DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 601
1 members and 600 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any Local WDC Places to Rent Snowshoes?
Unread
  (#1)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

Any Local WDC Places to Rent Snowshoes? - January 20, 2016, 04:05 PM

Was thinking might be fun to get myself and a friend out on snowshoes this weekend. Any ideas where they could be rented locally? Not sure I want to buy... yet.

Calls to REI (Rockville) & Eastern Mtn Sports in Ashburn are negative on rentals. Any other ideas? Preferably between Gaithersburg & Herndon, but I'm all ears.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
i suck at the introweb

January 20, 2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
Was thinking might be fun to get myself and a friend out on snowshoes this weekend. Any ideas where they could be rented locally? Not sure I want to buy... yet.

Calls to REI (Rockville) & Eastern Mtn Sports in Ashburn are negative on rentals. Any other ideas? Preferably between Gaithersburg & Herndon, but I'm all ears.
Everytime I go into a TJmaxx or Marshalls I see pairs for sale, for pretty cheap and they look like good quality products.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

January 20, 2016, 04:11 PM

I don't have any recommendations on where to get them, I was going to suggest REI, but it doesn't look like any REI in the region rents gear.

One thing, when looking for rentals make sure the snowshoes have a heel lift if you plan on climbing anything. It makes climbing so much more comfortable and efficient. If you are just going over relatively flat terrain the climbing wires aren't necessary.
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a llama again!

January 20, 2016, 04:41 PM

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#5)

January 20, 2016, 06:52 PM

LOL... that was already suggested to me by a coworker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Unread
  (#6)

January 20, 2016, 06:55 PM

Any other advice? I have never ever walked in snow shoes. So appreciate anything anyone can offer up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLow3 View Post
.... One thing, when looking for rentals make sure the snowshoes have a heel lift if you plan on climbing anything. It makes climbing so much more comfortable and efficient. If you are just going over relatively flat terrain the climbing wires aren't necessary.
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

January 20, 2016, 06:58 PM

You'll find some for sale on Craigslist
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
i suck at the introweb

January 20, 2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
Any other advice? I have never ever walked in snow shoes. So appreciate anything anyone can offer up.
TJ Maxx or Marshall's. They always seem to have some when go in.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#9)
No more 1050 :(

January 21, 2016, 12:32 AM

Lol snowshoes for a dusting.

You realize that you actually need a measurable amount of snow for snowshoes to be useful, right? Anything under a foot, you'd be better off in boots.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

January 21, 2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post

You realize that you actually need a measurable amount of snow for snowshoes to be useful, right? Anything under a foot, you'd be better off in boots.
eh i think this comment is a bit snarky. they do make a difference even under a foot, and with any decent snow coverage you're rarely better off in boots. that said i still wouldn't bother with them. they help but it's not all that big of a difference. I've still been sunk waist deep in powder with and without them. just FYI i hike a ton, and i've been up 14k ft mountains in the middle of winter. good boots/pants are where you want to start. don't worry about the snowshoes for this weekend. i've only rented them out west when planning on covering a good distance in fresh snow (and even then not all the time). I've never used them here and i've been out in every storm we've had in the past and plan to be out this weekend as well.

an alternative piece of advice for testing the waters of snow hiking. just get some WP socks. I was out at shenny yesterday with just mesh trail runners and WP socks:

Last edited by slow231; January 21, 2016 at 01:28 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

January 21, 2016, 05:25 AM

Quote:

MAYBE he wants them for 24+ inches projected for this weekend.

Maybe.

I've also done way too much hiking in the Adirondacks in the winter. Snowshoes will help this weekend, but sometimes they make things more difficult when you are breaking trail in less than 2'

Boots and Gators will get you pretty far.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk

Last edited by TTViper; January 21, 2016 at 05:29 AM..
Unread
  (#12)

January 21, 2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Was wanting them for the snow that's coming over the weekend. I'm going to have a need to walk about 3 miles out. Then the same distance back to home. Going to need to dig the GF out. And thought walking it in snowshoes would be cool. And then having them for local day hikes around here, and up in the Frederick Watershed, etc, when it snows enough.

What are WP socks? I have lots of merino wool socks and a good pair of hiking boots.

At the very least I think I'll PU some gaiters from REI to keep snow from getting under my pants and into the tops of my shoes.

I have never done any snow hiking other than beer runs up to the store with a backpack on. So appreciate any input.

Last edited by morsetaper2; January 21, 2016 at 10:28 AM..
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

January 21, 2016, 11:24 PM

WP = water proof. even the low end WP socks are worth it imo. yes breathability might not be great. but for winter, or for drying out shoes around the campsite (even in summer) they are invaluable. worth the 20-30$ investment imo.

concerning this weekend, for 6 miles round trip i wouldn't bother with snowshoes at all. just do it. enjoy the weekend.
Unread
  (#14)

January 22, 2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
...concerning this weekend, for 6 miles round trip i wouldn't bother with snowshoes at all. just do it. enjoy the weekend.
Thanks, appreciate the advice. Tried to look at them two places yesterday, both places had sold out of them. So couldn't buy them if I wanted too.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

January 22, 2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
WP = water proof. even the low end WP socks are worth it imo. yes breathability might not be great. but for winter, or for drying out shoes around the campsite (even in summer) they are invaluable. worth the 20-30$ investment imo.

concerning this weekend, for 6 miles round trip i wouldn't bother with snowshoes at all. just do it. enjoy the weekend.
I dk, if its 6 miles in 20+ inches of snow I certainly would prefer snowshoes. But i've only used them a few times before I switched to a splitboard, and there is no comparison between the two for the type of climbing that I do.