DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
4 members and 559 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anderson Cooper: "The Fact Is, I'm Gay."
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Anderson Cooper: "The Fact Is, I'm Gay." - July 2, 2012, 02:19 PM

One of my favorite TV personalities... Anderson Cooper.

Anderson Cooper: "The Fact Is, I'm Gay." - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

Last week, Entertainment Weekly ran a story on an emerging trend: gay people in public life who come out in a much more restrained and matter-of-fact way than in the past. In many ways, it's a great development: we're evolved enough not to be gob-smacked when we find out someone's gay. But it does matter nonetheless, it seems to me, that this is on the record. We still have pastors calling for the death of gay people, bullying incidents and suicides among gay kids, and one major political party dedicated to ending the basic civil right to marry the person you love. So these "non-events" are still also events of a kind; and they matter. The visibility of gay people is one of the core means for our equality.

All of which is a prelude to my saying that I've known Anderson Cooper as a friend for more than two decades. I asked him for his feedback on this subject, for reasons that are probably obvious to most. Here's his email in response which he has given me permission to post here:

Andrew, as you know, the issue you raise is one that I've thought about for years. Even though my job puts me in the public eye, I have tried to maintain some level of privacy in my life. Part of that has been for purely personal reasons. I think most people want some privacy for themselves and the people they are close to.

But I've also wanted to retain some privacy for professional reasons. Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I've often found myself in some very dangerous places. For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other peopleís stories, and not my own. I have found that sometimes the less an interview subject knows about me, the better I can safely and effectively do my job as a journalist.

I've always believed that who a reporter votes for, what religion they are, who they love, should not be something they have to discuss publicly. As long as a journalist shows fairness and honesty in his or her work, their private life shouldn't matter. Iíve stuck to those principles for my entire professional career, even when Iíve been directly asked ďthe gay question,Ē which happens occasionally. I did not address my sexual orientation in the memoir I wrote several years ago because it was a book focused on war, disasters, loss and survival. I didn't set out to write about other aspects of my life.

Recently, however, Iíve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. Itís become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

Iíve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldnít be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. Iím not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

Since my early days as a reporter, I have worked hard to accurately and fairly portray gay and lesbian people in the media - and to fairly and accurately portray those who for whatever reason disapprove of them. It is not part of my job to push an agenda, but rather to be relentlessly honest in everything I see, say and do. Iíve never wanted to be any kind of reporter other than a good one, and I do not desire to promote any cause other than the truth.

Being a journalist, traveling to remote places, trying to understand people from all walks of life, telling their stories, has been the greatest joy of my professional career, and I hope to continue doing it for a long time to come. But while I feel very blessed to have had so many opportunities as a journalist, I am also blessed far beyond having a great career.

I love, and I am loved.

In my opinion, the ability to love another person is one of Godís greatest gifts, and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with the people in my life. I appreciate your asking me to weigh in on this, and I would be happy for you to share my thoughts with your readers. I still consider myself a reserved person and I hope this doesnít mean an end to a small amount of personal space. But I do think visibility is important, more important than preserving my reporterís shield of privacy.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

July 2, 2012, 02:20 PM

Wait did anyone really think he was straight?

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Knarly Adventurer

July 2, 2012, 02:39 PM

OMG! I can not believe it!

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Meh

July 2, 2012, 02:40 PM

Must need some ratings or bump in his stock.

Everyone knows he smuggles.
Unread
  (#5)
Elite Racing

July 2, 2012, 02:43 PM

Less about Anderson's sexual preference, more about the moral of the story.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 2, 2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
^^^^ Bingo.

not sue why America is so fascinated with who people sleep with, but I like him as a reporter and his humble style. His family is rich and he could have went a more prosperous less gritty job, but he chose to get to know people...humans in the real world. I was shock he mentioned it at all, and loved the way he just sent it to a message to a friend in a email vs. a rating or cash cow announcement like others have.

The dude is 1st class.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

July 2, 2012, 04:03 PM

I'd do him.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

July 2, 2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress
I'd do him.
+1

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

July 2, 2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
^

He said in completely in passing and very matter of factly, as the article was talking about. It's almost as if he was saying he was white or hungry (not to imply that being gay is a transient state that can be dealt with like hunger).
Unread
  (#10)
Ton Up!

July 2, 2012, 05:24 PM

"Bitch please"

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#11)
Derpetologist

July 2, 2012, 09:05 PM

I thought he came out a long time ago.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#12)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

July 2, 2012, 09:17 PM

OK, so a media guy is a fucking faggot. Whatever.

Is it now the cool and hip thing to be a fag? I can't stand fags that seem to have some sort of drum to beat. If your queer, fine, live your life, don't annoy those around you, and you won't get annoyed yourself.

As long as your habits don't infringe on mine we'll live in harmony. But really, nobody gives a crap... and I'm tired of reading about fags in the headlines as a diversion to the far bigger problems this country needs to deal with.

The bigger picture is the financial stability of this country. Focus on the bottom line not the gays on the sideline.

My editorial, you are free to comment...
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

July 2, 2012, 10:06 PM

This is new news?

Oh wait, this just in: Water is wet.

Anderson has been a well known homosexual for a decade now. He has a penchant for black men at that.

His mother is Gloria Vanderbilt - not saying this made him gay, but I'm sure his social circle and home life environment didn't act as a hindrance.

ďAny man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requiresĒ.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Quit moving!

July 2, 2012, 10:42 PM

Wow! I totally did NOT see this coming! This is extremely surprising to me! Whoa!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patient View Post
Really Snipes? Thats how you get down??

I got $1000 on Snipes being the best at this shit!!

Who wanna put a stack up against that? Who the fuck is Snipes' competition?

That motherfucker through in some flat asses for 5150 then told him to stfu and enjoy!

Man Snipes is the Mike Jordan of this shit!!

This threads stock just rose like a SOB!
Unread
  (#15)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 3, 2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
OK, so a media guy is a fucking faggot. Whatever.

Is it now the cool and hip thing to be a fag? I can't stand fags that seem to have some sort of drum to beat. If your queer, fine, live your life, don't annoy those around you, and you won't get annoyed yourself.

As long as your habits don't infringe on mine we'll live in harmony. But really, nobody gives a crap... and I'm tired of reading about fags in the headlines as a diversion to the far bigger problems this country needs to deal with.

The bigger picture is the financial stability of this country. Focus on the bottom line not the gays on the sideline.

My editorial, you are free to comment...
Your a fucking idiot! Your post screams of homophobia.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs