DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 283
4 members and 279 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
AG Sessions: Curtail Civil Investigations of Police + Inc. Private Prisons
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

AG Sessions: Curtail Civil Investigations of Police + Inc. Private Prisons - February 28, 2017, 07:41 PM

Un-fucking-believable.

After decades of clearly demonstrable facts and figures, reports and cases that certain police departments were running rough shod if not outright violating the civil rights of certain targeted citizen populations, and the private prison industry had grown in a industry that sought to increase their profits, through increasing the body count, by lobbying for more criminalization codes and increasing the penalty of existing statutes to felony status, for the sake of ensnaring more people in prison - this gentlemen thinks "nothing is wrong - let's roll it back to the way it used to be."

Christ almighty ....

Donald Trump's attorney general said Tuesday the Justice Department will limit its use of a tactic employed aggressively under President Obama — suing police departments for violating the civil rights of minorities.

AG Sessions Says DOJ to 'Pull Back' on Police Department Civil Rights Suits - NBC News

And MJ users, the good times are about to end because "Daddy Government" says you can't have that naturally occurring species of plant.

Jeff Sessions Issues Ominous Warning On State Marijuana Legalization
Jeff Sessions Issues Ominous Warning On State Marijuana Legalization | The Huffington Post

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

March 1, 2017, 06:49 AM

If you watched any of the SOTU, you would see that the President was wanted to forum coalitions between communities and law enforcement.

I suspect this might be a symbolic effort to reverse the trend of a fairly anti-LEO stance of the previous administration.

I have less of an issue with private prisons as the private sector, almost universally the case, does it cheaper.

I do not, however, think we need to be filling these prisons up with a bunch of low rent drug dealers and padding their pockets that way. I would like to see some revisions in the criminal justice system.

As is usually the case, technology will provide solutions. Body cameras and other recordation devices are going to dismantle the "blue shield" that has allowed some police officers to act with lawlessness and impunity.

It it time to start talking about the uptick in the violence rate in this country, the general lawlessness, the lack of respect for law enforcement officers of all types, and the burgeoning murder rate over the last several years.

The several instances of persons killed by law enforcement officers last year were horrific. More than a few of them turned out to be justified uses of force and not "justifiable" solely in the eyes of the officer. Those handful of persons that were killed by officers that have no business carrying a gun (i.e. untrained and ill prepared for the job) or those individuals that were killed by murderous thug officers that attempted to conceal their crimes, represent such and infinitesimally small drop in the bucket with regards to the larger murder rate.

If we really care about the kids and the next generation of youth that is coming up, shouldn't some of the same fervor and effort be directed at that problem?

I mean...you are more likely to get shot and killed in Chicago than you were serving in the military in Iraq. That is flipping disastrous and just wait until we have a hot summer and see what happens.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Fast Lane Racing

March 1, 2017, 12:08 PM

You should read up on private prisons and how fucked up they are. It's one of the worst parts of our justice system. The more prisoners the more $ they make. Their SOP is to keep inmates in prison.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Triumph-ant

March 1, 2017, 12:25 PM

Once you're out of the pen it's nearly impossible to get a job and to open your own business. You're also forced to pay for your housing after you're out. So if you don't make a payment back to jail you go. It's not surprising that many become re-offenders since there are no other means of sustainability.

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

March 1, 2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
You should read up on private prisons and how fucked up they are. It's one of the worst parts of our justice system. The more prisoners the more $ they make. Their SOP is to keep inmates in prison.
This x 100.
CCA, a private prison company, was one of the largest corporate donors to Florida's Governor's campaign.
YSI was kicked out of a state because of their abuses.

Private prison corporations are a perverse system filled with adverse risk and moral hazard. The very business model dictates states guarantee that they pay for 90-99% of available capacity, which gives states the incentive to lock up more people.

At the same time, the corporations, like any profit seeking enterprise, attempt to minimize costs by under-funding and under-staffing their facilities.

This is not what an advanced and just society uses prisons for. The notion of a private prison for citizens should be abolished and banned unconditionally.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
Meh

March 1, 2017, 02:33 PM

Are you guys under the misguided impression that Federal or State run prisons "respect" your rights? I am guessing that nobody here is commenting from the standpoint of having done a stint.

I have no love lost for private prisons if they don't meet minimum standards are aren't subject to the same inspections and validations across the board.

What this world needs less of is government employees.
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

March 1, 2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Are you guys under the misguided impression that Federal or State run prisons "respect" your rights? I am guessing that nobody here is commenting from the standpoint of having done a stint. I have no love lost for private prisons if they don't meet minimum standards are aren't subject to the same inspections and validations across the board. What this world needs less of is government employees.
Privatizing prisons, especially through public company financing, sets in place a disastrously perverse intersection. There is far too much opportunity, and really the only tools for a business like this, for management to use morally bankrupt means & measures to meet analyst targets, shareholder demands for greater returns, and officer bonus targets once the system is streamlined and operating as efficiently as guidelines allow.
The motives are clear. This is a for profit enterprise. I've never seen a CoreCivics or YSI discuss reform or education, recidivism lowering vs. raising profitability targets.

Once a contract is executed, the only way to make more money is by imprisoning more people -or- cutting costs. And for most companies the highest ongoing variable input costs is labor & insurance, followed by goods & services.

I'll Post script this by saying that there are many people who deserve to be in prison. There are many people never deserve to breathe free air and feel the warm sun on their skin ever again. But there are also many people in prison who don't need to be in prison - should not be in prison - and are in prison because of chickenshit policies & laws or because they were on the wrong side of the socio-economic scale (I.e. "One Law, Two Systems" ).

BTW - I've done a short 1 week push in PG Co. Corrections. I've written about the circumstances here a few years back.

Last edited by Heist; March 1, 2017 at 03:07 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

March 1, 2017, 06:31 PM

I think the criminal justice reform is the more pressing and bigger picture issue here. Get that resolved and if you want to get further down in the minutia with the prison system, so be it.

I don't want to see more federal workers so if you want to handle that on the state side of things and make sure that union negotiated contracts and benefits are commiserate with the private sector equivalents, so be it.

A week in local is certainly not fun, but not exactly what I was talking about either.
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

March 1, 2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
I think the criminal justice reform is the more pressing and bigger picture issue here. Get that resolved and if you want to get further down in the minutia with the prison system, so be it.
I couldn't agree more, however, it's difficult to reform the system without first cutting the cancers out or at least installing policy, however temporary, that prevents furtherance of the abuses while the reform policy and strategy is being crafted and implemented.

Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

March 2, 2017, 12:26 PM

Turning out to be a bad week for Comrade Sessions.

Unread
  (#11)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

March 2, 2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Turning out to be a bad week for Comrade Sessions.
so what do you think....

He forgot about meetings with the comrades?

just plain lied for no reason?

what?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

March 2, 2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
so what do you think.... He forgot about meetings with the comrades? just plain lied for no reason? what?
Lied.
He knew anything or anyone with a non-explainable attachment or meetings with Russian nationals - especially Russian government officials - was going to receive much deeper investigation and questioning.

The difference between a plaque cleaning and a root canal.

He says the meetings he did not mention during the confirmation investigation / hearing were part of his official duty. However no member from the Senate Arms committee has ever had an official reason to meet with the Russian Ambassador.

Unread
  (#13)
I'm a llama again!

March 3, 2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
Yeah, they are monetizing humans, it is disgusting.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.

Last edited by Slider; March 3, 2017 at 10:54 AM..