DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
4 members and 543 guests
beatle, CCS762ZX6, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any VW techs/mechanics around?
Unread
  (#1)
i suck at the introweb

Any VW techs/mechanics around? - October 12, 2016, 07:13 PM

So I unfortunately lost my beloved 03 Passat Wagon in an auto accident and it has been deemed a total loss. I just had the motor rebuilt last year along with some other work. I found the same car with a bad motor and would like to try and do a motor swap, with some possible other work. Anyone here or anyone know any VW techs that would like some side work. Called the shop I usually go to but the price is simply not worth it. Would def like to try and turn this into a project car, if I could get it running to normal status at a reasonable price first (well more cost efficient by not paying so much overhead).

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Got Any Gwapes?

October 13, 2016, 01:20 PM

What were you quoted for the swap?

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#3)
i suck at the introweb

October 14, 2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929 View Post
What were you quoted for the swap?
ball park figure between 2600 to 3000. which is probably reasonable to be done at a shop, but i want this to be a project car so would like to allocate funding to other parts vs. just getting it running on the road. Looking for anyone that knows VW's and does some side work that has the ability to do this on the side.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

October 14, 2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_mike View Post
ball park figure between 2600 to 3000. which is probably reasonable to be done at a shop, but i want this to be a project car so would like to allocate funding to other parts vs. just getting it running on the road. Looking for anyone that knows VW's and does some side work that has the ability to do this on the side.

For $2,600-3,000 you could buy a running used B5.5 Passat or even an A4 Wagon (same chassis and engine).

Why double your costs before even getting up and running?
Purchasing a roller, engine transplant cost, and then getting the ECU & Transmission controller flashed (It's not plug and play. The ECU in the B5's are programmed to the specific car it was installed in).

Sell the engine. Collect the profit.
Get another B5.5 and start your build from there.

$3500 Clean A4 Avant
2003 AUDI A4 QUATTRO STATION WAGON, NEW T-BELT, NICE !

$3200
2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 1.8T GLS Leather 76500 miles

Project Car Specials:
$1500 High Miles 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

$1800 4Motion V6 (Rare). Tons of spare parts.
2002 VW Passat GLX Wagon with 4Motion AWD

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
i suck at the introweb

October 14, 2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
For $2,600-3,000 you could buy a running used B5.5 Passat or even an A4 Wagon (same chassis and engine).

Why double your costs before even getting up and running?
Purchasing a roller, engine transplant cost, and then getting the ECU & Transmission controller flashed (It's not plug and play. The ECU in the B5's are programmed to the specific car it was installed in).

Sell the engine. Collect the profit.
Get another B5.5 and start your build from there.

$3500 Clean A4 Avant
2003 AUDI A4 QUATTRO STATION WAGON, NEW T-BELT, NICE !

$3200
2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 1.8T GLS Leather 76500 miles

Project Car Specials:
$1500 High Miles 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

$1800 4Motion V6 (Rare). Tons of spare parts.
2002 VW Passat GLX Wagon with 4Motion AWD
Those are all automatics, the A4 I already looked at. Took a whole day off work to find a damn piece of shit. Def had a blown head gasket and clearly severe front end damage. Shit wasn't even holding oil pressure.

As for my car, insurance is giving me 1700. If I keep it they will still give me 1500. I found one that might be in good condition that is exactly the same as mine (even down to color) just needs motor work for under $1k. I just rebuilt my motor along with a lot of other work including a $700 APR full packaged ECU flash, but since the work was don't 1 year and 2 weeks ago, they will not pay for. They will not pay for any work done that is older then 1 year.

My car only has structural damage. So if I did a swap at the shop I would be out of pocket about $2k. However if I can get it done cheaper then $3k then that means more money to allocate to say a bigger turbo, new suspension, better brakes, single mass fly wheel with new clutch, etc....

Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

October 14, 2016, 10:37 PM

If the damage is only structural, depending on the severity, would buying it back from the insurance company and having the damage repaired be too much vs. the cost of an engine swap?

At least you would have the assurance of knowing the entire repair and replacement history of the car + any other unique issues.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; October 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Mojito Anyone?

October 16, 2016, 02:57 PM

I know someone but I don't know if they have the time for that right now..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn