DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 324
1 members and 323 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone been to Italy?
Unread
  (#1)
Site Owner

Anyone been to Italy? - August 5, 2009, 10:56 AM

Going in September from the 4th to the 13th. Got any recommended "must see" things? Or any travel tips? Don't speak a lick of Italian so that should be interesting.

We're going to Venice, Florence, and Rome.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#2)
Traction Control

August 5, 2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Going in September from the 4th to the 13th. Got any recommended "must see" things? Or any travel tips? Don't speak a lick of Italian so that should be interesting.

We're going to Venice, Florence, and Rome.
Make a trip to zee autobahn, ya?

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#3)
#swag

August 5, 2009, 11:00 AM

Didn't just get back from there?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

August 5, 2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
Didn't just get back from there?
Yeah I have to talk to him about it.

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

August 5, 2009, 11:01 AM

I have been told that you should definitely hit the tourist spots you just mentioned, but to REALLY see it, travel away from the big cities and find some good B&B's in the vineyards. I have heard Italy is so awesome to just get in a car and get lost for a while..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

August 5, 2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
I have been told that you should definitely hit the tourist spots you just mentioned, but to REALLY see it, travel away from the big cities and find some good B&B's in the vineyards. I have heard Italy is so awesome to just get in a car and get lost for a while..
Yeah those are just the major places we're hitting. Flying into Venice, spending some time there, then train to florence, time there, train to Rome, and fly out.

Haven't booked hotels or anything else yet, just the airfare.. so everything else is undecided. Definitely planning on renting a motorbike at some point to ride around.

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

August 5, 2009, 11:05 AM

2WheelIdiot lives there now, and he recently sent me a PM so I know he's logging on. You might want to send Brandon a PM. He's a super guy.

I also happen to work with an Italian--like really from Italy, not from upstate NY--so I'll find out where exactly she's from and see what she has to offer.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Site Owner

August 5, 2009, 11:10 AM

Nice, OSD. Thanks!

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#9)
TPG

August 5, 2009, 11:14 AM

I've been to Rome a few times and while its definitely worth seeing all the major spots within the city, I very much agree with getting out too, the catacombs outside of town are fascinating and some of the smaller port towns are beautiful

also prepare for it to be extremely warm
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

August 5, 2009, 11:17 AM

Have a gelato on the Piazza de Spana on a Saturday night. Crazy fun. Restaurants don't open until 7 pm for dinner, and don't get busy until 9-10 at night. Read up on the guide books on how to order at a "real" italian restaurant -- have to order your veggies a la carte!

don't worry about speaking Italian. Learn a few basic phrases "hi, good morning, good evening, please and thank you" and the locals will love you for it.

Beware of the edges of the canals in Venice. Tourist crowds WILL push you in, you are not in America and thus no safety rails We will all if you fall in. Unless you need the romance, skip the gondola ride in September -- the water is probably too smelly to stand it. I was there in January and it STANK.

+11ty billion to getting out of the cities if you can. Otherwise rent a scooter and have a blast. We landed in Rome and took the train, arrived at 4 pm, found our hotel, dropped bags, and rented scooters during rush hour in Rome. Yes it was still fun!

The Sistine Chapel was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I am a huge da Vinci nut though and totally geeked out at the Vatican. Go to the top of St Peters for some AWESOME views of Rome. Giggle at having to walk around the cupula half bent over to get up there.

Uh, i'm waxing nostalgic. I'm totally moving to Italy as soon I can. Enjoy every second.

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Site Owner

August 5, 2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
Have a gelato on the Piazza de Spana on a Saturday night. Crazy fun. Restaurants don't open until 7 pm for dinner, and don't get busy until 9-10 at night. Read up on the guide books on how to order at a "real" italian restaurant -- have to order your veggies a la carte!

don't worry about speaking Italian. Learn a few basic phrases "hi, good morning, good evening, please and thank you" and the locals will love you for it.

Beware of the edges of the canals in Venice. Tourist crowds WILL push you in, you are not in America and thus no safety rails We will all if you fall in. Unless you need the romance, skip the gondola ride in September -- the water is probably too smelly to stand it. I was there in January and it STANK.

+11ty billion to getting out of the cities if you can. Otherwise rent a scooter and have a blast. We landed in Rome and took the train, arrived at 4 pm, found our hotel, dropped bags, and rented scooters during rush hour in Rome. Yes it was still fun!

The Sistine Chapel was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I am a huge da Vinci nut though and totally geeked out at the Vatican. Go to the top of St Peters for some AWESOME views of Rome. Giggle at having to walk around the cupula half bent over to get up there.

Uh, i'm waxing nostalgic. I'm totally moving to Italy as soon I can. Enjoy every second.
NICE!! This is exactly what I was looking for. The way I figure it, we want to spend the majority of time in Venice and Rome (and surrounding areas).

Got any recommendations of hotels in Rome? Otherwise I'm doing the same thing I did with Isle of Man and winging it.

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#12)
Triple Secks

August 5, 2009, 11:24 AM

I went to Venice. It rained that day. HARD. The entire city flooded and we spent 85% of our time wading through water. Shops had these little board barriers they setup in the doorway to stop/mitigate the water from flowing in. There were some raised walkaways that we used as well... It was a very interesting experience for a 10year old.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#13)
Site Owner

August 5, 2009, 11:25 AM

I hope Venice doesn't sink while we are there.

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

August 5, 2009, 11:27 AM

We absolutely winged it, but we also went in January when it's not even remotely high tourist season. So we got to stay ON the piazza de spagna (I think i misspelled it earlier) and on the Grand Canal in venice for uber cheap (think $150 a night split between 3 people cheap; high season the Venice room was $500 a night) so I think you're out of luck there. When we landed at the Rome airport, there's a little booth there where you can book your hotel in the city so you can go straight to your hotel. Might be the same thing in a train terminal, not sure.

Might do the ol' Expedia trick -- pick a few hotels in Rome and see if you can get bookings. If not, might call ahead. If plenty of room, wing it

Edit: in Venice there is a sweets/pastry shop in a back alley not far from the "main square" (meaning the one near the doge's palace). Dude I could have died right there and gone to culinary heaven. I wish I could remember the name and location. Try every sweet shop you come to in venice until you find it And try the "black pasta" in Venice too -- squid ink pasta So good!

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!

Last edited by CookieMonster; August 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Triple Secks

August 5, 2009, 11:27 AM

In retrospect, i think the water was up to my knees in a lot of places but being 10.. that was prob mid calf level for most adults.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.