DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 288
3 members and 285 guests
Diggy, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any body do some mountain biking?
Unread
  (#1)
Triple Secks

Any body do some mountain biking? - May 14, 2008, 11:14 AM

As part of my new years resolution i've been getting back into shape. I've been riding a mtn bike into work 2-3 days a week for about a month and a half now.(5.5miles one way) I think im in good enough shape to start hitting the trails on the weekend.

Anyone know good spots/areas? i have several friends that mtn bike, but the majority if them arent active right now. My roommate would probably go.

This is kind of just a feeler post. Maybe one weekend some of us can get together and hit the trails. I'm in Columbia Md.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
subUrban Warrior

May 14, 2008, 11:31 AM

Come to the Spot and talk with Ofc. Rider - he's the local mtn bike guru.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar
Unread
  (#3)
Triple Secks

May 14, 2008, 11:42 AM

Not sure i recognize the name Ofc. Rider, unless it's an abbreviation im not getting.

i keep planning on making it down. maybe in the next few weeks.

same routine.
Unread
  (#4)
Owner of the Site Owner

May 14, 2008, 12:37 PM

fountain head park in Lorton VA

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#5)
Mommy's Little Monster

May 14, 2008, 12:49 PM

i see you're in MD, check out schaeffer farms. that place is a lot of fun, nice and rolling. what kind of bike do you have? i used to be a bike mechanic for a local shop.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#6)
Fair Weather Rider

May 14, 2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
fountain head park in Lorton VA
+1
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

May 14, 2008, 01:05 PM

I used to ride like a maniac until I moved to baltimore for a year (go figure). I have been meaning to get back into it ever since, and this is the spring when I'm gonna do it. Interceptor has a bike too. I'll let you know when we plan a ride. Hopefully sometime very soon.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#8)
Triple Secks

May 14, 2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta
i see you're in MD, check out schaeffer farms. that place is a lot of fun, nice and rolling. what kind of bike do you have? i used to be a bike mechanic for a local shop.
Yeah, va might be a bit far for me to drive out to. It really depends on how addicted i get to the trail portion of it.

I bought a Trek 3900. It's an 07 model so it was slightly cheaper! The guy at the store tried to sell me the next model up, which in hindsight i kind of wish i had. But at the time i wasn't 100% certain i'd have the will power to get into daily cycling into work and then progress to the trails. My wife woudl have been pissed if i bought the next model up and i ended up never riding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
I used to ride like a maniac until I moved to baltimore for a year (go figure). I have been meaning to get back into it ever since, and this is the spring when I'm gonna do it. Interceptor has a bike too. I'll let you know when we plan a ride. Hopefully sometime very soon.
Sounds good to me. When i was shopping for a bike, i was shocked how far 'bicycling' has come in terms of technology. I wanted just a plain mtn bike, with no shocks.. because that's what i was used to when i was in my teens. The guy at the store made me feel old, when he made a remark on the lines of: "yeah, back 15 years ago no bikes had shocks." I'm not that old gd it.

Anyways, im down for it long as you don't take me on some crazy trails where i get injured. My endurance is getting better, but i'm a complete noob in terms of trail riding.

same routine.
Unread
  (#9)
Herndon's Finest

May 14, 2008, 02:13 PM

There's a place in Fredrick called the watershed that's some fun riding. It's been awhile since I've been, so I can't remember exactly where the trail starts. If you do make it down to VA, I can show you plenty of riding. Find me when you come down to the spot. I'll either be in uniform, or on my bike.

aka Ofc Rider

Jim

03 Subaru Legacy wagon
08 Subaru Tribeca Limited
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to J.R.  
Unread
  (#10)
Triple Secks

May 15, 2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.
There's a place in Fredrick called the watershed that's some fun riding. It's been awhile since I've been, so I can't remember exactly where the trail starts. If you do make it down to VA, I can show you plenty of riding. Find me when you come down to the spot. I'll either be in uniform, or on my bike.

aka Ofc Rider
Sounds good, thanks!

same routine.
Unread
  (#11)
I am a bitch, so what?

May 15, 2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.

aka Ofc Rider
If you try the watershed, then take a gps. The trails are not marked and there is no map available. You might find a few gps trails if you search some of the biker sites, but in general no mapping is allowed.

It's said to be some of the best trails around.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#12)
Mommy's Little Monster

May 15, 2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrasive
Yeah, va might be a bit far for me to drive out to. It really depends on how addicted i get to the trail portion of it.

