DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
2 members and 532 guests
drz1050, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Action park NJ (aka Accident Park)
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Action park NJ (aka Accident Park) - April 23, 2012, 02:02 PM

Did anyone here ever visit this park. Also known as Accident park?

Holy fuck was this place cool. No care for safety, just create rides that seem badass.

lol

Remembering Action Park | The DoD3: coasters, carnivals and more!

weirdnj.com - ACTION PARK

Quote:
LL I REMEMBER WAS BLOOD
Most kids growing up know of at least one person who died in a car accident. But, if you grew up where I did, you know of at least one person who was seriously injured at Action Park.

When you entered Action Park, there were three things that immediately got your attention. The first was the Alpine Slide, one of the only non-water rides in the park. You'd get on a low plastic seat with wheels and a bar for "steering." Then, they'd put you on a long, cracked, downhill racetrack and send you on your way. No helmets. No brakes (none that worked anyway). No warnings about the fact that a misplaced hand could result in a chopped-off finger. No stopping the crazy kid behind you from smacking into the back of your head. What fun! They actually had the audacity to have a "slow" lane and a "fast" lane. They should have been called "injured" lane and "dead" lane.

Quote:
There was, however, a physics-defying ride that the park chose to keep open, one that I proudly experienced firsthand. It was a cluster of four or five short, fast water slides that ended by shooting you out into a lake. Various kids would fly out at various times, landing on each other or on some misplaced sharp rock. One of these vigorous "shoots" was particularly intriguing, as it would suck you in and then immediately make an abrupt 90 degree turn. Not a 45 degree turn. Not even a nice, slow, smooth, curvy 90 degree turn. No. It would literally slam you into a wall and toss you in a different direction and then project your young, gnarled body into a gooey pond of crying kids and water snakes. It was awesome.

Quote:
My most personally terrifying experience came on a slide called the “Cannonball.” When I went on this slide, I was at the top of a hill. It seemed normal. There was no warning that halfway down the ride I would be shot into a pitch black tube. This was incredibly daunting. It became even worse when the tube opened back up only when it emerged sticking out from the face of a cliff. This slide sent unsuspecting riders shooting out of a cliff face some two stories above the water with absolutely no warning. It was just high enough that you had time to think and panic about your situation. Rider after rider, myself included, would scream in terror before hitting the surface of the slimy green water with a sickening slap. After this, the victims of the ride would gather at the edge of the pool to watch others suffer the same fate. It was like all the victims of a car wreck gathering at Dead Man’s Curve to watch the next car smash into the median.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
The accidents were another story I was there when the guy drowned in the wave pool. I just missed the electricution at the kayak ride. I cant even begin to remember all the injuries. Not to mention all the security problems... Drunks....thefts....cars broken into....fights...near riots at times. On a busy sunday in the action park hayday you would get 18 to 20 thousand people there. How can I be sure?? Because every hour admissions would announce the "Q" on the radio. Man I could go on for hours.

electrocution?? hahaha

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 02:11 PM

omg, why did i NOT know about this place..ahha

Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The sleds themselves were a large factor in the injuries. A stick that was supposed to control speed led, in practice, to just two options on the infrequently maintained vehicles: extremely slow, and a speed described by one former employee as "death awaits."[6]

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 02:13 PM

fak!!!

Quote:
Tank Ride: This was one of the most popular rides at Motorworld, and it was featured prominently in the television ads. In a chainlink fence-enclosed area, small tanks could be driven around, for a fee, for five minutes at a time, with tennis ball cannons that enabled riders to shoot at a sensor prominently mounted on each tank. If hit, the tank stopped operating for 15 seconds, while other tankers often took advantage of the delay to pepper the stricken vehicle with more fire. Visitors on the outside could also join in the fun through less costly cannons mounted on the inside of the fence. When workers had to enter the cage to attend to a stuck or crashed tank, which usually happened several times a day, they were often pelted with tennis balls from every direction despite prohibitions against such behavior that could result in expulsion from the park. This gave the tank ride a reputation for being more dangerous for the employees than the patrons,[13] making it the least popular place to work in the park. It is not known if there were any serious injuries from the tank ride. As of 2009, the area has not been redeveloped and only a vacant lot remains.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 02:18 PM

fuck yeah!

