DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
2 members and 482 guests
Sal_the_man, Taty
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
8 Year old shackled.....
Unread
  (#1)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ
 
otb's Avatar
 
Posts: 715
Join Date: December 22, 2010
Location: Pasadena, Md
8 Year old shackled..... - March 9, 2013, 12:19 PM

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/03/08/eight-year-old-special-needs-student-arrested-in-illinois/

A young Missouri special needs student was arrested and held in a police car for nearly two hours earlier this week, prompting criticism and outrage from the girl’s parents. Officers from the Alton Police Department placed 8-year-old Jmiya Rickman in handcuffs after she threw a temper tantrum at Love Joy Elementary School. Rickman, who is autistic, allegedly attacked a school resource officer, and tore up a pair of classrooms on Tuesday. Speaking to KSDK TV in St. Louis, the girl’s guardian and uncle, Nehemiah Keeton, said the tantrum was not Jmiya’s first. He said she suffers from separation anxiety and depression, in addition to autism.
“I trusted the school to give her the adequate treatment and care she deserves and they failed us,” he said during an interview. Keeton was on his way to the school to pick Jmiya up, when he got a call from police that she was under arrest.
“Every time they have ever called me I have always responded, that’s why I did not understand why did they had to go to that extreme to dial 911. They knew I was coming,” Keeton continued. “To have know that her feet, her hands, and her waist was cuffed, she was shackled. I feel like they went about and beyond.”
Alton police believe that the officer on the scene was justified in his actions, and that he was forced to arrest the child when she lashed out at the school worker. Capt. Scott Waldrup told KSDK that placing Jmiya in handcuffs was for her own protection as well.
“I will tell you in this particular case, it was necessary to protect that child by restraining that child,” he said.
Jmiya will not return to Love Joy Elementary, leaving Keeton to home school her until he can find a school that can provide proper care for her.


Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
poz top looking 4 neg bot
 
Slow's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,620
Join Date: April 18, 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
March 9, 2013, 01:08 PM

So? She went full blown potato at school. They cant risk having this retard hurt one of the other children at school.

Amazingly the pigs actually did something right this time. At least they didn't taze her.


horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah
 
Stillie's Avatar
 
Posts: 18,909
Join Date: February 5, 2003
Location: Kickin' it with Stevie Janowski
March 9, 2013, 01:19 PM

Oh cool. Another racebaiting site.


13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here
 
Heist's Avatar
 
Posts: 32,592
Join Date: August 25, 2008
Location: Washington, D.C.
March 9, 2013, 01:22 PM

We shoot 20 lbs animals who go batshit crazy, destroy areas and attack humans. A human who loses their marbles is not much different than a rabid animal to me.

The administrators were right to call the parents and the police when she began attacking teachers.

Mental incompetence is not an exclusive right to attack anyone and if you're crazy enough to do it in front of a police officer, you ought to be restrained.

The Uncle is a loon for saying that the school failed him, and that he believed they did not in this instance provide the adequate care and treatment she deserved. He should be thankful the teacher didn't front kick his precious angel across the room when she was attacked.

The lesson here for all; never go full retard.



“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher
 
zx6rfool's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,827
Join Date: June 9, 2003
Location: Winchester
March 9, 2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post

The Uncle is a loon for saying that the school failed him, and that he believed they did not in this instance provide the adequate care and treatment she deserved. He should be thankful the teacher didn't front kick his precious angel across the room when she was attacked.
QFT. Problem is families have relinquished responsibility for their children to the school system expecting schools to raise and be responsible for their children.


-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!
 
MudDawg's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,391
Join Date: August 25, 2004
Location: Dulles
March 9, 2013, 05:37 PM

First, for the safety of all she needed to be restrained. I get that.

But the education system knows that there are students with mental and emotional issues. The kids simply can't control themselves and in frustration lash out. Chemical imbalance can be the problem. The typical school teacher is just simply NOT prepared and expected to handle it anyway. It really does require a school with highly trained staff to be able to intervene and redirect the child.

This isn't the fault of the teacher, school, child, or parent. It's a sad situation. Child needs help. But that level of help is incredibly expensive. Think on the order of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. School doesn't have it. Parents in most cases don't have it.

Having seen parents trying to deal with that in person is really hard to handle. So tread lightly. You never know when that type of issue will rear it's ugly head in your family.


I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
On vacation
 
RileysDad's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,977
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Rockville, MD
March 9, 2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
First, for the safety of all she needed to be restrained. I get that.

But the education system knows that there are students with mental and emotional issues. The kids simply can't control themselves and in frustration lash out. Chemical imbalance can be the problem. The typical school teacher is just simply NOT prepared and expected to handle it anyway. It really does require a school with highly trained staff to be able to intervene and redirect the child.

This isn't the fault of the teacher, school, child, or parent. It's a sad situation. Child needs help. But that level of help is incredibly expensive. Think on the order of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. School doesn't have it. Parents in most cases don't have it.

Having seen parents trying to deal with that in person is really hard to handle. So tread lightly. You never know when that type of issue will rear it's ugly head in your family.
Very well said and I completely agree. My girl is a special education teacher and after hearing some of her stories, I have a new respect for both the children, parents, and teachers that have to deal with these issues. It's a tough problem to handle no matter how you slice it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher
 
zx6rfool's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,827
Join Date: June 9, 2003
Location: Winchester
March 9, 2013, 11:04 PM

It is a sad situation, I completely agree, its a situation Im not completely unfamiliar with , and one I hope as a new father I dont get too familiar with, but for the uncle to say the school failed. Thats just a demonstration of people expecting too much from the system to supplement what needs to be provided from home. Its placing blame and pointing fingers, and as I was told when I was 8, when you point a finger, you have three pointing back at you.


