DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 224
0 members and 224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
GP Champ

July 31, 2017, 01:02 PM

Jumping at Orange.

I went to iFly Friday, told the dude there what happened and that I wanted to work on turns. I got int, got stable, controlled my forward and rearward motion well with my legs so I was not bouncing off the wall. Turned with my arms and was doing well. He gave me a big thumbs up and signaled for me to do a practice touch. As soon as I did that, I spun hard. Got stable and tried again and spun hard again.

D1 was the first jump where I did not have someone holding me when I did my practice touches. Apparently I was doing wrong it all this time. So I am going to try and hit it again Tue night before trying to finish up my Cat D on Wed.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
TNT
GP Champ

July 31, 2017, 10:16 PM

Don't worry, you are still doing better than this.
Unread
  (#18)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

August 1, 2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Don't worry, you are still doing better than this.
That looks like Tammer's handwriting.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#19)
GP Champ

August 3, 2017, 08:19 AM

Went to the tunnel Tuesday evening, and then went and knocked out my 2 Cat D jumps and started on E yesterday. Nailed my D jumps. First landing knocked the target cone over, second was a standup landing within 10ft of the cone. Screwed up my E. Did the barrel rolls fine, but then the instructor was swopping around, coming in to high five me, etc. and distracted me so I missed my hard deck to pull. He gave me the pull signal which is pointing with the index finger. I misinterpreted that as him wanting me to turn 360 in that direction since we had just done that on the jump prior. So as I was turning he came in and pulled my chute. If it had not been for that he would have signed me off for only need a coach instead of an instructor to jump. So it would have gotten cheaper. Damnit.
Unread
  (#20)

August 3, 2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
Went to the tunnel Tuesday evening, and then went and knocked out my 2 Cat D jumps and started on E yesterday. Nailed my D jumps. First landing knocked the target cone over, second was a standup landing within 10ft of the cone. Screwed up my E. Did the barrel rolls fine, but then the instructor was swopping around, coming in to high five me, etc. and distracted me so I missed my hard deck to pull. He gave me the pull signal which is pointing with the index finger. I misinterpreted that as him wanting me to turn 360 in that direction since we had just done that on the jump prior. So as I was turning he came in and pulled my chute. If it had not been for that he would have signed me off for only need a coach instead of an instructor to jump. So it would have gotten cheaper. Damnit.
Sounds like you're cruising through it. I'm going to do my C1 again tomorrow morning. At the pace I'm going, I should finish AFF and have my 25 jumps done at the same time.

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#21)
TNT
GP Champ

August 3, 2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Unread
  (#22)
GP Champ

August 5, 2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
Sounds like you're cruising through it. I'm going to do my C1 again tomorrow morning. At the pace I'm going, I should finish AFF and have my 25 jumps done at the same time.
How was C1 round 2?

I am going back in a week to get my E knocked out then start on F.
Unread
  (#23)

August 6, 2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
How was C1 round 2?

I am going back in a week to get my E knocked out then start on F.
I'm taking a break for a few months. In December or January, I'm going to go down to Sebastian,FL. They have an "A license in a week" program. Between work and the weather, I'll never get it done. But to answer your question, I rode the plane back down. I don't know what happened. I had some kind of panic attack or something.

Unread
  (#24)
GP Champ

August 6, 2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I'm taking a break for a few months. In December or January, I'm going to go down to Sebastian,FL. They have an "A license in a week" program. Between work and the weather, I'll never get it done. But to answer your question, I rode the plane back down. I don't know what happened. I had some kind of panic attack or something.
Bummer.

I looked at taking a week off and going to Sebastian. That is the home DZ of a buddy of mine. He recommended against it. You still have weather holds, so you might spend the week and not get the 25 successful jumps in. Plus, it tends to beat you up jumping that much. You don't want to be sore and miserable and feel like now you gotta get the jumps in or the time was wasted.

Hope it works out for you. Maybe just taking some time off and doing more tunnel time will help. Space it out to one jump day a month?
Unread
  (#25)
TNT
GP Champ

August 6, 2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I took two years to get my A. It's not a race. Doing it all at once has some major advantages, but also some downsides. Your pace is your own. Hope the FL trip works out well. I've heard good things from people who have done similar.
Unread
  (#26)

August 7, 2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Bummer.

