DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 578
4 members and 574 guests
GRN96WS6, hokie, HotRod1200, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Alternative Heating Fuel - HELP.
Unread
  (#1)
Tough guy

Alternative Heating Fuel - HELP. - November 7, 2007, 07:57 AM

My home is currently heated with Propane. Amerigas owns me and my 1000 gal. tank. I was recently quoted $3.79 per gal. that is $3032 to 80% of my tank. I'll need to do that twice!

I am considering a pellet or corn burning furnace. Does anyone have any experience, recommendation, or suggestions?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#2)
Lucky to be alive.

November 7, 2007, 08:09 AM

Wood stove!

Or Waste oil burner for your garage.

Travis
1995 YZF 600 R
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ProDarwin  
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here

November 7, 2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux
My home is currently heated with Propane. Amerigas owns me and my 1000 gal. tank. I was recently quoted $3.79 per gal. that is $3032 to 80% of my tank. I'll need to do that twice!

I am considering a pellet or corn burning furnace. Does anyone have any experience, recommendation, or suggestions?
Wouldn't happen to be in Courtland Farms would it?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Banned!

November 7, 2007, 10:18 AM

damn man...thats expensive...is that normal?
Unread
  (#5)
Asstastic

November 7, 2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux

Explore -hearth.com- this site gives you not only several options for thermal gain(heat) but also which fuel source gives the most BTU per measurement. Concider Hybrid systems/geothermal/hydro heat/condensing furnaces...just to name a few. Also, if you wish, send me a copy of your heating/ electric (cooling) bill and I can work out an X/Y cost pay-off calculation. (Initial cost vs. operating cost) All will be irreleavant if the proper sized heating system is not in place...according to a Manual-J engineering calculation.
-Mike

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#6)
Nothing here

November 7, 2007, 10:36 AM

The reason I asked if it was Courtland Farms in Leesburg is because I recently built a house there. I have the same propane company and same size tank. They filled mine for a lot less than that. My wife paid it, but I think it was somewhere under $2,000 and expected to last approximately one year. I've been using it for more than a month and the meter still reads 80%.
Unread
  (#7)
Asstastic

November 7, 2007, 10:43 AM

oooohhhh, failed to mention that I have a connection with SouthernStates LP.
Let me know if I may help, and no i do not financially benefit from this.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#8)
Banned!

November 7, 2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #452-LE
Explore -hearth.com- this site gives you not only several options for thermal gain(heat) but also which fuel source gives the most BTU per measurement. Concider Hybrid systems/geothermal/hydro heat/condensing furnaces...just to name a few. Also, if you wish, send me a copy of your heating/ electric (cooling) bill and I can work out an X/Y cost pay-off calculation. (Initial cost vs. operating cost) All will be irreleavant if the proper sized heating system is not in place...according to a Manual-J engineering calculation.
-Mike

mike is the man when it comes to this shit!
Unread
  (#9)
Mr. Glass

November 7, 2007, 10:59 AM

+1 to mike. he is the poster child for all this. Ive seen the proof

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#10)
Tough guy

November 7, 2007, 11:57 AM

I live off of Whites Ferry Rd in Big Springs. You can see the neighborhood directly off of rt 15. In the past I had always paid around $2.56 per gallon. I failed to lock in or fill up so...now I am at their mercy. If I buy the tank outright I can shop around and get the best price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
The reason I asked if it was Courtland Farms in Leesburg is because I recently built a house there. I have the same propane company and same size tank. They filled mine for a lot less than that. My wife paid it, but I think it was somewhere under $2,000 and expected to last approximately one year. I've been using it for more than a month and the meter still reads 80%.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#11)
Tough guy

November 7, 2007, 11:58 AM

Mike,

You have PM. I could most definatley use your expertise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by #452-LE
-Mike
Unread
  (#12)
Tough guy

November 7, 2007, 12:02 PM

Last 2 years I have paid around $2.56 per gallon. I average 1400-1600 gallons per year (heat, cooking, hot water).
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrone
damn man...thats expensive...is that normal?
Unread
  (#13)
Emm Teh

November 8, 2007, 09:12 AM

I spent 2,000 on propane last winter for heat... This winter I bought a Jotul woodburning stove insert for the house and throw a couple logs on it every 3-8 hours. This thing puts out 55,000 BTU an hour and literally heats my entire house. I've got a fan on in a room on my first floor, and a fan on in a room on the 2nd floor.

If you don't have a centerally located fireplace you can still put in a wood stove wherever and just have ducting run to it.

I did all the work myself (had some help with the lifting. stove weighed 450lbs) and it took about a day.

Pelet stoves are nice but I'm not sure what the BTU output is. I doubt it's near what the wood stove I have puts out because the fire area on them looks so small but like I said, I don't know for sure.

By this time next year my stove will have paid for itself, and by the end of next winter I'll be $1,000 in the green (I pay $60 for a truck load of wood).

http://www.jotul.us/

Insert I bought: http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulu...-450-Kennebec/

I had considered a vermont castings insert (catalytic model) but it was bigger and put off LESS heat.

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#14)
Tough guy

November 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

Good info. The pellet Furnace I am looking at puts out 112,000 BTU. It would duct into the current home duct work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Terence
I spent 2,000 on propane last winter for heat... This winter I bought a Jotul woodburning stove insert for the house and throw a couple logs on it every 3-8 hours. This thing puts out 55,000 BTU an hour and literally heats my entire house. I've got a fan on in a room on my first floor, and a fan on in a room on the 2nd floor.

If you don't have a centerally located fireplace you can still put in a wood stove wherever and just have ducting run to it.

I did all the work myself (had some help with the lifting. stove weighed 450lbs) and it took about a day.

Pelet stoves are nice but I'm not sure what the BTU output is. I doubt it's near what the wood stove I have puts out because the fire area on them looks so small but like I said, I don't know for sure.

By this time next year my stove will have paid for itself, and by the end of next winter I'll be $1,000 in the green (I pay $60 for a truck load of wood).

http://www.jotul.us/

Insert I bought: http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulu...-450-Kennebec/

I had considered a vermont castings insert (catalytic model) but it was bigger and put off LESS heat.
Unread
  (#15)
Tough guy

November 8, 2007, 02:04 PM

Holy sh!t. Mike just came over and schooled me on saving lots o' money. IF anybody is considering a HVAC modifications - I highly recommend talking to #452-LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman
+1 to mike. he is the poster child for all this. Ive seen the proof