DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
3 members and 539 guests
boomboom929, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
any bbq smokers here?
Unread
  (#1)
just some dude

any bbq smokers here? - September 5, 2011, 05:23 PM

i decided to try my hand at smoking some ribs at home and picked up a cheapo master forge charcoal smoker from lowes for $60. i picked it up last friday, spent the weekend "modding" it and finally did some baby back and spare ribs today. they turned out great.

anyone here into bbq smoking and have some favorite recipes for rubs or sauces? for my first try i used alton brown's rib rub. i may try a beer-brined chicken next week.

the master forge is pretty bare-bones and there's no way to control the temperature. i spent another $20 in parts and $10 in tools to get it to work just right. a comparable smoker from weber is close to $300, so this seemed like a cheap and easy way to do a little smoking to get my feet wet.

the first thing i did was add a charcoal grate, that was $10 right there. then i ghetto-fabbed air vent dampers for the inlet and exhaust, added fiberglass stove insulation around the lid to seal it (another $10), and drilled a hole into the side so i can route my digital temp gauge.

here you can see the exhaust damper and the stove insulation. i had to buy a $10 hole saw to make the 3/4" holes:

and the inlet damper, the little aluminum piece sticking out at the bottom. there's already a 2" hole in the bottom, i just used some aluminum flashing to create a cover:

i think this was about 4 hours into the smoke. the baby backs are exposed, while the spare ribs were braising in the foil. i used the "3-2-1" method:

baby backs after about 4 hours:

spare ribs after about 5 hours:

spares on the left, baby backs on the right. no sauce has been added:

i'm not a big fan of sauce over my ribs, i'd rather use them as dipping sauces. i like the kc masterpiece the best, the jack daniels tasted like it had liquid smoke in it and was overpowering, and the sticky fingers had an odd taste i just couldn't get into:

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#2)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

September 5, 2011, 05:33 PM

Ive been wanting to get into this... last year this guy in our unit was smoking turkeys they were fucking awesome....

maybe ill pick one up next week

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

September 5, 2011, 06:02 PM

looks really good!

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

September 5, 2011, 07:22 PM

Now I am hungry again, those ribs look great. I have been cooking with a smoker for years, its the best way to prepare a turkey. I upgraded from charcoal to gas which has saved my deck from burning down. Try apple or maple chips with pork or poultry, it give a slight sweet flavor to the meat. Smoked porkchops come out juice and tender with more surface area to take in the smoked flavor, get the thick cut. Brisket is a must, keep the layer of fat on to keep the brisket moist.

Enjoy the eating adventures ahead.

So many toys, so little time
'09 Ducati 1198S
'05 Corvette
'97 Mastercraft
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

September 6, 2011, 11:09 AM

I smoked some turkey wings for a couple hours yesterday.... then drizzled some sesame oil mixed with seasoning over them and moved them closer to the fire to get a nice crisp on the skin!
Unread
  (#6)
#swag

September 6, 2011, 11:22 AM

Anyone have any feedback on electric smokers for starters?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#7)
#swag

September 6, 2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
Anyone have any feedback on electric smokers for starters?
Particularly this one.. Reviews on HD.com seem pretty decent.

Electric Gourmet Smoker-810-7090-S at The Home Depot

Unread
  (#8)
just some dude

September 6, 2011, 11:28 AM

i researched that electric smoker and decided against it. one, there's no temperature control, it's either on or off. two, they used inadequate gauge wire on the internals so you can hope the wiring doesn't go kaput or replace them ahead of time. three, the bottom pan and body aren't connected, so it would be a pain the butt to move around.

cleaning up a charcoal smoker is a huge pain in the ass, and cleaning up an electric may be almost as bad. the great thing about electric is the consistency. i would've gone electric except i just couldn't find one that i liked. there's also propane smokers you may want to check out.

2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)

Last edited by novasquid; September 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

September 6, 2011, 12:37 PM

321 method?

did you boil the ribs first? just curious b/c i havnt been able to make a decent rib yet.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#10)
Tough guy

September 6, 2011, 12:58 PM

My smoking rig is a Grilldome Ceramic Komado Smoker

I have been smoking for years and this setup has proved to be awesome. Set it and forget it!
Grilldome
DigiQ DX II
Big Green Egg Lump Charcoal
Dizzy Pig Rubs

This is a great book for beginners! Lots of recipes for rubs, sauces, mops.

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#11)
Tough guy

September 6, 2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
Particularly this one.. Reviews on HD.com seem pretty decent.

Electric Gourmet Smoker-810-7090-S at The Home Depot
I have a Brinkmann Electric...its currently under my deck. It never kept hot once I put the meat on...I'd be lucky to keep it above 180 degrees. Indirect low-slow is normally 235-250.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#12)
Bling Blang Blaow

September 6, 2011, 01:19 PM

dag... I can smell it from here, :: DROOL ::

2003 Honda VTX 1800R - Modded to the MAX
2005 Ducati M800 - RIP

'You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in life time' --Burt Munro

RIP Wayne Thomas (AKA Godson) ...ride on my brother, ride on.

CheapMotorcycleDeals.com - My blog where I search for the best deals on Motorcycles for sale in the DC Metro Area (Updated daily).
Unread
  (#13)
just some dude

September 6, 2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
321 method?

did you boil the ribs first? just curious b/c i havnt been able to make a decent rib yet.
never boil them! 3 hours low smoke at around 225f, 2 hours braise in foil back on smoker, 1 hour out of foil back on smoker. "321" is a general guideline, i probably did a little shorter on each step for the baby backs.

when i rubbed the ribs and let it sit for an hour or so while the grill got up to temp, it drew out a lot of the moisture. i used that liquid to braise in the 2nd step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux View Post
nice! i may eventually graduate to one of those, but i figure an $80 smoker is enough to get started.

Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

September 6, 2011, 01:57 PM

thanks!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#15)
#swag

September 6, 2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux View Post

I have been smoking for years and this setup has proved to be awesome. Set it and forget it!
Grilldome
DigiQ DX II
Big Green Egg Lump Charcoal
Dizzy Pig Rubs

This is a great book for beginners! Lots of recipes for rubs, sauces, mops.

O_o