DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 578
4 members and 574 guests
GRN96WS6, hokie, HotRod1200, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Alternative Heating Fuel - HELP.
Unread
  (#1)
Tough guy
 
CamDLux's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,463
Join Date: May 13, 2007
Location: Leesburg
Alternative Heating Fuel - HELP. - November 7, 2007, 07:57 AM

My home is currently heated with Propane. Amerigas owns me and my 1000 gal. tank. I was recently quoted $3.79 per gal. that is $3032 to 80% of my tank. I'll need to do that twice!

I am considering a pellet or corn burning furnace. Does anyone have any experience, recommendation, or suggestions?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Lucky to be alive.
 
ProDarwin's Avatar
 
Posts: 227
Join Date: September 6, 2007
Location: Sterling
November 7, 2007, 08:09 AM

Wood stove!

Or Waste oil burner for your garage.


Travis
1995 YZF 600 R
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ProDarwin  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here
 
Madali's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,108
Join Date: February 20, 2003
Location: Potomac Station Leesburg
November 7, 2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux
My home is currently heated with Propane. Amerigas owns me and my 1000 gal. tank. I was recently quoted $3.79 per gal. that is $3032 to 80% of my tank. I'll need to do that twice!

I am considering a pellet or corn burning furnace. Does anyone have any experience, recommendation, or suggestions?
Wouldn't happen to be in Courtland Farms would it?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Banned!
 
Posts: 3,656
Join Date: July 21, 2003
November 7, 2007, 10:18 AM

damn man...thats expensive...is that normal?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Asstastic
 
#452-LE's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,929
Join Date: August 26, 2007
Location: NoVA
November 7, 2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux
My home is currently heated with Propane. Amerigas owns me and my 1000 gal. tank. I was recently quoted $3.79 per gal. that is $3032 to 80% of my tank. I'll need to do that twice!

I am considering a pellet or corn burning furnace. Does anyone have any experience, recommendation, or suggestions?
Explore -hearth.com- this site gives you not only several options for thermal gain(heat) but also which fuel source gives the most BTU per measurement. Concider Hybrid systems/geothermal/hydro heat/condensing furnaces...just to name a few. Also, if you wish, send me a copy of your heating/ electric (cooling) bill and I can work out an X/Y cost pay-off calculation. (Initial cost vs. operating cost) All will be irreleavant if the proper sized heating system is not in place...according to a Manual-J engineering calculation.
-Mike


http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Nothing here
 
Madali's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,108
Join Date: February 20, 2003
Location: Potomac Station Leesburg
November 7, 2007, 10:36 AM

The reason I asked if it was Courtland Farms in Leesburg is because I recently built a house there. I have the same propane company and same size tank. They filled mine for a lot less than that. My wife paid it, but I think it was somewhere under $2,000 and expected to last approximately one year. I've been using it for more than a month and the meter still reads 80%.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Asstastic
 
#452-LE's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,929
Join Date: August 26, 2007
Location: NoVA
November 7, 2007, 10:43 AM

oooohhhh, failed to mention that I have a connection with SouthernStates LP.
Let me know if I may help, and no i do not financially benefit from this.


http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Banned!
 
Posts: 3,656
Join Date: July 21, 2003
November 7, 2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #452-LE
Explore -hearth.com- this site gives you not only several options for thermal gain(heat) but also which fuel source gives the most BTU per measurement. Concider Hybrid systems/geothermal/hydro heat/condensing furnaces...just to name a few. Also, if you wish, send me a copy of your heating/ electric (cooling) bill and I can work out an X/Y cost pay-off calculation. (Initial cost vs. operating cost) All will be irreleavant if the proper sized heating system is not in place...according to a Manual-J engineering calculation.
-Mike

mike is the man when it comes to this shit!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Mr. Glass
 
usman's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,883
Join Date: July 11, 2003
Location: Emerica
November 7, 2007, 10:59 AM

+1 to mike. he is the poster child for all this. Ive seen the proof


06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
________________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|*||__
|- TEAM MONSTER ENERGY -|*||'|";\,___.
|_..._..._by_Kawasaki______|*||_|_|...,]|
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Tough guy
 
CamDLux's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,463
Join Date: May 13, 2007
Location: Leesburg
November 7, 2007, 11:57 AM

