DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 598
5 members and 593 guests
2blueyam, beatle, cicirich, tonetone, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Air Duct Cleaning: Did I Just Get Scammed?
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Air Duct Cleaning: Did I Just Get Scammed? - July 1, 2013, 02:18 PM

I am going to have my heat pump and handler replaced in the next 7-10 days. In anticipation of this I bought a basic air duct cleaning deal on GroupOn.

The crew arrived late which put me behind schedule. I had to leave and asked a neighbor to watch over the condo until I returned.

I left in the middle of their inspection and as expected the upsell on the phone was almost immediate - "We found mold & bacteria. We want to do a treatment, blah blah blah. $520 - I'll give you a special today for $300." I took a pass.

Even if you have an expensive electrostactic filtering system, facts are we all have a bit of mold in our systems and near evaporators. I shoot a few cans of antibacterial into the return and registers twice a year to keep it at bay.

Neighbor reported that they came with 100ft of hose put a large industrial vaccuum outside then ran the hose inside the condo. One register was opened in one of the rear bedrooms and she said they only went down this line (my trunk line) with what looked like a fabric brush nozzle attachment of a home vacuum cleaner.

10-15 minutes later they packed up and left. Is this normal for a single level unit?

I can't check their work until later, but I'm confused as to how they got the entire line as the air handler essentially sits in a mechanical closet near the kitchen which is in the middle of the condo. Kitchen, dining, and living room are one side of the kitchen - bedrooms and study on the other. And the branch lines leading off the trunk and the other individual registers were never touched or opened.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; July 1, 2013 at 02:21 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SIN MC President

July 1, 2013, 02:34 PM

fuck are you serious?! I think my wife got that same GroupOn...

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Mojito Anyone?

July 1, 2013, 02:37 PM

my condo is a 3 level and we had someone come in late fall. They closed all the vents in the place and hooked up some same machine on the lower level vent..let that run for about 15 minutes..

then took that same machine and went upstairs to the laundry room.. Hooked the vac up to the dryer port in the wall.. vac'd that our too for another 15 minutes.. took his little brush tool in there and went to town..

Took about an hour or so for them to do everything they did.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

July 1, 2013, 02:39 PM

Duct cleaning is the biggest scam since automatic transmission flushes.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
Owner of the Site Owner

July 1, 2013, 02:42 PM

i got pwned with a groupon - they came for 10 minutes said the did their work "cleaned" my vents my ass.

called them back and said thats what/how they do. i went back and did a one over myself with a shop vac and got more shit out.

complained but never heard anything back after a few calls.

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 1, 2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
This!

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#7)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

July 1, 2013, 05:01 PM

When I had my HVAC installed last month the neighbor insisted I should have my ducts cleaned. I took off a couple of the large returns and didn't see a whole lot. When the AC guy was installing my full system I got a look into the main return. Not a whole lot.

I asked the A/C installer about duct cleaning he said he's only ever seen a hand full of homes that needed a duct cleaning. House full of cats, smoker, no filters in place, etc.

According to him, if you keep your filters clean it shouldn't be necessary. I've been here 28 years, bought this place new. Always kept up w/ the filters.

Last edited by morsetaper2; July 1, 2013 at 05:04 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

July 1, 2013, 05:05 PM

I'm diligent about filter replacement. I may not do four a year, but two or three is common depending on how much I run the system.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#9)
Meh

July 1, 2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Except that they do work....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I'm diligent about filter replacement. I may not do four a year, but two or three is common depending on how much I run the system.
Depends on the home, occupants, age, and duct system type.

All that being said, it takes a bit longer than 20 minutes to do it properly on any home.
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

July 1, 2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I am going to have my heat pump and handler replaced in the next 7-10 days. In anticipation of this I bought a basic air duct cleaning deal on GroupOn.

The crew arrived late which put me behind schedule. I had to leave and asked a neighbor to watch over the condo until I returned.

I left in the middle of their inspection and as expected the upsell on the phone was almost immediate - "We found mold & bacteria. We want to do a treatment, blah blah blah. $520 - I'll give you a special today for $300." I took a pass.

Even if you have an expensive electrostactic filtering system, facts are we all have a bit of mold in our systems and near evaporators. I shoot a few cans of antibacterial into the return and registers twice a year to keep it at bay.

Neighbor reported that they came with 100ft of hose put a large industrial vaccuum outside then ran the hose inside the condo. One register was opened in one of the rear bedrooms and she said they only went down this line (my trunk line) with what looked like a fabric brush nozzle attachment of a home vacuum cleaner.

10-15 minutes later they packed up and left. Is this normal for a single level unit?

I can't check their work until later, but I'm confused as to how they got the entire line as the air handler essentially sits in a mechanical closet near the kitchen which is in the middle of the condo. Kitchen, dining, and living room are one side of the kitchen - bedrooms and study on the other. And the branch lines leading off the trunk and the other individual registers were never touched or opened.

Dang. Why is this so common all of a sudden???? We had a basic duct cleaning done for like $40-$50, and they tried to upsell us on a "mold" cleaning.

I personally have a washable/reusable filter on my system I clean at least every 6 months.

