DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 508
2 members and 506 guests
GRN96WS6, shiphteey
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any Stock traders or investors here?
Unread
  (#1)
Stop light racer...

Post Any Stock traders or investors here? - November 7, 2014, 10:52 AM

As winter draws closer and our normal motorcycle ramblings trail off, I figured I'd start a thread to discuss interesting or potential investments.

Recently AMD -developer computer processors and related technologies- took a big hit in their stock price. Mostly due to a lower than expected quarterly earnings report and the resignation of their CEO.

AMD currently is the OEM Chip Developer for Xbox One and PS4; both of which just became legal to buy in China for the first time in like 10+ years, which is bound to increase sales for both substantially. Also AMD just secured a contract with Apple to provide chips for their upcoming 4K MacBook Pros.

Additionally they just announced the release of their newest Radeon chip, their API software software has huge potential to replace outdated OpenGL and Directx and they'll be releasing a new highend performance chip in the beginning of 2016.

Long story short with a stock price at under $2.80/share, this company seems to have potential for solid return. I recently bought over 1,700 shares.

Rolling that dice!

So does anyone else here pay attention to individual stocks? Any other interesting companies on your radar?

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T

Last edited by pnbell; November 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Cager

November 7, 2014, 11:20 AM

I'd say that is a good call. I got 250 shares with AMD as well right after their prices dropped. I am slowly building up my portfolio, but AMD shares caught my eye when they dropped quite bit in early October.

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

November 7, 2014, 11:57 AM

Gilead Sciences, based in Foster City, California, has yet another HIV drug under FDA review and is expected to seek approval by the European Union before year's end. It's TAF, which is a reformulation of its current drug, Viread. If approved, TAF will replace Viread in Gilead's cocktail of HIV drugs called Stribild. Here is a very brief article I wrote on Gilead's announcment yesterday:

New HIV drug could cure disease with just one pill | Daily Digest News

I DID NOT write that title. The editors have a really tough time with overstepping their bounds in creating link-bait headlines.

Anyway, if TAF is approved, it means that HIV patients can take Stribild longer because by replacing Viread with TAF, the activity of Viread/TAF is maintained at a 10th of the original dose. This means lower risk of kidney injury from the drug regimen. In two words, that equates to "more revenue."

Gilead's stock price has risen steadily over the past year. Here they are with another potential blockbuster drug in the pipeline. I'll let you guys decide whether or not to invest in them.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
Im Always Down to Ride

November 7, 2014, 12:34 PM

I am working to start investing myself actually. Just read the intelligent investor and now getting started. Definitely looking for a well balanced portfolio, mostly based long term 70/30/10 split.

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

November 7, 2014, 12:36 PM

I'm in and out of the markets. When I feel there's too much froth or I don't understand what's going off I lay off for months - and in some cases years.

Didn't buy any equities from mid-08-10. Shorted on the way down during and got really safe for a 7 quarters.

I'm surprised at the AMD forecast. I thought they were about to go the way of Texas Instruments and Wang (may be dating myself a bit) as it relates to their chip business.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Stop light racer...

November 7, 2014, 12:38 PM

Aight Jarvis, lets ride this wave.

OSD: Thats pretty interesting actually. The company has had huge growth in the last 5 years. From $20 to $100/pps! If they really can back their recent claims the price will surely continue to rocket.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

November 7, 2014, 12:38 PM

BTW - I think their is a professional trader on the board. Or at least he's highly skilled. He comes on from time to time in a few of the investment and company discussion threads. Cannot remember his screen name right now.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
SUPERBITCHIN'

November 7, 2014, 12:47 PM

buy spyder (S&P 500 index) in october, sell in april it has a natural slope up during those months.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#9)
Mojito Anyone?

November 7, 2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
BTW - I think their is a professional trader on the board. Or at least he's highly skilled. He comes on from time to time in a few of the investment and company discussion threads. Cannot remember his screen name right now.
Arty??? something like that?

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

November 7, 2014, 01:17 PM

The only investment strategies proven to work:
Hookers & Blow
or
Seeds & Bullets
Unread
  (#11)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

November 7, 2014, 02:39 PM

CCS #133 AM

For all of your oil and filtration needs go to www.dc-moto.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#12)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 9, 2014, 10:33 AM

I subscribe to the motley fool stock advisor website. I like it so far.

Things they recommend at the moment: cgnx, ilmn, kmi, sbux, wfm, clb, cost, ibkr, luk, ma, atvi, aapl, ebay, dis, cmg, nke, ua.

I am about even w/ the S&P this year. Would probably be above it if I just bought things they recommended.
Unread
  (#13)
Silence... I keeeel you

November 10, 2014, 12:14 AM

I did very well with Tesla and Burger King this year. The BK really surprised me. Both up over 20%.

Sold BW3 just in time. Did well with that.

My Ford stock...not so good.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#14)
RIP Jeff Vega

November 10, 2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon663 View Post
I subscribe to the motley fool stock advisor website. I like it so far.

Things they recommend at the moment: cgnx, ilmn, kmi, sbux, wfm, clb, cost, ibkr, luk, ma, atvi, aapl, ebay, dis, cmg, nke, ua.

I am about even w/ the S&P this year. Would probably be above it if I just bought things they recommended.
Did you include all your transaction fees as well?

I subscribe to the idea that very few people can beat the overall stock market over the long haul. I just invest in an index and let it ride. I don't have the time to truely research individual stocks to know if over/under valued.
Unread
  (#15)
Range Rover Owner

November 10, 2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post

My Ford stock...not so good.
really? you must got in after the climb. i turned over 900% on F; bought it when the market tanked in Dec 08; it was around $2.00 a share. but i only bought $500 worth. ..just imagine if i put in $10,000. but it was at the time when they were looking for a bailout.

this year, i bought TSLA at 209; should have sold it at 286, but thinking it'll go over 300, with the Model X. don't think it's going to happen now with fuel prices dropping and their production woes. finally, had enough of the roller coaster ride trade it for BABA.

BABA looks promising; but Kramer says stay away.

the big miss was GoPro; 300% gain since IPO in June.