I live off of Whites Ferry Rd in Big Springs. You can see the neighborhood directly off of rt 15. In the past I had always paid around $2.56 per gallon. I failed to lock in or fill up so...now I am at their mercy. If I buy the tank outright I can shop around and get the best price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
The reason I asked if it was Courtland Farms in Leesburg is because I recently built a house there. I have the same propane company and same size tank. They filled mine for a lot less than that. My wife paid it, but I think it was somewhere under $2,000 and expected to last approximately one year. I've been using it for more than a month and the meter still reads 80%.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
Tough guy
 
CamDLux's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,463
Join Date: May 13, 2007
Location: Leesburg
November 7, 2007, 11:58 AM

Mike,

You have PM. I could most definatley use your expertise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by #452-LE
Explore -hearth.com- this site gives you not only several options for thermal gain(heat) but also which fuel source gives the most BTU per measurement. Concider Hybrid systems/geothermal/hydro heat/condensing furnaces...just to name a few. Also, if you wish, send me a copy of your heating/ electric (cooling) bill and I can work out an X/Y cost pay-off calculation. (Initial cost vs. operating cost) All will be irreleavant if the proper sized heating system is not in place...according to a Manual-J engineering calculation.
-Mike
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
Tough guy
 
CamDLux's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,463
Join Date: May 13, 2007
Location: Leesburg
November 7, 2007, 12:02 PM

Last 2 years I have paid around $2.56 per gallon. I average 1400-1600 gallons per year (heat, cooking, hot water).
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrone
damn man...thats expensive...is that normal?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
Emm Teh
 
Michael.Terence's Avatar
 
Posts: 481
Join Date: April 15, 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
November 8, 2007, 09:12 AM

I spent 2,000 on propane last winter for heat... This winter I bought a Jotul woodburning stove insert for the house and throw a couple logs on it every 3-8 hours. This thing puts out 55,000 BTU an hour and literally heats my entire house. I've got a fan on in a room on my first floor, and a fan on in a room on the 2nd floor.

If you don't have a centerally located fireplace you can still put in a wood stove wherever and just have ducting run to it.

I did all the work myself (had some help with the lifting. stove weighed 450lbs) and it took about a day.

Pelet stoves are nice but I'm not sure what the BTU output is. I doubt it's near what the wood stove I have puts out because the fire area on them looks so small but like I said, I don't know for sure.

By this time next year my stove will have paid for itself, and by the end of next winter I'll be $1,000 in the green (I pay $60 for a truck load of wood).

http://www.jotul.us/

Insert I bought: http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulu...-450-Kennebec/

I had considered a vermont castings insert (catalytic model) but it was bigger and put off LESS heat.


-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
Tough guy
 
CamDLux's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,463
Join Date: May 13, 2007
Location: Leesburg
November 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

Good info. The pellet Furnace I am looking at puts out 112,000 BTU. It would duct into the current home duct work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Terence
I spent 2,000 on propane last winter for heat... This winter I bought a Jotul woodburning stove insert for the house and throw a couple logs on it every 3-8 hours. This thing puts out 55,000 BTU an hour and literally heats my entire house. I've got a fan on in a room on my first floor, and a fan on in a room on the 2nd floor.

If you don't have a centerally located fireplace you can still put in a wood stove wherever and just have ducting run to it.

I did all the work myself (had some help with the lifting. stove weighed 450lbs) and it took about a day.

Pelet stoves are nice but I'm not sure what the BTU output is. I doubt it's near what the wood stove I have puts out because the fire area on them looks so small but like I said, I don't know for sure.

By this time next year my stove will have paid for itself, and by the end of next winter I'll be $1,000 in the green (I pay $60 for a truck load of wood).

http://www.jotul.us/

Insert I bought: http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulu...-450-Kennebec/

I had considered a vermont castings insert (catalytic model) but it was bigger and put off LESS heat.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
Tough guy
 
CamDLux's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,463
Join Date: May 13, 2007
Location: Leesburg
November 8, 2007, 02:04 PM

Holy sh!t. Mike just came over and schooled me on saving lots o' money. IF anybody is considering a HVAC modifications - I highly recommend talking to #452-LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman
+1 to mike. he is the poster child for all this. Ive seen the proof
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.