DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 552
4 members and 548 guests
GRN96WS6, HenryW, Slider, superchickencornermonster
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Alternative to spray paint
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Alternative to spray paint - March 14, 2012, 07:14 PM

Spray painting where I live isn't really an option.Is there a way to get a good finish with a paint brush.I saw a tutorial a while back with a guy who pulled it off,but I can't find it now.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

March 14, 2012, 07:35 PM

Rolling.

You can use foam rollers to put paint on and it comes out looking really nice. 75% rustoleum, 25% mineral spirits.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
starbucks ADV rider

March 14, 2012, 07:35 PM

Yes ive seen it done using a roller, it looked like a shitty paint job at the end
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

March 14, 2012, 07:53 PM

Where do you live? What are you trying to paint?
Find yourself an out the way public park on a Sunday or a trail, and have at it.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 14, 2012, 07:57 PM

Hot Rod Magazine did a whole article years ago and painted a whole car with brushed and rollers. Turned out like shit up close but ok from 50 feet away.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 15, 2012, 06:52 AM

Mask off/cover a complete room, paint, and when it's all said and done simply remove all the plastic and tape.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

March 15, 2012, 07:08 AM

It can be done, and it CAN get you a good result. The key is to use the correct paint, and do A LOT of handwork.

Urethane finishes have all of their "gloss" in the top layer, and do not "cross-link" coats (for the most part...there are some exceptions, but for this explanation, I don't want to get a bunch of "Ya, buts").

Older style Nitro and CAB lacquers (what your dad and I grew up with), do cross link coats, and the solids which give luster and shine are distributed throughout the finish, so buffing is possible. The key is to get as smooth a finish as possible and then hand sand between coats and then wet sand and buff the final coat. You will also have to add retarder (a chemical to slow down drying) or you'll end up dry-brushing the surface and making it too rough.

If you use oil-based paints, your going to have a lot of problems, as they are linseed oil-based stocks, are EXTREMELY (think DAYS) slow drying and do not hold up well under constant UV and moisture exposure.

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....

Last edited by otb; March 15, 2012 at 07:10 AM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to