DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
4 members and 532 guests
2blueyam, BigDaddyShoo, ReasonableDoubt, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Another Mac thread
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Another Mac thread - February 9, 2007, 09:10 AM

Alright fellow geeks. I am in need of a new laptop.
Main uses are for browsing the internet, using word,excel, ppt, and picture editing off of my Nikon.

I am not interested in a refurbished Mac. sorry.

I saw on the other mac vs pc thread that ben said the only diff between macbook and macbook pro is how the video card uses RAM or allocated memory and that the pro has more upgrade options.

Gawt damn Macs are expensive. I priced out a Dell with main features of 2 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, DVD writer wireless aircard.
Price ~ 2K

ok first question, does the macbooks come with wireless built in? Didnt jump out at me on the "apple store".

Looking for opinions on the best config i can get around the same price as the dell. Based on what i use it for, what can i get away with?

I saw that Arrrrrrrrrrr6 got a mac, but took off OSX and installed Win XP. Whats the deal with that? Same install CD that you would use for PC's?

Help is appreciated. No need for MAC or PC bashing. I am MCSE, so i have familiarity with all OS types. Since i dont use a Mac on a day to day basis, i would rather seek out help from folks that do.

thanks.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 9, 2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
Alright fellow geeks. I am in need of a new laptop.
Main uses are for browsing the internet, using word,excel, ppt, and picture editing off of my Nikon.

I am not interested in a refurbished Mac. sorry.

I saw on the other mac vs pc thread that ben said the only diff between macbook and macbook pro is how the video card uses RAM or allocated memory and that the pro has more upgrade options.

Gawt damn Macs are expensive. I priced out a Dell with main features of 2 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, DVD writer wireless aircard.
Price ~ 2K

ok first question, does the macbooks come with wireless built in? Didnt jump out at me on the "apple store".

Looking for opinions on the best config i can get around the same price as the dell. Based on what i use it for, what can i get away with?

I saw that Arrrrrrrrrrr6 got a mac, but took off OSX and installed Win XP. Whats the deal with that? Same install CD that you would use for PC's?

Help is appreciated. No need for MAC or PC bashing. I am MCSE, so i have familiarity with all OS types. Since i dont use a Mac on a day to day basis, i would rather seek out help from folks that do.

thanks.
I never removed the MAC OSX I just prefered the XP version. The reason I did that was because I use that MAC for work when I work from home, but you can run the MAC OSX. Alex I would wait till the spring time when MAC comes out with thier new OSX. Some work related apps will only work for XP.

Last edited by ArRrR6; February 9, 2007 at 09:18 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

February 9, 2007, 09:21 AM

can you try that again in the form of english?

Did you install a dual boot to XP?

Run office? same CD? if not, cost?

link on new OS for spring? Same deal with Vista? Dont get the new Mac OS until many months of it being avail?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 9, 2007, 09:21 AM

Also yes they do come with built in wi-fi. But apple calls it "Airport"
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

February 9, 2007, 09:22 AM

yes the macs come with built in wireless (airport extreme), built in bluetooth 2.0., isight (built in camera). yeah thier 'spensive but i love my pro.

check here not sure if these are refurbs. you can actually tri-boot or quad boot a mac since they installed the intel chips. so you can run XP, Mac OS, Redhat or Linux. off the same laptop. But with Boot Camp you can only run one OS at a time. you can get Parallels which will allow you to run Windows within a window in OSX so you can run both at the same time.

you can check here not sure if they are refurb or not.

http://www.expercom.com/browse_by_ca...ATEGORY_ID=298

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#6)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 9, 2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
can you try that again in the form of english?

Did you install a dual boot to XP?

Run office? same CD? if not, cost?

link on new OS for spring? Same deal with Vista? Dont get the new Mac OS until many months of it being avail?
Sorry I was working and goofing off. I bought the MAC for the easy use everything is pretty much user friendly. When I purchased my MAC the guy threw in windows XP pro to seal the deal when I bought it. I run bootcamp in order for XP to run on the MAC, I only use it when I am working from home.

And here is the link to Mac's new OSX http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/
Unread
  (#7)
Owner of the Site Owner

February 9, 2007, 09:25 AM

buy a refurbished Mac, and get the warranty. iono what you need windows for but just VM it with Parallel.

Mac FTMFW

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

February 9, 2007, 09:27 AM

oh and they come with Front Row and remote equiv. to Media Center XP. you can upgrade the HD yourself. I did it on my Powerbook. just alot of damn screws. ther was like 15 lil screws. they made HD upgrade easier with the Macbook. just take off a cover and there it is swap it with new SATA drive.

Tony

'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#9)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 9, 2007, 09:27 AM

Alex when working with a digi cam, the MAC overtakes the PC by far. If you do get a MAC try iPhoto.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 9, 2007, 09:28 AM

if you already have a licensed copy of XP you can use your own.

Tony

'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

February 9, 2007, 09:28 AM

I am totally fine with the MAC OS. The wife has never used a mac, so need to keep it easy for her. Basic web browsing and WORD/Excel usage. Meaning if she does an excel spreadsheet at home, she should be able to do it on the mac at home.

That possible?

Not interested in getting crazy with dual boots..running free sw. Just want a legit laptop tha runs well, and does all the basics that we need.

I will be using it for photo editing. Since Mac's are awsome at dealing with pix, this is one of the main reasons for using a Mac.

Also, i have a 1 TB external USB drive. Right now it is plugged into a PC running Win XP. Will i be able to unplug it and see the files on the MAC w/out wiping the external drive?

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

February 9, 2007, 09:29 AM

go to the Apple store and play. also you can go to one of the classes they have there it's free. i sent a friend cuz he needed to learn a little more about Macs cuz he installs the FIOS for Verizon. class at 5pm he calls me at 9:30 just leaving with all this stuff he bought.

Tony

'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

February 9, 2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
buy a refurbished Mac, and get the warranty. iono what you need windows for but just VM it with Parallel.

Mac FTMFW

Reading comprehension 101.

Quote:
spud: I am not interested in a refurbished Mac. sorry.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

February 9, 2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArRrR6
Alex when working with a digi cam, the MAC overtakes the PC by far. If you do get a MAC try iPhoto.

cost? $$

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

February 9, 2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX2050
oh and they come with Front Row and remote equiv. to Media Center XP. you can upgrade the HD yourself. I did it on my Powerbook. just alot of damn screws. ther was like 15 lil screws. they made HD upgrade easier with the Macbook. just take off a cover and there it is swap it with new SATA drive.

what? i dont use media center...

Alex
13 Honda Fury