DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 496
2 members and 494 guests
2blueyam, drnknmnky13
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any thoughts on the iPhone 5S?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Any thoughts on the iPhone 5S? - September 11, 2013, 07:42 PM

I'm very surprised that this topic hasn't taken a life of its own on .net yet. I wasn't able to read the entire love blog but from what I saw there really isn't shit new with it.

I still have an iPhone 4 cause the 5 didn't wow me enough and figured I'd wait for the next one. But if this is the best iPhone can call "innovation" then I think I might be ready to start looking into Androids finally.

My only constant hesitation with Androids though is that they are all supposed to be the same yet so different. And some can upgrade OS while others can't, etc, etc. I wouldn't even know where to start in the selection process.

PS Someone please copy and link to info on the 5S for those who don't know what's new. And wth with including fingerprints but not NFC?!

Forum Runner FTW!!!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Member of SRWJTS

September 11, 2013, 07:46 PM

BUT IT'S GOT 64 BITSIES

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

September 11, 2013, 07:50 PM

The 4s wasn't that impressive over the 4, but it was faster and ran smoother for me.

The 5 was significantly more impressive in build and function over the 4 and 4s.

The 5s will not be that impressive over the 5, but it will be significantly faster, run smoother, and you can get a mother fucking gold one, brah.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

September 11, 2013, 07:54 PM

4s had siri. was pretty big.

when that shit works haha
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

September 11, 2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
4s had siri. was pretty big.

when that shit works haha
Meh, I only use siri when my phone is connected to my Sena headset.

5s will also come preloaded with iOS7. That will be pretty big.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

September 11, 2013, 08:16 PM

I haven't read much on it, but the only thing I've heard so far is fingerprint unlocking.

Having a 4-digit passcode works just fine for me.

Nothing I say is to be taken seriously.

2004 Black ZX636
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

September 11, 2013, 08:19 PM

Camera

For the iPhone 5S, Apple's improved the camera compared to previous iPhones by physically increasing the size of the image sensor. That means, at least on paper, significantly higher low-light performance, which should result in better pictures captured in the often-poor lighting conditions users find themselves in. Party photos from bars, pubs and dimly-lit homes should be clearer, sharper, and with better colours compared to pictures captured the iPhone 5 and 4S.

Features

The iPhone 5S marks Apple's first introduction of a fingerprint reader called "Touch ID". The sensor sits under the traditional home button, allowing users to ditch passwords and unlock their iPhones just by swiping their finger across the home button. It's a major leap forward in both phone security and usability because users will no longer have to remember PINs or passwords, as the Touch ID will also allow the user to purchase music, apps and videos through the phone.

Five fingerprints can be stored on the device to unlock the iPhone but only one can be associated with your iTunes account so your kids will be able to unlock your phone, but will be prevented from buying apps, videos and music, which could save you from some very expensive bills. Your fingerprint data is only stored on your phone and it isn't sent over the internet or stored on Apple's servers, which should help keep prying eyes away from it and your data secure.

While Apple has barely changed the design of the iPhone 5S compared with last year's iPhone 5 – maintaining its pin-sharp 4-inch retina screen and thin and light body – it is available in a new colour: gold. The traditional black (rebranded as "space grey") and white ("silver") colours are still available, however.

iOS 7, a complete redesign of Apple's mobile operating system, is also launching with the iPhone 5S. It looks to revitalise the rather unchanged iOS, and has taken the approach of "flat" yet colourful design. Improvements are available across the board for all of Apple's built-in apps such as Mail, iMessages, Calendar and Photos. It's worth noting that the iOS 7 update will also be available for existing iPhones, including the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

Speed

Apple has kitted out the iPhone 5S with its latest processor. The Apple A7 combines a new 64-bit architecture with improved processing capabilities, which should result in a doubling of the speed of the phone compared with the iPhone 5S.

Coupled to the new A7 processor is a new co-processor called the M7. Its job is to collect data from the various sensors the iPhone 5S has, including the GPS, processing the information without waking the main A7 chip. In doing so, it should allow various apps and services to continually pull data from the phone's hardware while still delivering an iPhone 5-level of battery life or a good day's worth of use.

Battery life

The iPhone 5S should be able to achieve, at least on paper, a longer useful battery life than the iPhone 5 and iPhones that came before it. Apple has stated that its new flagship will be capable of 10 hours talk time, 10 hours LTE browsing, and 250 hours standby. That's an improvement over the iPhone 5's times of eight hours of talk, eight hours of LTE browsing, and 225 hours of standby. Real-life battery usage will, of course, vary.

