DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 504
1 members and 503 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Android Users! You having this same problem? WTF?
Unread
  (#1)
i suck at the introweb

Android Users! You having this same problem? WTF? - November 21, 2013, 11:50 AM

Alright so my phone is only 3 months old (Galaxy S4) and all of a sudden it has been glitchy the last few days, and my battery is dead before the end of the day (i usually get almost 2 days on a charge). I cleared cache, ram memory, unnecessary saved data, killed all running apps, and even did a restart, which does nothing as I still have the problem. Did all again and gave it a full charge, let phone sit for a couple hours or so and I have lost 13% battery. I have left my phone at home before, came back 12 hours later to find 91% remaining. So I check my battery stats and the culprit is "Google Play Services" seriously, WTF? Can't disable it like "samsung push services" otherwise it will render the phone almost useless. Looked up some info on it and findings are below. Is anyone else having this problem?

Play Services is suddenly a severe battery drain, but nobody knows why

Google Play Services has been up to some strange stuff lately. Over the past day or so, the normally innocuous app/service has been juicing batteries. With no apparent provocation, users with a myriad of devices are reporting that the service has been up to no good when it comes to battery life.

Play Services is a necessary part of Google’s Android, so it’s not as if we could remove it or shut it down. What is evident is that the service, almost solely, is draining batteries rapidly. The question is why it’s doing so. Is Google testing something? Did something go haywire with Newsstand ahead of the launch this morning? We don’t know. We tested this out with our Nexus 4, just to be sure. We had all cellular connectivity and WiFi off. We also disabled location sharing and background app refreshing, basically making our device a dumb brick instead of a smartphone. The result? Nearly 10% battery drain in two hours. In that mode, we routinely get through a day with a 4% loss in battery.
We’re not sure why it’s happening, but the problem is, unfortunately, unavoidable. Play Services is necessary, and a constantly running background app. This can’t go on forever, but even force stopping and clearing the cache probably won’t stop this madness. We’ve reached out to Google for an explanation, so we’ll update accordingly if we hear anything.

Play Services is suddenly a severe battery drain, but nobody knows why - Android Community

It's Not Just You - Google Play Services Seems To Be A Battery Hog Today

If you're noticing some fishy battery behavior today, and it looks like Google Play Services is the culprit, you aren't alone. Throughout the day, users have been reporting extraordinary battery use by the usually innocuous services app, accounting for up to 50% of battery usage. It would seem that, for reasons unknown, Play Services is keeping users' devices awake for incredible lengths of time. Some users report that location is disabled on their devices, ruling that out as a suspect for the increased battery drain. Others simply ask "why?"

Some have suggested stopping the app and clearing data, but this is likely only a temporary fix, if that. It's almost certain that the issue is somewhere on Google's side, and we can only hope that it is resolved soon and that our devices' battery stats are returned to normal.

It's Not Just You - Google Play Services Seems To Be A Battery Hog Today

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

November 21, 2013, 11:55 AM

Mine has shown a message that Google Play Services failed to update several times recently. Maybe that's a good thing for me.
Unread
  (#3)
Im Always Down to Ride

November 21, 2013, 12:03 PM

Well I am not having that issue and I too am on S4 (Tmobile) but I too am rooted as well and run a rom. What I remember about something like this not long ago was that people had to uninstall maps I think and then do the clearing process as you mentioned then re installed. I believe it was maps or google chrome.

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 21, 2013, 01:52 PM

dammit.....this is the first time hearing of S4 issues....I am like days away from pulling the plug to get a new phone....

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

November 21, 2013, 02:47 PM

I'm just glad I finally got away from Android. Picked up my 5s a couple weeks ago.

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

November 21, 2013, 03:46 PM

I smell a Class Action if they don't resolve this quickly.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Im Always Down to Ride

November 21, 2013, 05:25 PM

I have never been an iphoner...but this S4 had beat all Android phones I have ever had. My battery last an entire weekend. I have it rooted but not running anything crazy. Only rooted app I really use is Greenify. And the only app I greenify is Facebook.

Hands down best phone I ever had and I thought my S2 was the ish. I would still be using it if I had not switched to TMobile.

Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 22, 2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds120 View Post
I have never been an iphoner...but this S4 had beat all Android phones I have ever had. My battery last an entire weekend. I have it rooted but not running anything crazy. Only rooted app I really use is Greenify. And the only app I greenify is Facebook.

Hands down best phone I ever had and I thought my S2 was the ish. I would still be using it if I had not switched to TMobile.
you guys sold me on the S4 a while ago....and tonight I was out with fellow bikers and damn near seems like everyone have

S3/4
HTC One
or
iPhone

so im sold....

Oh what the hell is geenify and what do it do for GB?

I use FB
Group Me
weather and maybe pay pal apps the most.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#9)
On vacation

November 22, 2013, 05:42 AM

I've been on the S4 since it came out and I've never had that problem. That really sucks man, especially when you can't always get to a charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#10)
Im Always Down to Ride

November 22, 2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
you guys sold me on the S4 a while ago....and tonight I was out with fellow bikers and damn near seems like everyone have

S3/4
HTC One
or
iPhone

so im sold....

Oh what the hell is geenify and what do it do for GB?

I use FB
Group Me
weather and maybe pay pal apps the most.
Greenify is a app which shuts down the ones running in the background if it is not used. For instance, FB. I have it shut down until I physically open it because

A. My phone sits outside from work and I can see FB at work
B. I don't like getting every buzz each time someone likes something I liked and so forth. I check it often enough that I wont miss a comment.

This is it right here; https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...greenify&hl=en

WHAT IT IS NOT - a battery saving app(it does save your battery but not in the way most battery saving apps do it). It does not allow you to kill off CPU's if not running and underclock the phone and shut it basically into airplane mode by turning off all data and such. So dont expect that. Its unnecessary for the S4 anyways since it manages so well and have killer battery life.

Unread
  (#11)
Still here

November 22, 2013, 07:12 AM

My S3 has been glitchy lately! Slow running on certain apps/games, and though I haven't had crazy battery drain I have noticed it being drained a bit more than it normally would be. Hope this gets resolved soon. I'm not enjoying it.

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#12)
i suck at the introweb

November 22, 2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
dammit.....this is the first time hearing of S4 issues....I am like days away from pulling the plug to get a new phone....
Its not just the s4, from what I have read its mostly newer android devices running jelly bean or newer. It has only been a couple days now and seems to be the updates causing issues. After going through my phone I have found that "google play services" is not allowing the phone to enter stand by or sleep mode, its keeping the phone awake way longer then it should. So either a. Someone f'ed up on writing the update cause not only is it causing this issue, but it takes up an additional 3mb of storage. Or b. What my coworker said who is having same issue it's big brother.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#13)
Im Always Down to Ride

November 22, 2013, 07:30 AM

Oh yea thats right...I forgot about the 4.3 update that Samsung pushed out with Knox security lockdown software. I am still on 4.2.2 and loving it. Since I am rooted and such, I push my own updates when I want to.

Unread
  (#14)
MSF Student

November 22, 2013, 08:04 AM

Yeah if you have at&t and you have updated to 4.3, you're gonna have a bad time.
There are reports that their bloatware ramp up is killing battery life. People with clean distros of 4.3 have reported an increase in battery life though.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

November 24, 2013, 12:41 PM

My Asus tablet does this and it is so annoying. I thought I fixed it by disabling play services for an hour and then re enabling it but it's still acting up. I've even turned off the wifi setting in location services bit that also didn't help.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15