I looked at taking a week off and going to Sebastian. That is the home DZ of a buddy of mine. He recommended against it. You still have weather holds, so you might spend the week and not get the 25 successful jumps in. Plus, it tends to beat you up jumping that much. You don't want to be sore and miserable and feel like now you gotta get the jumps in or the time was wasted.

Hope it works out for you. Maybe just taking some time off and doing more tunnel time will help. Space it out to one jump day a month?
I think the freak out last Friday was from too much time off,and Mario announced on the way up that it's Friday and we're going up to 15k. I'm going to hit up iFly every week or two. I have 5 jumps logged, so I have 14 days to do the other 20 jumps.

I'm in no rush to get my license, but taking a day off work combined with wind holds and the brutal ride back home from there, it's just makes sense to take two weeks off in the winter and go for it. Plus, I'll have a view of the ocean

Unread
  (#27)

August 7, 2017, 07:01 PM

So this Thursday opened up. I'm too embarrassed to go back to Orange, so I sent an email to Warrenton to see if they would let me continue AFF there.

Unread
  (#28)
GP Champ

August 7, 2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
So this Thursday opened up. I'm too embarrassed to go back to Orange, so I sent an email to Warrenton to see if they would let me continue AFF there.
I would not be embarrassed. I have heard experienced skydivers deciding not to jump once airborne. I have a buddy who loves Skydive DC. Not as fancy as Orange but better customer service and more low key without sacrificing safety. Open fewer hours tho so they may or be open on Thu. He said their hours are based on how many sign up for tandems online.

But yes, you can continue there. Steve is being a dick with my son who is also getting his A license. Keeps calling him "kid" and talking down to him. No flexibility with his schedule, etc. So I thought he might be interested in switching to DC. We both really like all the AFF instructors at Orange, but tired of Steve being a grumpy old ass.
Unread
  (#29)
TNT
GP Champ

August 7, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I would not be embarrassed. I have heard experienced skydivers deciding not to jump once airborne. I have a buddy who loves Skydive DC. Not as fancy as Orange but better customer service and more low key without sacrificing safety. Open fewer hours tho so they may or be open on Thu. He said their hours are based on how many sign up for tandems online.

But yes, you can continue there. Steve is being a dick with my son who is also getting his A license. Keeps calling him "kid" and talking down to him. No flexibility with his schedule, etc. So I thought he might be interested in switching to DC. We both really like all the AFF instructors at Orange, but tired of Steve being a grumpy old ass.
Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures is run by a guy who used to be an AFF-I at Orange. He was my instructor for my Cat-B jump, in which he told me to try and punch him in the face when throwing out my pilot chute. I ended up punching him in the face. Good guy. Haven't been down to see his dropzone, but it's probably worth checking out.
Unread
  (#30)
TNT
GP Champ

August 7, 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:

I ended up getting a stern talking to once or twice at Orange. Everyone there has good intentions. Some are more friendly about it than others. All in all, I liked it a lot. I only jumped there and Elsinore in SD, so I don't have much to compare.

I think deciding not to jump is seen as respectable, at least by the jumpers you want to emulate. It's too easy to give into the pressure and go out even when something doesn't seem right, and that's a bad way to do business. Plenty of days I drove down and decided not to jump because I wasn't in the right mindset.

I was one of those guys who was checking his gear about 20 times on the way up to altitude, had people running me through the EP flashcards multiple times per day, even after I got my license. Worst damn thing I ever did was not saying something when I noticed a guy's altimeter not reading the same as mine. I would routinely (almost to the level of paranoia) check with others, so when I looked over and saw his reading about 1000 ft higher than mine, I figured he knew what he was doing and didn't want to bother "the experienced guy." He ended up having a two out landing, probably because of a low pull. I should have said something. He was fine in the end, but may not have been.

Nothing wrong with being extra cautious, and you can end up being the one that notices a hazard when everyone else isn't paying as much attention.

Last edited by TNT; August 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM..