DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 504
3 members and 501 guests
beatle, KirkRoy, windblown
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any skydivers here?
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Any skydivers here? - July 19, 2017, 05:38 PM

Just finished my Cat B in AFF this past Sunday and going to knock out C I & II this Saturday. I'm pee'd at myself for waiting for so long to get in to the sport. I'm addicted. Had an "oh crap" moment on each jump. Botched my exit on the first jump and tumbled and flipped. Got it together by 9K and was able to pull at 55oo. Haunted me for a week. Went back two weeks later and had a great jump with the exception of a burble. Did my three count and nothing was going on. Turned to look up and see if my pilot chute was out and BOOM! I was almost able to land without assistance until I got a message that I was leaving the holding area too soon even though my altimeter was reading 1K. And I landed on my feet. Can't wait until Saturday.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
thanksfornothing.org

July 19, 2017, 06:16 PM

I've always wanted to have a paintball gun battle while skydiving.

One thing I won't do is pack my own chute. I am a retard and surely will kill my self.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

July 19, 2017, 08:29 PM

Mannnnn... listen I ain't jumping out of no perfectly good plane.
I took off in the sucker, and if the engine is running and the wings are still attached, then I plan to land in that sucker.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

July 20, 2017, 08:35 AM

I've done it twice but no where near being certified. If I lived closer to a place where I could make side money some weekends I may.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 22, 2017, 07:53 AM

I tried to do my Cat B and C1/C2 on Thursday. There was a film crew doing a documentary and an Spec Ops military group doing training there that had the schedule jacked up. So all day in the heat to only get 2 jumps in. Going back next Friday to get my C2 and start D.

Costco has iFly gift cards at a discount, so I will probably get some tunnel time in to make sure I don't have to repeat any D or E jumps.

And yes, very addictive. I keep looking up at blue skies wishing I was jumping. Which is kinda silly considering I only have 3 jumps in towards my A license.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 22, 2017, 12:26 PM

I've jumped twice as a "tourist" (attached to an instructor). The rush of the first time was pretty much gone by the second jump. Don't think I'd want to do it as a hobby but it's very popular

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#7)
Triumph-ant

July 22, 2017, 01:11 PM

You should get one of those squirrel suits and fly around like superman. That'd be fun.

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
Unread
  (#8)

July 22, 2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
I tried to do my Cat B and C1/C2 on Thursday. There was a film crew doing a documentary and an Spec Ops military group doing training there that had the schedule jacked up. So all day in the heat to only get 2 jumps in. Going back next Friday to get my C2 and start D.

Costco has iFly gift cards at a discount, so I will probably get some tunnel time in to make sure I don't have to repeat any D or E jumps.

And yes, very addictive. I keep looking up at blue skies wishing I was jumping. Which is kinda silly considering I only have 3 jumps in towards my A license.
Just got back from my C1. I have to repeat it.

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

July 23, 2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
Just got back from my C1. I have to repeat it.
Which part got you? C1 was the first time I felt some nerves since I knew they were going to be letting go of me.
Unread
  (#10)

July 23, 2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Which part got you? C1 was the first time I felt some nerves since I knew they were going to be letting go of me.
My arch sucks balls. They let me go twice. The first time I started tracking off course, which I was later told was a guaranteed line twist if I pulled. They grabbed back on to me the second time right before I pulled. One of the tasks is a solo pull. At least I'm not as shaky in the door as I was before.

Unread
  (#11)
TNT
GP Champ

July 23, 2017, 11:38 PM

70 jumps here, but not jumping anymore since I had a kid. Loved it, and miss it.

Don't listen to anyone who isn't an instructor trying to tell you how to jump, what gear to use, etc. Repeat AFF jumps are opportunities. Use time with the instructors to its fullest.

I hit a tree on jump no. 5. I'd say you're doing just fine. Have fun, and when you get to packing your own, just remember that it wants to open.

Oh yeah, blue skies! Keep us posted on your fun.

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

http://youtu.be/rgMTY5wQqv0

Last edited by TNT; July 24, 2017 at 12:09 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

July 25, 2017, 09:00 AM

That looks awesome.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

July 26, 2017, 05:57 PM

Did my C2 and D1 today. C2 exit and free fall was fine. I flared to high and did a PLF into a pile of cows hit.

D is a solo exit. I stepped out too hard and had my legs bent too much. That had me backsliding and rotating left a bit. When I did my practice touches I started spinning hard left. I should have waited to get more stable before doing my practice touches. I couldn't stop the spin on my own. Instructor hit me to stop it and he got me stable then let go. Burned too much altitude to get all the controlled turns in before pulling. Winds were shifting so I had to fly from one holding area to the other one to reverse the landing pattern so I did not get to do everything I needed to while under canopy.

So I am going to need two more Cat D jumps at a minimum. Pissed off at myself. I am going to hit iFly and practice before going back next week.
Unread
  (#14)
TNT
GP Champ

July 27, 2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Did my C2 and D1 today. C2 exit and free fall was fine. I flared to high and did a PLF into a pile of cows hit.

D is a solo exit. I stepped out too hard and had my legs bent too much. That had me backsliding and rotating left a bit. When I did my practice touches I started spinning hard left. I should have waited to get more stable before doing my practice touches. I couldn't stop the spin on my own. Instructor hit me to stop it and he got me stable then let go. Burned too much altitude to get all the controlled turns in before pulling. Winds were shifting so I had to fly from one holding area to the other one to reverse the landing pattern so I did not get to do everything I needed to while under canopy.

So I am going to need two more Cat D jumps at a minimum. Pissed off at myself. I am going to hit iFly and practice before going back next week.
I did about 6 Cat D jumps during training, mostly from losing currency. You'll get it sorted, and tunnel time will be a great help. Don't get too frustrated.

Where are you all jumping? Orange?
Unread
  (#15)

July 27, 2017, 03:46 PM

I jump at Orange. I went to iFly twice this week to work on stability. Got a little better, but still a ways to go.