Quote:
Aqua Scoot: The Aqua Scoot was a ride where the patron was placed on a solid plastic sled and pushed down a steep slide made of assembly line rollers. It led into a very shallow pool which was no more than a few inches deep, where the idea was that the sled would allow the rider to skip across the water like a skipping stone. Riders were expected to hold themselves in an upright and centered position while their sled descended; otherwise, the patrons risked injury. The most common injury on the Aqua Scoot was head lacerations, often the result of the riders' not remaining centered on their raft and being flung face-first into the shallow water. Other injuries were caused by riders crashing into each other either on the way down or the way off the ride.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 23, 2012, 02:44 PM

Yep, one of my good childhood friends died a few hours after sustaining a chest injury at Action Park, dont remember what ride it was all i know is that he got hurt and then died at the hospital later. (internal bleeding and something with his heart if I remember correctly)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

April 23, 2012, 02:45 PM

If you grew up in the Tri-state, then you definitely knew about "Ambulance Park" and the number of injuries that come out of that place. There were only 4 places you could go - Great Adventure, Adventureland, Coney Island, and Action Park and Action advertised heavily and pro ported to be fun for kids and adults alike.

Despite the litany of ill fated injuries and dodegy engineering and safety, they seem to be nullified from being all but shut down by the indemnification and 'at your own risk' language on the ticket and signage throughout the park.

If ever a low rate mob crew owned an amusement park, Action Park would be the one.

The Alpine slide is notorious for being a revenue generator for the skin graft industry.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; April 23, 2012 at 02:49 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 02:46 PM

probably the slides..

did you visit that place? holy crap does it sound awesome..

Quote:
Our favorite was called "the Box." Patrons would come in to FA with abrasions (sometimes head-to-toe) from the Alpine Slide. Picture rugburn at 40 mph. In the infinite wisdom of our vocationally trained management, the best treatment for this injury was a spray called tincture of thimerisol (a combination of iodine and mercury, but hey, what don't kill ya [right away] only makes ya stronga). This stuff burned like the goddamn bejayzus, or so I was told by everyone who received it. It burned so bad, people ran around FA, sometimes screaming, often running out the doors into the GS lot.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
If you grew up in the Tri-state, then you definitely knew about "Ambulance Park" and the number of injuries that come out of that place. There were only 4 places you could go - Great Adventure, Adventureland, Coney Island, and Action Park.

Despite the litany of ill fated injuries and dodegy engineering and safety, they seem to be nullified from being all but shut down by the indemnification and 'at your own risk' language on the ticket and signage throughout the park.

The Alpine slide is notorious for being a revenue generator for the skin graft industry.
the blogs and message boards lead me to believe numerous movies have been made from stories for former employees that worked there. Its like porkeys revenge, animal house, and caddyshack all rolled into one..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

April 23, 2012, 02:55 PM

this is odd and off topic...but im highly interested in carnival ride/amusement ride deaths pics an videos...

i know it seems weird BUT ive had numerous dreams where i die and get close to dying on rides...which i believe will be my fate one day (prob something lame like a ferris wheel) but its crazy how ALOT of places dont report them

i was in wildwood the day the feet hanging coaster was opened (92?) i was on the 4th or 5th ride to go through....we were still on the boardwalk and heard screams....apparently a mechanic was working on the water ride underneath and left his truck parked under the hill of the coaster....mostly everyone had broke legs shins and ankles...

i also got to see the after math of miscalculated bungie jumps there...

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 03:03 PM

cool!

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 03:27 PM

awesomesauce!

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#13)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

April 23, 2012, 03:31 PM

shit...its closed down......

LOL...guess i gotta get to NZ before they shut those little rider carts down!

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#14)
2 wheels for life

April 23, 2012, 03:47 PM

f that!

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

April 23, 2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
f that!
pussy!

Alex
13 Honda Fury