DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
3 members and 559 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any lawyers on here? Need some car advice about lemon laws.
Unread
  (#1)
Posting Nothing Relevant

Any lawyers on here? Need some car advice about lemon laws. - July 2, 2008, 01:01 PM

ok, heres the skinny.

on March 27th i bought a 2002 VW Golf 2.0 w/ 47,000 miles and a 2 month warranty.

on June 7th i had to purchase a new battery. no problem, 6 year old car, its about that time anyways.

June 18th, battery dies again, i take it back to advanced auto where i bought it, they said it was a bad battery, sorry, here is a new one.

Today, battery is dead again, and the car can no longer be jumped.

I believe this is a problem that the car had prior to the warranty ending, I feel the car was sold to me in this condition. A diagnostic eval. is up coming (waiting on the tow truck now) and will determine that. If it was sold to me in this condition, does it fall under virginias lemon laws?

thanks

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

July 2, 2008, 01:19 PM

I would put a new battery in the car or jumpstart the dead battery. Turn the car on, remove the terminals. If the car dies when you remove the terminals your alternator could be bad.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 2, 2008, 01:52 PM

Hey, my roomate just had the same issue, he has an 02 jetta...thought it was the battery, then the alternator but turns out he needed a new tensioner. This causes the car to run on battery instead of the alternator. Look into that before anything else.

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#4)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 2, 2008, 02:01 PM

I dont know VA lemon law but that would not fall under Illinois Lemon Law

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#5)
need more knee down

July 3, 2008, 06:01 AM

im pretty sure lemon laws only fall for new cars. Example being, i bought a brand new ford f-150 and after 3 months the transmission dies. Then 2 months later it dies again and then 4 months later it dies again. I cant remember specifics but i believe its 3-4 times within a set time frame can you file for lemon "status" under the lemon law. Its basically to protect intial investments in a automotible that is a pos and dealers/manufactures keep "fixing it" and it still being fubar. Also i believe it has to be the same issue repeatively, not multiple issues.

In your case, the late 90s/2000s vdubs are notorious for electircal issues. check the alternator like carnage said and even that belt tensioner (no tension on sepentine = no alternator) as well.

Honestly know it just sounds like that car wasn't maintained well, i dont think its lemon law status but im no lawyer
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#6)
Triple Secks

July 3, 2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEng
In your case, the late 90s/2000s vdubs are notorious for electircal issues. check the alternator like carnage said and even that belt tensioner (no tension on sepentine = no alternator) as well.
Yeah...

It didnt surprise me at all when the word lemon and vw were in the same post.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

July 3, 2008, 08:54 AM

I didn't think VA had lemon laws period? When I bought my Lightning, 2 days later the transmission went out...sorry they fixed it - took about a month, then one of the spark plugs shot out of the head - took about another month to fix it...All was good for a couple months, then the transmission went out again - this time they said it was the tq convertor and they fixed it. Couple weeks later, trans dead again. So this was the last straw, I looked into the lemon law crap but was told it doesn't apply...called Ford and SVT and bitched and they gave me another free extended warranty and some other crap...

oh and vw's are junk
Unread
  (#8)
GDMFSOB

July 6, 2008, 08:48 AM

Yeah, VA has them.
BTW, before you remove the battery teminals check a shop manual. Some cars will suffer alternator damage if you take the Batt out of the loop.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#9)
Agitator

July 6, 2008, 11:58 AM

iirc, va does have a lemon law for used vehicles, but its much shorter term than new, so its likely you are out of luck, unless you can prove the initial incident is within the period, I went through lemon law stuff with my s4, all the way through arbitration, the process can be easy, or maddenly difficult, I can give you some advice if you qualify, so check the va statute and pm me

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#10)
Firebreathing VTwin

July 6, 2008, 12:43 PM

do NOT remove the leads from the terminals a running car or motorcycle!

WHY do people this this the first step in diagnosing an electrical problem. Its wrong and can cause more damage than your trying to fix.

Having worked at Advance for several years I am familiar with their testers. First off make sure your are buying a good and quality battery, don't settle for less than their "titanium" line. Have them load test it (correctly) before you install. Then request they test your alternator with the roll out cart tester (with a known good battery installed). All this after you make sure that all your connections are clean and secure. This might be more than a visual check. A can of contact cleaner and a wire brush will go a long way in fixing many minor as well as major problems.

I am a HUGE VW fan, but I will not buy or drive anything made after 1992 or made outside of Wolfsburg Germany. The Mk4s do have some electrical issues. You could argue most of them are lemons, but no one is going to help/care.

As with any electrical troubleshooting you need to be systematic and start at the beginning of the circuit and never "ass"ume that any component, connector or wiring is good until you can verify it by testing.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.