DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 140
2 members and 138 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
7th Grade American Citizen Victim of Racism by Teacher
Unread
  (#1)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

7th Grade American Citizen Victim of Racism by Teacher - June 29, 2010, 08:23 AM

This is an outrage. What is wrong with this teacher that she has such a prejudice that she will use an American Born seventh grader to show her true colors and make a political statement. What is even worse is how the school handled it. They made the mother wait while the school interrogated the little girl privately making her sign statements without her mother's consent or presence. WTF? Then to top it all off she was given the option to pick up trash when she was too embarrassed to return to class. This is absolutely enfuriating. I am not Mexican, but I am a minority and this type of blame and prejudice is exactly the result of the Arizona immigration law, the lack of holding companies accountable for hiring illegals, the stereotype that Hispnics are bad, and playing on people's fear and stupidity. The teacher should be fired, as well as the school administration changed for handling the girl and treating her like a murder suspect. It is very sad when you see an American Born Child being treated like a criminal and is a durect victim of racism.

Teacher Chides Girl, 12, for Wearing Mexico Shirt in School

By Ed Barnes
Published June 28, 2010
| FOXNews.com

When Coral Avilez went to school on June 11, the seventh-grader knew two things: She would get to watch Mexico play South Africa on TV that day, and she would get to wear the Mexico shirt she had bought while on vacation earlier in the year.

What the 12-year-old didn’t know was that the shirt would touch off an incident that would send her fleeing from class and spark an investigation into racial animosity.

The game was already on when Coral walked into performing arts class at Big Bear Middle School in Big Bear, Calif. As she sat and watched, her teacher saw her shirt emblazoned with the Mexican colors and, in front of the entire class, asked if she supported Mexico, according to Leroy Martinez, the vice president of the local League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC).

According to Martinez, Coral thought she was being asked a soccer question, and answered yes.

“Then what are you doing in my country?” the teacher asked, according to Martinez.

Stunned, the American-born student asked, “Why?”
“Because people like you make me pay higher taxes and make my insurance rate go up,” the teacher replied, according to Martinez.
Confused and hurt, Coral then ran out of the class crying.
But that wasn’t the end of it, Martinez said.

When Coral’s mother showed up to take the girl home, he said, she was told she would have to wait. Coral was being questioned about the incident by a group of school officials, including the teacher who allegedly made the remarks, and had to sign a paper before her mother could take her home.

On Monday she asked not to go back to class, and she was given two choices: sit in the principal’s office and read a book,or pick up trash with the janitor. Martinez said Coral felt uncomfortable in the principal’s office, and she opted to picked up trash.

Tim Larson, the school board’s director of personnel, was assigned to investigate the incident. The superintendent’s office said that he was the only one authorized to speak about the matter. He did not return a call left with his secretary, who said he was doing interviews.

Now the girl and her mother, supported by local civil rights groups, are asking that the teacher’s conduct be investigated for possible disciplinary action. The teacher later apologized to the class, according to local newspapers.

“The school has agreed, and we will meet with the superintendent this week to make sure that the investigation doesn’t drag on,” Martinez said. He said that there had been similar incidents in the area but this was the first time someone had come forward to complain. He said kids were usually intimidated by the teachers and afraid of repercussions if they asked for help.

Lizette J. Olmos, communications director of national LULAC office, said that the case was important not only because it showed racial animosity against the student but because of the rising tide nationally of hate crimes.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#2)
Sick!!!

June 29, 2010, 08:35 AM

The teacher is a jackass. No matter what there will always be ignorant people in this world.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert  
Unread
  (#3)

June 29, 2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogert View Post
The teacher is a jackass. No matter what there will always be ignorant people in this world.
Agreed, but a school full of them educating children is the scariest part.

They treated her like a criminal then made her pick up trash when she was too embarrassed to return to class and felt too uncomfortable sitting in front of the principal. I mean seriously OMGWTFBBQ on this one.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 29, 2010, 08:43 AM

Payback for the school administrators who punished the kids for wearing american flag shirts, imo

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 29, 2010, 09:07 AM

In 7th grade a teacher told me that not watching football was un-American.

I'm so confused.
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

June 29, 2010, 09:17 AM

I agree the teacher should be fired. The administration needs to be punished in some form. The mother should have been let in, the teacher in question should not have been present, and having a 12yo sign something? Why, its not legal for minors to sign or enter in to any contract with out a co signature by the legal guardian. It only serves to prove they question her with out a legal guardian present.

However the trash thing, she had three options, class, and I can see where that really wasnt an option, sitting in the principals office reading (ding ding ding, winner) or picking up trash with the janitor (Im guessing cafeteria. Which was a common detention, or if you got kicked out of class detail at my jr high.)

They should have given her the option to read in the library if there was someone to supervise available, anywhere in any administrative office would suffice.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)

June 29, 2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post
Payback for the school administrators who punished the kids for wearing american flag shirts, imo

Payback? What is wrong with you? This is not 2 sides fighting. This is not Mexico vs the US. This is not a battleground, or political stage. THIS is supposed to be the American school system. The kids being punished for wearing American Flag shirts is just as outrageous and just as concerning. Morals and upbringing should not be imposed on our children by the schools. That' is the parents job. Schools need to stick to teaching kids how to read write and do math. GTFO of Politics.

Unread
  (#8)
I got a need for Speed!_!

June 29, 2010, 09:19 AM

Agreed that bitch should be fired and the school may face a lawsuit. Asking a child to not go to class and work with the janitor, WTF? They really know how to treat her like a 3rd world citizen at this school. That teacher is an idiot alright, how much tax does she really pay anyway? She works for the government that pays her salary, talk about uneducated.

TPM Red
AMA#629103
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to thespectralsorrows Send a message via AIM to thespectralsorrows  
Unread
  (#9)
TPG og

June 29, 2010, 09:21 AM

If that was my moms.... teacher would've been layed the fudge out.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 29, 2010, 09:23 AM

BTW when did identifying minors routinely become acceptable?
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 29, 2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Payback? What is wrong with you? This is not 2 sides fighting. This is not Mexico vs the US. This is not a battleground, or political stage. THIS is supposed to be the American school system. The kids being punished for wearing American Flag shirts is just as outrageous and just as concerning. Morals and upbringing should not be imposed on our children by the schools. That' is the parents job. Schools need to stick to teaching kids how to read write and do math. GTFO of Politics.

WHOA, sparky.

I was fucking joking

I too think it's absurd, no matter WHICH shirt was worn.

Maybe i needed a sarcasm smiley

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

June 29, 2010, 09:34 AM

Assuming for the moment that the article is accurate (which takes a large leap of faith that is only buffered by the knowledge that there are truly some wack people in positions of responsibility) the teacher should be fired and banned from teaching.

There are some things you can't forgive on the basis of a mistake, a moment of bad judgement, or just having a crappy day. Had she been speaking to another adult with the right to defend themselves and reply in kind that would be one thing, but she wasn't, she was speaking to a child.

What a moronic thing to do.

Edit: and that incident with the kids wearing the american flag was just as bad. Both are prime examples of inappropriate intolorance.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

June 29, 2010, 10:07 AM

It is funny that the only thing I can find on this is just a bunch of reposts from Fox news and they are the only ones who have any quotes. There was a little blurb in the local paper but not anything significant. I guess I will wait to see what unfolds.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Last edited by R6speed; June 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#14)

June 29, 2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
I agree the teacher should be fired. The administration needs to be punished in some form. The mother should have been let in, the teacher in question should not have been present, and having a 12yo sign something? Why, its not legal for minors to sign or enter in to any contract with out a co signature by the legal guardian. It only serves to prove they question her with out a legal guardian present.

However the trash thing, she had three options, class, and I can see where that really wasnt an option, sitting in the principals office reading (ding ding ding, winner) or picking up trash with the janitor (Im guessing cafeteria. Which was a common detention, or if you got kicked out of class detail at my jr high.)

They should have given her the option to read in the library if there was someone to supervise available, anywhere in any administrative office would suffice.
Reading in the library is good option, but to sit in the Proncipal's office seemed like a form of punishment for doing nothing wrong. And honestly who knows what happened in the office, what questions were asked, and making her sign a statement. Sounds more like an interrogation than anything. She felt uncomfortable. Understandably so if she is surrounded by a school administration treating her like a criminal. She is a seventh grade American that did nothing wrong. Not a criminal.

Unread
  (#15)

June 29, 2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Assuming for the moment that the article is accurate (which takes a large leap of faith that is only buffered by the knowledge that there are truly some wack people in positions of responsibility) the teacher should be fired and banned from teaching.

There are some things you can't forgive on the basis of a mistake, a moment of bad judgement, or just having a crappy day. Had she been speaking to another adult with the right to defend themselves and reply in kind that would be one thing, but she wasn't, she was speaking to a child.

What a moronic thing to do.

Edit: and that incident with the kids wearing the american flag was just as bad. Both are prime examples of inappropriate intolorance.
Agreed