Conclusions

The iPhone 5S certainly looks good on paper. With its revolutionary inclusion of a fingerprint sensor in a mass-market phone, which could potentially remove the need for passwords and truly enhance the user experience, Apple could be on to a winner.

However, the rest of the phone is just as it was for the iPhone 5, and you would be pushed to tell the difference between them from a quick visual inspection. Of course, the internal parts have been upgraded, and the new camera system could make a real difference to your photos.

Smartphones aren't all about internal specifications, and are much more about experiences, which is something Apple is very good at delivering. Combined with the new iOS 7, the iPhone 5S should be very good indeed.

iPhone 5S

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:

Unread
  (#8)
Groping is a skill...

September 11, 2013, 08:25 PM

We'll be upgrading my girl to the 5S once it comes out so I'll test it out. If it's good I'll bite. If it's not a huge improvement, I'll wait. Ever since Jobs died it hasn't been the same with Apple

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Don't believe the hype...

September 11, 2013, 08:38 PM

If you have a 4, I definitely recommend upgrading to 5S, or even 5C. They are MUCH faster. My five is crazy fast on AT&T's LTE, and 5S is supposed to be 2x faster with the new A7 chip. I'm actually more excited for iOS 7 than the iPhone 5S itself, though!

'11 Speedy
'72 CB450
Unread
  (#10)
250 cc's of awesomeness

September 11, 2013, 08:47 PM

I'm very happy with my 5 over previous android phones from HTC and Motorolla. Will be switching to iOS7 when it becomes available and will ride it out until the 6 is here.
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

September 11, 2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0bbles View Post
. I'm actually more excited for iOS 7 than the iPhone 5S itself, though!
That's why I won't be upgrading. Just gonna update to 7 when it's available for the 5.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:

Unread
  (#12)
250 cc's of awesomeness

September 11, 2013, 08:49 PM

If you have a 5 I don't see the point in upgrading unless you destroy your phone.
Unread
  (#13)
Sewing Machine Rider

September 11, 2013, 09:09 PM

The 5c is what surprised me. I never thought Apple would offer something that's value proposition involved cost. I don't think Tim Cook gets whatever Apple is and I wouldn't be surprised if they continued their descent into irrelevance by the end of the decade.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

September 11, 2013, 10:26 PM

You all have to admit though that up until the iPhone 4 and iOS 5 (and Siri on 6) Apple products have really been at the forefront of many technologies, even with their simplicity (maybe primarily thanks to it). But simplicity eventually gets old if it doesn't change form. And other than faster and a soon to come different coloring scheme in iOS7 there hasn't been any change worth a darn since iPhone 4 and iOS 5.

While I still hear people talking about how Android phones keep breaking ground on new technologies. I want to know what these technologies are though. More MP camera...ooooooh! Faster processors...no shit if it's been more than 3 months since the last one!

The only one I see actually changing the game are the Windows phones with their tile system (which I'm not sure I like) and their Smartglass synchronization with the Xbox and PC's. But for some reason those don't seem to be taking hold like Android ones. Either way, iPhone just doesn't seem like it has very much up its sleeve anymore. From iPod to Nano to Shuffle to Touch to the iPhone line (up to 4) to the AppleTV to the iPad (2 and Mini)...all of those have been at the forefront of technological advances. But now they seem stagnant. At least Google is working on their Glass product. While Microsoft is trying to create an ecosystem tied to gaming and television streaming through Xbox. All that Apple can offer is fingerprints, colors, and the always expected and severely underutilized processing power.

On a side note...I'd like to understand what would be the HUGE selling point between one Android and another. Other than obvious screen size, 48 vs 176 MP cameras (I only need 8 still), and 1.6 vs 1.8 TERAHERTZ processors (cause .2, it matters). What makes the S4 so much better than the S3 or the many HTC's or the Nexus phones, etc.
Unread
  (#15)
250 cc's of awesomeness

September 11, 2013, 10:33 PM

I agree, but at the same time, what are you really using your phone for? I make calls, text, get emails, surf the internet, listen to music and take a few pictures here and there. Other than that, there isn't much else I do at this point that warrants more than what Apple is offering in a simple and good working package.

Granted my droids weren't super new, but I got tired of apps crashing, the phone crashing and poor battery life thanks to the screen so big the phone barely fits in your pocket. Liked the kickstand though.