-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
I came I saw I shat mysef
 
jron's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,068
Join Date: July 21, 2003
Location: Fairfax, VA
March 10, 2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
We shoot 20 lbs animals who go batshit crazy, destroy areas and attack humans. A human who loses their marbles is not much different than a rabid animal to me.

The administrators were right to call the parents and the police when she began attacking teachers.

Mental incompetence is not an exclusive right to attack anyone and if you're crazy enough to do it in front of a police officer, you ought to be restrained.
Dude... its an 8 year old KID !


-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer
 
coolkhas's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,157
Join Date: March 31, 2011
Location: coolkhas@gmail.com
March 10, 2013, 08:06 AM

You never go full retart man, you never go full retard.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ
 
otb's Avatar
 
Posts: 715
Join Date: December 22, 2010
Location: Pasadena, Md
March 10, 2013, 09:27 AM

Just curious to see what folks' reaction would be...

Some of you know I spent 4 years teaching in a lockdown level 5 behavioral school in Baltimore with EXACTLY these kinds of students. I was stabbed by a 10 year old with a sharpened comb handle who was in one of these kinds of rages....she trashed the room and tried to kill ANYBODY who came near her.

I've been bitten, stabbed, punched, kicked, spit on, and called EVERY name you can imagine (plus a couple of new ones). I've spent HOURS in restraints with kids who calm down and then just keep re-escalating.

Not fun. Sounds like this child NEEDS a school like that, but I don't think the family knows what the little girl is in for. In regular school, they call the cops, keep the other kids and staff away from the child and wait....in a level five school, the staff pile on and hold the child till they either calm down or the cops arrive; depending on the level of destruction.

The family has to sign a TON of waivers , so they understand that if the child acts out OR THREATENS to act out, they will be physically restrained by staff.

Once the cops show up, it's minimum cuffs, and also ankle and waist chains if the child is still wigging out.

I can't tell you haw many times I've had to listen to parents claim that our restraints were unnecessary (while we limp to the meeting or have to leave to go to the hospital).


Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
March 10, 2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jron View Post

Dude... its an 8 year old KID !
I've seen the aftermath of a 9 year old having a meltdown in class. He stabbed his teacher with a pencil

Austin PD wasn't fucking around. They cuffed his ass, then muzzled him when he started biting


TX has a program for kids prone to these outbursts, ad it's pretty successful.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...

Last edited by Fitz; March 10, 2013 at 09:48 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
No more 1050 :(
 
drz1050's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,740
Join Date: June 12, 2011
Location: upstate NY
March 10, 2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
Just curious to see what folks' reaction would be...

Some of you know I spent 4 years teaching in a lockdown level 5 behavioral school in Baltimore with EXACTLY these kinds of students. I was stabbed by a 10 year old with a sharpened comb handle who was in one of these kinds of rages....she trashed the room and tried to kill ANYBODY who came near her.

I've been bitten, stabbed, punched, kicked, spit on, and called EVERY name you can imagine (plus a couple of new ones). I've spent HOURS in restraints with kids who calm down and then just keep re-escalating.

Not fun. Sounds like this child NEEDS a school like that, but I don't think the family knows what the little girl is in for. In regular school, they call the cops, keep the other kids and staff away from the child and wait....in a level five school, the staff pile on and hold the child till they either calm down or the cops arrive; depending on the level of destruction.

The family has to sign a TON of waivers , so they understand that if the child acts out OR THREATENS to act out, they will be physically restrained by staff.

Once the cops show up, it's minimum cuffs, and also ankle and waist chains if the child is still wigging out.

I can't tell you haw many times I've had to listen to parents claim that our restraints were unnecessary (while we limp to the meeting or have to leave to go to the hospital).
So wait... you and your fellow teachers would just pile on the kid to hold them down, you didn't have any kind of restraint available until the cops showed up? No zip ties?

Fuck that.. if I'm getting stabbed, I'm restraining that person with something other than my hands. I'll take off my belt/ shirt and use that if nothing else is available.

Last edited by drz1050; March 10, 2013 at 09:50 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
March 10, 2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post

So wait... you and your fellow teachers would just pile on the kid to hold them down, you didn't have any kind of restraint available until the cops showed up? No zip ties?
Yeah that made me curious too.

In the one I mentioned in TX, they'd hold a kid down, but only long enough for another staff member to grab some restraints. They had a special harness , rather than hard cuffs.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ
 
otb's Avatar
 
Posts: 715
Join Date: December 22, 2010
Location: Pasadena, Md
March 10, 2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
So wait... you and your fellow teachers would just pile on the kid to hold them down, you didn't have any kind of restraint available until the cops showed up? No zip ties?

Fuck that.. if I'm getting stabbed, I'm restraining that person with something other than my hands. I'll take off my belt/ shirt and use that if nothing else is available.
Hands on only; and then three staff minimum, with only 4
authorized takedowns. Face up no torso contact; arms and legs only.
Lots of staff get hurt.


Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.