Just fish a really long rope through your system. Use RC Car as needed. Tie huge brush/towell/whatever on one end. Apply cleaning solution. Pull from the other end. Problem solved.
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

July 1, 2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Except that they do work....

Depends on the home, occupants, age, and duct system type.

All that being said, it takes a bit longer than 20 minutes to do it properly on any home.
20 minutes it definitely did not take.

Neighbor said they were in and out before his coffee even got cold. In fact it was so surprisingly quick he told he wondered if the sound of the vacuum running wasn't all a bit of theater.

Going to pop a register later tonight and see if can get my Iphone on an extension pole in there to shoot video.

Last edited by Heist; July 1, 2013 at 09:49 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
superdupernunu

July 1, 2013, 09:22 PM

As someone who has to deal with the "duct cleaning" requests on a professional level (I do sales for a commercial HVAC company that works within a ton of multifamily housing properties in the area)... I can tell you that this is generally viewed as the biggest scam in the game. I constantly have to deal with naive property managers and board presidents asking me for a bid to clean their main vertical exhaust fan ducts ( the 3' plus square ducts that run vertically down a building from the roof exhaust fans). Even if you know nothing about ducts you should know that there is NO REASON to need a cleaning of a 36" + wide STRAIGHT exhaust fan duct! Now, cleaning the individual registers and goose necks of duct within each bathroom/kitchen that leads to the main duct trunk- yes that's a good idea b/c that's where most of the debris/lint/dander collect thus reducing your apartment's exhaust air flow. But that is an example of the same type of ripoff on a giant level.... Claiming to clean something that either doesn't need cleaning or cannot be cleaned effectively no matter what!

It should take much longer than an hour to do that in a home because when we are asked to do so in a condo it takes us over an hour at times.
-hookup negative static hepa machine to lowest point of duct (if access into duct exists or customer allows cutting of one
-gain access to all branches of duct line and run an AGITATION machine throughout du t system to "scrub" dirt/dander/debris loose (which will then be sucked into the negative static machine that is running this while time and hooked to lowest part of duct)
-this same process can be done to both the return and supply lines but mainly your return line is the one that would have any issues since its pulling in air, PRIOR to a filter...your supply should be clean.
-each register needs to be taken off and cleaned and a further inspection of the duct system can occur once they are removed
-if someone tells you that you have mold - ask them how they detected it and if they are certified at remediating mold... I won't ever tell someone that they have it since I'm not certified to say so but I can tell them that to me ( an untrained individual) it appears to look like mold.

I HATE dealing with duct cleaning requests b/c most of the time I am wasting my time trying to convince the client NOT to get it done but its nearly impossible convincing a manager whose boss is a condo board, that something they've been ordered to seek out pricing for every year over the past decade is bullshit. It's a lot easier to just say that we aren't able to accommodate their timeline at this particular time if they refuse to listen. I am surprised at the # of companies that oblige to clean that shaft even though there is no real way whatsoever to properly complete that task without filling the duct with a crew of Umpa-Loompa's wearing scrub brushes on their hands and feet!

Change your filters every quarter or 6 months depending on your living conditions. Do a bi-annual PM and cleaning of your sir handler/furnace/etc... And make sure all debris is cleared from the drain pan prior to summer cooling season along with doing a coil cleaning, dropping algae code tabs prior to summer season, function check of all equipment and features.

Just stay proactive and you,ll save tons in the end!!

let's f*cking rage!

Last edited by sasha00311; July 1, 2013 at 09:25 PM..
Re: Air Duct Cleaning: Did I Just Get Scammed?
Unread
  (#13)
Im Always Down to Ride

Re: Air Duct Cleaning: Did I Just Get Scammed? - July 1, 2013, 09:27 PM

Sorry everyone had a bad experience but the guys who came and did mine off groupon did a great job. They went through each vent and sucked out old crap. I had it done because we had no clue about the previous owners. They sucked all kind of shit out...toys/crayons..etc. then they ran a big circular brush down from the return on the third floor to the basement. Immediately started cooling the house better and smelt a lot cleaner.

For $50 + extra 75 for the mold stuff(wife of course wanted this so she had it done), I can't complain. The main job was $50 and they cleaned like hell.

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

July 1, 2013, 09:39 PM

Suspicions confirmed. Screen captures from the video I just shot. First shot is the register they went in in the guest Bedroom. It is an acceptable level of clean although it's a guest bedroom, so I have no idea how dirty it was to start. This may be the condition it was as is and never touched.

Second and third shots are the Kitchen register. Not even close to being cleaned! What I find additionally irksome is that Kitchen vent is 10ft from the air handler closet and on the trunk line. You cannot miss it unless you were blind or simply had no intention of cleaning and chose to ignore it.

Needless to say Mountain Air will receive a call from me tomorrow as will GroupOn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3028608658.jpg (432.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg image-3060259018.jpg (410.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg image-3326326932.jpg (400.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Heist; July 1, 2013 at 09:49 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 1, 2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
wait I shouldn't flush my transmission fluid?

2005 R6 Raven
2007 DRZ400SM