DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 539
0 members and 539 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Akira (anime) Is Finally Getting Made Into A Live Action Movie
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Akira (anime) Is Finally Getting Made Into A Live Action Movie - February 10, 2010, 10:35 PM

Looks like the Hughes Brothers (Book of Eli, Menace 2 Society, Dead Presidents) got the nod to do it.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/hu...-eli-to-akira/
Quote:
Warner Bros is in talks with filmmakers Allen and Albert Hughes to direct Akira, a live action version of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel. The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. Andrew Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran. Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby and Book of Eli scribe Gary Whitta wrote a script which originally had Ruairi Robinson aboard to direct.

The Hughes Brothers' last graphic novel adaptation was the Johnny Depp film From Hell. The brothers are hot again after returning from a 9-year layoff as a directing team for Alcon Entertainment's The Book of Eli, the post-apocalyptic drama distributed by Warner Bros that has drafted behind Avatar over the past 4 weeks to turn in a respectable $83 million domestic gross.

Akira has been one of Warner Bros' high priority projects since the studio with Legendary Pictures acquired it for a 7-figure sum 2 years ago from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has always been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Instructor

February 10, 2010, 10:59 PM

This isn't going to end well. Certain movies just can't be translated into live action and Akira is topping that list.

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

February 10, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storysunfolding View Post
This isn't going to end well. Certain movies just can't be translated into live action and Akira is topping that list.
I think computer animation and CG has progressed enough to make it feaseable given the proper budget.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

February 11, 2010, 12:01 AM

I don't think so.. Be ready to be sorely disappointed!

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#5)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

June 23, 2010, 08:59 AM

Booooooooooo

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/06/...a-being-pg-13/

Albert Hughes Talks About the Live-Action 'Akira' Being PG-13

June 23, 2010
Source: Film School Rejects
by Alex Billington
It was announced in February that brothers Allen and Albert Hughes, who directed The Book of Eli and [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]From [COLOR=#006400 !important]Hell
[/COLOR][/COLOR] before that, had been hired by Warner Bros to direct their upcoming adaptation of the Japanese manga Akira. It took quite a while, but someone finally caught up with Albert Hughes (solo this time) and asked him about Akira and his plans for that project. The quotes come from an interview the Kevin & Josh Movie Show (found via Film School Rejects) had with Albert. He talks briefly about WB's "mandate" to make the movie PG-13 as well as its current status. It's not all good news but it's definitely not all bad news either.
It starts when they ask if he's "going to make Akira [rated] R, right?" His answer: "You would think… The first thing they said to me is that its got to be PG-13. I said, okay well I'll look at that as a challenge or a hindrance." That means instead of complaining, he's going to figure out where the boundaries are with the rating system so they can be edgy and still be PG-13. Hughes references The [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]Dark [COLOR=#006400 !important]Knight[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and says there are "subversive things" he can do to make it feel like an [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]rated-R[/COLOR][/COLOR] movie. "I like challenges," he adds. "The one thing about Akira, the manga, they've been around a couple of years doing the script… And it's a hard nut to crack because there's so many heavy themes." Which is was hoping that it would've been cracked by now.
As for his approach to it, well, this statement might upset fans: "The trick for me is to simply everything for the audience, because you can't come in with that complexity." That's all he said about its story, but I think he's just saying there's no way he can retain the complex themes of the manga, but will still try and keep the audience interested. The story is still being split in two, as Hughes confirms: "The first movie is going to be a two-part movie anyway." But, oddly, he might only direct the first movie. "Nah, I'm not into sequels, so I don't even know if I'm going to be around for the sequel," he says. "I'm going to focus on the first [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]movie[/COLOR][/COLOR] and get that right and they can talk about [that] later… I don't know if I would do [it] though."
Whoa, wait a minute. I understand there's no need to bring him back for a [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]sequel[/COLOR][/COLOR], but if this is supposed to be a two-part movie telling one long story, shouldn't they use the same director for both? As for its status, Hughes says right now it's about "getting the script right" and creating a "look book," which involves tonally setting the way the movie looks and feels, from characters to vehicles. He'll then present that with the next draft of the script, which will be ready in September, then "we'll see where we're at." He doesn't sound too optimistic and I'm not either, but I'm still hoping for the best, because I really don't want to see a bad movie.
Speaking of writers, in a recent interview with producer Andrew Lazar, Collider learned that they've hired a new writer to work on the Akira [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]screenplay[/COLOR][/COLOR] - Albert Torres, whose only previously credit is the Luke Wilson indie Henry Poole Is Here, but he's also writing the feature version of the 2005 [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]documentary[/COLOR][/COLOR] Murderball. Other than that, we'll be waiting to hear more about Akira, including (hopefully) an update this September.

Read more: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/06/...#ixzz0rgVRLXiz
[/COLOR]

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#6)
Banned

June 23, 2010, 02:40 PM

they're making it pg-13?! I didn't have high hopes for this movie to begin with but wow it's really going to suck.....
Unread
  (#7)
I'm a secksy boi!

June 23, 2010, 05:45 PM

that, i can live with. what i CAN'T live with is, "The trick for me is to [simplify] everything for the audience, because you can't come in with that complexity." Are you kidding me? Make it for what it is. If people don't understand, then they're dumb.

Plus, how do you say that it needs two parts, but are voicing that you won't do the sequel?

I am not watching this film. Leave it to Hollywood to f' things up.

'06 GSX-R600
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to dwnWrob Send a message via AIM to dwnWrob  
Unread
  (#8)
SIN MC President

June 23, 2010, 09:56 PM

Honestly I think the visuals are going to be impressive.. and let's be real: Who actually "got it" the first time they watched this movie? Not me. I was pretty confused of the whole plot myself when it first came out.. So they're gonna have to be careful to not "spoon feed" the audience too much on the whole plot, or else it'll suck.

I have my doubts, but still hopeful.

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC