DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 657
4 members and 653 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
ACLU: VSP Monitoring Your Political Activities
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

ACLU: VSP Monitoring Your Political Activities - October 10, 2013, 11:14 AM

Looks to be across the board, as both Obama and Palin campaign rallies were targeted.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/technology...-plate-readers

If the citizens of this nation ever wanted to take back control from the sociopathic leadership we are currently under, we would just die trying. We're on lockdown now. We don't need to talk anymore about that it's going to happen. It's happening now, folks. You're screwed, I'm screwed, we're all screwed.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Traction Control

October 10, 2013, 11:17 AM

What about that proves that they're using that data in any way?

Massive parking lots filled with cars is a good target for license plate readers because... it's a massive parking lot filled with cars

What are they supposed to be "tracking" with this data? Who ran this story? where did it come from?

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#3)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 10, 2013, 11:18 AM

You're on the internet, right? Guess what's happening right now...
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

October 10, 2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
What about that proves that they're using that data in any way?

Massive parking lots filled with cars is a good target for license plate readers because... it's a massive parking lot filled with cars

What are they supposed to be "tracking" with this data? Who ran this story? where did it come from?

I had a court appointment a few months ago. When I stepped out of my car, I noticed a white unmarked SUV slowly rolling through the lot. I waited a moment, and it was a license plate reader truck scanning plates.

Go figure.

I wonder how long it will be before they require you to scan your fingerprint before you enter the courthouse.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Traction Control

October 10, 2013, 11:58 AM

I'm betting it's being used for finding expired registration to fine people, or find stolen cars / fake license plates

scanners just make it faster / easier than typing it in their computers

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
Unread
  (#6)
Parkin lot pimpin'

October 10, 2013, 12:30 PM

Cops stay doing this. It happens all the time around here because people steal license plates to put on their own cars and these plate readers catch it. Buddy is a cop, loves writing tickets for people who do that. Or if their tags are dead.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

October 10, 2013, 12:53 PM

Let me explain something to you guys. Every surveillance program, data collection, and data curation scheme is ushered in with seemingly benign and possibly even useful purposes. However, with the accurate linkage with individual metadata (location, nature of event attended, time arrived, time departed, route taken, etc.), the sky is the limit for when, how, and how badly a person or people in authority want to fuck you up. It is a short-circuiting of due process and a glaringly obvious violation of privacy.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#8)
Blah, Blah, and Blah

October 10, 2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Let me explain something to you guys. Every surveillance program, data collection, and data curation scheme is ushered in with seemingly benign and possibly even useful purposes. However, with the accurate linkage with individual metadata (location, nature of event attended, time arrived, time departed, route taken, etc.), the sky is the limit for when, how, and how badly a person or people in authority want to fuck you up. It is a short-circuiting of due process and a glaringly obvious violation of privacy.
I agree.

Run it and dump it should be the policy.
Unread
  (#9)
Traction Control

October 10, 2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoSJ3 View Post
Cops stay doing this. It happens all the time around here because people steal license plates to put on their own cars and these plate readers catch it. Buddy is a cop, loves writing tickets for people who do that. Or if their tags are dead.
I was dead on

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
Unread
  (#10)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 10, 2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Yes, so we should have appropriate oversight over those programs, a vigilant media, and non-profits like the ACLU, so cases such as this can be scrutinized and corrections made, as was the case here.

Last edited by big_sur; October 10, 2013 at 01:08 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Olde Pfart (tm)

October 10, 2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Yes, so we should have appropriate oversight over those programs, a vigilant media, and non-profits like the ACLU, so cases such as this can be scrutinized and corrections made, as was the case here.
It also requires term limits for elected officials (ideally that you can only serve non-consecutive terms and have to go back home for the equivalent of the term you just served before running for any election) and no immunity of any kind when you are not in office as well as no super-special "retirement" plans, etc. Until we get rid of the current "ruling class" we will never be able to truly get control of this crap.

"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin

Every politician should serve two terms... one in office followed immediately by an equal or longer-length one in jail... except in New Jersey where jail time is a pre-requisite to holding office.

Donkeys and Elephants belong in a zoo, not Congress.

#include <wit.h>
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Darth Piper  
Unread
  (#12)
Eddie would go ...

October 10, 2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#13)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 10, 2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Piper View Post
It also requires term limits for elected officials (ideally that you can only serve non-consecutive terms and have to go back home for the equivalent of the term you just served before running for any election) and no immunity of any kind when you are not in office as well as no super-special "retirement" plans, etc. Until we get rid of the current "ruling class" we will never be able to truly get control of this crap.
I wasn't aware any of that came into play in this particular instance, or if it did, it didn't have much impact in the way of obstructing what needed to happen. This is a non-story, things worked as they should. There's no argument to be made here. I was pointing out things that contributed to the satisfactory resolution. How did you segue that into a comment about the "ruling class"?
Unread
  (#14)
Derpentine Dealer

October 10, 2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Attack ad hominem and marginalize everyone who resists the dominant liberal paradigm.

Unread
  (#15)
Blah, Blah, and Blah

October 10, 2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
I wasn't aware any of that came into play in this particular instance, or if it did, it didn't have much impact in the way of obstructing what needed to happen. This is a non-story, things worked as they should. There's no argument to be made here. I was pointing out things that contributed to the satisfactory resolution. How did you segue that into a comment about the "ruling class"?
How is this a non-story?

If they hadn't been caught, they'd still be doing it today.