I bought a Trek 3900. It's an 07 model so it was slightly cheaper! The guy at the store tried to sell me the next model up, which in hindsight i kind of wish i had. But at the time i wasn't 100% certain i'd have the will power to get into daily cycling into work and then progress to the trails. My wife woudl have been pissed if i bought the next model up and i ended up never riding it.

Sounds good to me. When i was shopping for a bike, i was shocked how far 'bicycling' has come in terms of technology. I wanted just a plain mtn bike, with no shocks.. because that's what i was used to when i was in my teens. The guy at the store made me feel old, when he made a remark on the lines of: "yeah, back 15 years ago no bikes had shocks." I'm not that old gd it.

Anyways, im down for it long as you don't take me on some crazy trails where i get injured. My endurance is getting better, but i'm a complete noob in terms of trail riding.
What kind of bike you should get always depends on your kind of riding. If it's purely for recreration, around the neighborhood, to the pool and back, etc, a 3900 is plenty. If you're wanting to get into singletrack riding, it's probably not gonna last too too long (but that depends on how big you are, and whether or not you just try and bash through stuff)

Also, NOTHING wrong with having no suspension, yea it's nice (sometimes) but truth be told, not having it with make you a better rider cause you'll learn to hop things with a touch of finesse rather than simply trying to roll over everything. Right now i'm rocking a single speed, fully rigid azonic frame and fork, built up w/ chris king (i'm guessing that'll mean something to at least someone on the board here).

Final $.02 - best advice I can give given your current equipment and experience is to take it easy on the gears, i.e. don't create a ton of torque by standing up, shifting, while climbing a hill. Less stress on the drivetrain will make your ride (and parts) last a lot longer.

I haven't ridden in a while, but i've got a lot of years of singletrack experience, if you ever have a question or want someone to ride with and show you pointers here and there, just shoot me a PM. Have fun!

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#13)
Triple Secks

May 15, 2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta
What kind of bike you should get always depends on your kind of riding. If it's purely for recreration, around the neighborhood, to the pool and back, etc, a 3900 is plenty. If you're wanting to get into singletrack riding, it's probably not gonna last too too long (but that depends on how big you are, and whether or not you just try and bash through stuff)
I'm over weight, I'm about 212lbs right now(down from 235 in January). My goal ideally is to be down to around 170lbs by the end of the year. I hadnt really planned to hit trails this soon, but ive got the itch and it needs to be scratched. Hopefully it wont fall apart the minute i hit a trail.

I was kind of shocked at how much bicycles can cost when i went into the shop.. I'm cheap and figured i'd get the cheapest entry bike and hope it wasnt money wasted. All the bikes with no front shock were MORE expensive. Hell, some of the bicycles they had cost almost twice as much as my 08 ninja 250, NEW. Insane. I went with the 3900, because i planned to mostly commute to work at first as part of the process in getting back into shape. Then once i was at a decent comfort level try some trails.

Thanks for the advice. i was also told not to use the largest gear with the smallest gear as it could snap the chain.

same routine.
Unread
  (#14)
Mommy's Little Monster

May 15, 2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrasive
Hell, some of the bicycles they had cost almost twice as much as my 08 ninja 250, NEW. Insane.

Thanks for the advice. i was also told not to use the largest gear with the smallest gear as it could snap the chain.
Ha, yeaaa there are a lot of EXPENSIVE bikes nowadays, what with all the crazy carbonium fiber and 'whatnot' , the shop i used to work at was an Independent Fabrication's dealer.....crazy nice (and custom) bikes! www.ifbikes.com

As far as the chain snapping...it'll probably only do that if you're cranking up a hill putting a lot of torque on it, then decide to shift...so if you see a hill coming, get in your 'easy' gear before you start climbing, otherwise you gotta give it a few hard pedals, and shift quickly as you ease up on the drivetrain. For general riding, as long as the chain isn't going from one side to the other (little gear up front, little gear in rear...or big and big) you'll be just fine. Doing that will stratch the chain laterally and significantly decrease it's life.

Just out of curiosity, what shop did you get yours from?

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600

Last edited by sk8nsanta; May 15, 2008 at 10:31 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
opossum puncher

May 15, 2008, 11:50 AM

When I was at tech there were some good trails, and my roomate was from Colorado and was big in to trail riding, I got in to it with him and started doing some of my own rides, beat the living shat out of a walmart special. Bent rims, blew out shocks, bent forks. good times, might have to start looking for a bike again on craigslist.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool