DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
5 members and 555 guests
davidcycle, fxc3700, Scot, Slider, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any Paramedics/EMT's?
Unread
  (#1)
Noob-alishish

Any Paramedics/EMT's? - September 24, 2009, 10:00 AM

Hey guys so Ive been studying hard core lately class is getting tough.

Was wondering if anyone is a Paramedic or EMT here? Im going for paramedic and was looking for any advice on how to memorize things?

Also Im horrible at math which Im practicing on making better. We're getting to the calculations on meds was wondering if anyone had any easyish ways of doing that?

Like liters to mililiters stuff like that.

Thanks for any advice!

Remember to Breathe.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

September 24, 2009, 10:03 AM

K squared is a EMT and a real nice guy also. He isnt one much anymore but send him a pm and ill shoot him a text

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
Noob-alishish

September 24, 2009, 10:04 AM

Sweet thanks!!

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#4)
TPG - screw face

September 24, 2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Hey guys so Ive been studying hard core lately class is getting tough.

Was wondering if anyone is a Paramedic or EMT here? Im going for paramedic and was looking for any advice on how to memorize things?

Also Im horrible at math which Im practicing on making better. We're getting to the calculations on meds was wondering if anyone had any easyish ways of doing that?

Like liters to mililiters stuff like that.

Thanks for any advice!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aqi=g-s4g-ms3

Last edited by Oneway; September 24, 2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: posted a link to convert liquid to distance WTF
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Noob-alishish

September 24, 2009, 10:11 AM

One way thanks I kinda got that much I was just wondering if their was any other ways of doing it, or just simple tricks and tips.

Thats the way im doing it now, still getting the hang of it im really slow at math lol

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#6)
Don't call my name

September 24, 2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Like liters to mililiters stuff like that. Thanks for any advice!
Learn prefixs... mili is 1/1000 ... liter to milliliter -> divide by 1000, multiple by 1000 for versus.

Occasional rider, occasional photographer

KnockOut Photography
https://www.facebook.com/KnockOutMotoPhotos
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

September 24, 2009, 10:14 AM

When I was in my EMT course, I got the perforated business cards for a printer and made flash cards with them. That made them small enough to keep around easily. I could send you the word file, but if you are into med calculations you are beyond the EMT stuff.
Unread
  (#8)
Noob-alishish

September 24, 2009, 10:18 AM

GoGo not that would be great!!!

Im taking my EMT class next semester, I got in a little late so I took these classes to get a little ahead of the game so when I go into EMT class I'll know a little more then I should already know =P

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

September 24, 2009, 10:46 AM

The EMT subject matter is different, but the approach to learning biomedical information is pretty much the same as other courses and programs. The best way to make accurate calculations and unit conversions is to do them stepwise and deliberate. It's difficult to demonstrate here in static text, but perhaps if we bump into each other at the spot or a twt or something I can give you a brief tutorial. Otherwise, there are just simply some things you have to learn and recall by heart: micro, mili, centi, deci, (unit), ..., kilo. Tthe big ones for you are to the right of the decimal, especially since it is medical convention to give blood quantities in decileters, dl (everyone else in research uses ml or L).

As far as the medical physiology is concerned, I used to teach it so feel free to PM me with specific questions. The best way to approach it is in the context of what physiology is--systems biology. You want to learn and remember facts and principles in the context of the entire organ system they relate to. A story is much easier to remember than abstract and disjointed facts. It's best to sit down and dig in for long sessions in one organ system at a time (e.g. cardiovascular, pulmonary, GI, etc.). The first aid and trauma procedures will simply require extensive practice and drilling.

You have chosen a very imporant field of study, and I commend you.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)
I'm baaaaaack

September 24, 2009, 11:18 AM

Derby, I'm getting ready to go for the same thing. I'm a member of GDVFD in Gainesville and that is going to be my best source of information. Are you affiliated with any department? If not go join and run somewhere. That will be your best bet.
Unread
  (#11)
Noob-alishish

September 24, 2009, 11:21 AM

Thank you very much orange! I will deff have to meet you at the spot sometime when I get some free time I'll actually try and make it next week.

Yeah being a paramedic is no joke that's for sure. That's why I want to get everything down pat and have no questions. I don't want MY calculations to kill someone. I want to know I did everything I could for someone and not a drop less.

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#12)
Noob-alishish

September 24, 2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter600RR View Post
Derby, I'm getting ready to go for the same thing. I'm a member of GDVFD in Gainesville and that is going to be my best source of information. Are you affiliated with any department? If not go join and run somewhere. That will be your best bet.
I'm not with a dept, I'm going full time like 15-18 hours a semester at nova. I would like to be on a dept just to check it out but from what I've heard in Alexandria their are no volunteers. So I'm just keeping my head in the books and trying to find a part time job.

Once I become EMT certified I plan on doing that while still going to school for paramedic.

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#13)
I'm baaaaaack

September 24, 2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I'm not with a dept, I'm going full time like 15-18 hours a semester at nova. I would like to be on a dept just to check it out but from what I've heard in Alexandria their are no volunteers. So I'm just keeping my head in the books and trying to find a part time job.

Once I become EMT certified I plan on doing that while still going to school for paramedic.
Go run in FFX somewhere. Anywhere that has volunteer departments. Plus doing that they'll get you in a class for your EMT and you wont have to pay anything.
Unread
  (#14)
Noob-alishish

September 24, 2009, 11:32 AM

I'll check into that! I'm not paying for school it's paid for.

My father was in the military and was killed due to combat related injury. RIP

so the va covers it. Rather have him back but you know no reason to waste it.

Remember to Breathe.
Unread
  (#15)
Never lose your head!!

September 24, 2009, 05:58 PM

Derby -

You've received some good studying tips here as well as Fire/Ems related tips. However, if you're only starting out and taking your EMT next semester, then you not need worry about drug calculations anytime soon. It'll be important once you're in the pharmacology session of the course which will be covered in the following semester. In the meantime, you can start learning the basic math and as others have suggested, learn the prefixes...that will help you tons. If you want to be ahead of the game, study Anatomy & Physiology, trauma, major illnesses.

As to join an affiliation, not a bad idea if you have the time. Alexandria DOES have volunteers - they're not as prominant as other jurisdictions but they have some. More EMS volunteers than Fire..the process can be a hassle but the requirements aren't as regimented. Arlington's volunteers are comparable to Alexandria. Fairfax have a number of volunteers and they might be allow you to do more hands on...but not too sure (I think it depends on the crew). If you really want to receive serious experience then you need to travel south and west...Prince William County and Loudon County. PWC volunteer hours are 6p-6a (m-f) and 24 hrs on the weekends. Not sure about Loudon County. PWC, you're assigned to a unit and shift (battalion) so you'll be on a schedule.

Good luck with your studies and hope you finish the program. If you have any further questions, you're more than welcome to contact me. By the way, I'm a medic (paid)for Alexandria and if you (or anyone on the board) want to do a ride-along, send me a PM.

Oh and Nubbs

KK