer and the dumbassery set in quicker than i expected.... never made it home.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Coluchi Send a message via AIM to Coluchi Send a message via Skype™ to Coluchi 
Unread
  (#4)
making it do what it do!!

October 3, 2008, 10:03 AM

He had to be Aussie... I can so picture him having his own Discovery show....or the next Michael Vick....

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Eat, Lift, Sleep.... (REPEAT)!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MANIMAL  
Unread
  (#5)
Mommy's Little Monster

October 3, 2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikkant
"By all accounts, he's quite a nasty 7-year-old," said Neindorf, who plans to sue the boy's parents. "If we can't put the blame onto the child, then someone has to accept the responsibility."

The zoo's security system, which relies on sensors, probably did not detect the boy because he is so small, Neindorf said.

Not that what the boy did was right by any means. But these statements are just sad. I doubt the director knows the child or family on a personal level, and one could guess that the parents are just as horrified and troubled by his actions as anyone else.

If you can't blame the child based on the law, then blame yourself for an inadequate security system. Accept the fact that it's not to the best of its abilities and make a promise to address the situation. That's being responsible.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

October 3, 2008, 10:19 AM

Future serial killer in the making.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#7)
Eddie would go ...

October 3, 2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta

If you can't blame the child based on the law, then blame yourself for an inadequate security system. Accept the fact that it's not to the best of its abilities and make a promise to address the situation. That's being responsible.

ehmmm fail....

wtf is a 7 yr old doing out unattended after hours breaking and entering a zoo??? damn right that's a parent's responsibility - he's not of age hence they are responsible for his whereabouts and actions....

blame the security system? come on - next time a bike gets stolen lets blame the security system, the parking lot etc etc....

this kid has issues - wanna guess where they came from (not the security system)

once again... FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#8)
fruta fresca

October 3, 2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Future serial killer in the making.
YEP

"no me olvides que yo no te olvidare"
Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

October 3, 2008, 10:51 AM

lol Goanna...aptly named...wasn't that name of the lizard thing in that animated movie....Fern Gully and The Rescuers Down Under....and weren't they both Australian?

hahah lil Crocodile Dundee

Last edited by Oneway; October 3, 2008 at 10:53 AM..
Unread
  (#10)
Mommy's Little Monster

October 3, 2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
wtf is a 7 yr old doing out unattended after hours breaking and entering a zoo??? damn right that's a parent's responsibility - he's not of age hence they are responsible for his whereabouts and actions....

blame the security system? come on - next time a bike gets stolen lets blame the security system, the parking lot etc etc....

this kid has issues - wanna guess where they came from (not the security system)
Cleary the kid shouldn't have been out, but purely based on the fact that the law in Australia (according to the article) protects the kid from being prosecuted, simply complaining isnt going to help anyone's situation.

Since i'm not an Aussie lawyer I don't know how the parents are being viewed from a legallity standpoint. If anything, send them to a parenting class, something, whatever. Believe me, I'm all for parents accepting responsibility for their children, it's a growing problem in our world today. But if the Aussie law protects them, it protects them. Take a look at the law itself. If something's not right, do something about it. Whatever happened to looking at the base of a problem in an attempt to prevent future mishaps, rather than simply seeking out monetery compensation?? Or if nothing else, invite the child to have some one on one time with the zookeepers and animals so that he may gain a greater understanding for the life of others.

I may be alone in my opinion on this particular case, but sounds to me the law may have issues - wanna guess where they came from (not the security system)

My point is that simply jumping to the conclusion that you must sue someone to make things right again is absolutely rediculous. There are better and more effective ways of dealing with the problem, i.e. taking an active interest in the development and growth of the child.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#11)
Eddie would go ...

October 3, 2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta

My point is that simply jumping to the conclusion that you must sue someone to make things right again is absolutely rediculous. There are better and more effective ways of dealing with the problem, i.e. taking an active interest in the development and growth of the child.
Fine, forget the parenting (the whole issue). Are you suggesting the zoo write off the loss as 'bad luck'? So let us say a 7 yr old pushes your bike over, grabs a rock and carves Spongebob cartoons all over and then proceeds to break every piece of plastic off. Do you write it off? or go ask for his parents' insurance company? (after which you will of course spend time with said toddler explaining to him the magic of sportbikes and he will grow up to be the next nicky hayden...film rights to follow)

The Aussies are not nearly as litigiuous as Americans and they are not sueing for 'mental anguish' or bs..they will look to be compensated for material damages...don't they (and the viewing public) have a right to that? If you agree they do, the responsible party must own up, and that brings us back to ....

Look at it this way: If I let my 2 yr old pit run wild and he decides to bite your little Fluffy in half, do you say "oh well too bad I should have had a better fence for Fluffy - my bad" or do you ask me (the owner) about my insurance...

I do agree that perhaps he should spend more time feeding Terry...starting with his right hand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

October 3, 2008, 11:14 AM

Maybe he thought he was setting the reptiles free.

Reborn in death, sacrificed to the archosaur.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#13)
Mommy's Little Monster

October 3, 2008, 11:31 AM

I'm willing to bet the zoo has insurance that could compensate their damages. That being said, if the law protects both parents and child, that doesn't necessarily make it right, but it is the law. Bottom line.

I completely agree with your opinons of what's right and wrong in this case, but opinions only mean so much. If the zoo is that unhappy with the outcome, they need to take a different course of action, like turning to the law makers for assistance or change. (Which in my opinion would be toally justifiable) But it doesn't sound like they've gone down that road...at least not yet.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 3, 2008, 11:41 AM

A zoo keeper should've got him in the act and tossed his little ass in with 'Terry'.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
Officially Addicted to Posting

October 3, 2008, 11:50 AM

Feed his ass to the lions and throw another shrimp on the barbie