DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
1 members and 550 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone do martial arts?
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Anyone do martial arts? - July 16, 2006, 12:03 PM

I'm thinking of joining a 'dojo' as a way of motivating myself to get back in shape.I'm looking at this place in Arlington that teaches Shaolin style which looks good.I'm a member of Jungles gym in Old Town and Royce Gracie has a class there,but its more of a grappling style,which is good,but I'm looking for more of a kick-punch style.The biggest thing I'm looking for is more of an adult oriented class.I always think about that Seinfeld episode where Kramer joins a karate class and beats up all the little kids,then they jump him in the alley.
Anyone in a school or know of one inside the beltway in NoVa?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 16, 2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH
I always think about that Seinfeld episode where Kramer joins a karate class and beats up all the little kids,then they jump him in the alley.
Ha, ha.

I don't do MA but I do my one routine exercise, I use this book called Lifetime Wellness and Fitness, very informative.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Former Rock Star

July 16, 2006, 12:19 PM

I've taken private lessons for 30 years now and after a few classrooms
and big named schools found it so much better. One on one or in a very
small group you will learn things perfectly before you move on. In a large
class they sometimes tend to try and move things along for everyone and
unfortunately there is a group that just hasn't mastered anything. It took me
12 years to obtain my black belt and another 10 for my 2nd degree. I suggest
Kenpo. You will learn a good balance of feet, hands,grappling and if you wish
weapons. I prefered no weapons as I believe the art is as it means, empty hands.
Search around and you'll find a very qualified instructor that maybe has evening and
weekend classes at reasonable rates. Stay away from any place that gives you a higher belt because of the amount of time that has passed. You should only ever graduate up
to the next belt after you've mastered everything from your Kata's to sparing. Hope that helps.
Unread
  (#4)
BOOOORING

July 16, 2006, 01:42 PM

Tae kwon do and Hapkido for year, and competed nationally.

Cornerspeed Riders School & Cornerspin School-"Roadracing in the Dirt"
Unread
  (#5)
You meet the nicest

July 16, 2006, 01:58 PM

I do martial farts

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

July 16, 2006, 05:33 PM

Not a fan of any type of kung fu. While it's pretty, it's not practical. Ryukyu Karate, Taekyon, TDK, JKD will probably be your best bets.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#7)
Disinformation Age

July 16, 2006, 08:38 PM

You'd probably like Muay Thai, it's a kick-punch-knee-elbow style:

http://www.lloydirvin.com
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

July 16, 2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBikerTrash
You'd probably like Muay Thai, it's a kick-punch-knee-elbow style:

http://www.lloydirvin.com

Everyone is biased to a style but the truth is in competition. Not competition within the same art but competition between all the arts. Check out Pride Fighting Championships or The Ultimate Fighting Championships. The fighters who win consistently don't just train one style. They use techniques that actually work.

I highly recommend any school in the Lloyd Irvin Association. The curriculum is well rounded. They have world champion Thai boxers as well as world class grapplers from their team. They even have an undefeated fighter in the UFC, Brandon Vera. Check one of their schools out. I guarantee that you'll be shocked how nice everyone is and how well the classes are taught.

Thank you, that will be all.

Last edited by Illipino; July 16, 2006 at 09:28 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Illipino  
Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 16, 2006, 10:07 PM

5 years Tae Kwon Do here
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to RichieRichR6  
Unread
  (#10)
Silence... I keeeel you

July 16, 2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t51spl
Not a fan of any type of kung fu. While it's pretty, it's not practical. Ryukyu Karate, Taekyon, TDK, JKD will probably be your best bets.
Northern Kung fu styles tend to be the large circle type. That is the "pretty" style. Southern kung fu tends to be the small circle variety wich in my opinion is the more urban effective. Just figured I'd let you know so you're not bashing all styles of Kung fu.

As for the original poster. Shaolin is a northen style. If you're looking for punching and kicking it probably isn't what you're looking for. It sounds like you're looking for either small circle or a linear style. I have studied martial arts for the last 23 years ( you thought the name was because I drink and have long arms? ) By far my favorite style is muay thai followed by krav maga. They just fit my fighting style better. That's what you need to figure out. Are you nimble on your feet? are you better on the ground? Do you have long arms and legs that would be good for a style like tae kwon do?

If you're just looking to use it to get back into shape than it's really not as important... but if you truely want to learn an art and be effective in it you need to scout around and take advantage of most schools free intro classes. Good luck. if you have any questions there are some knowledgeable people here.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#11)
I'm an Asshole

July 16, 2006, 11:14 PM

I'm a Tan belt in MCMAP.

Suckas think twice before messing with me!

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#12)
Full spin ahead.

July 17, 2006, 11:11 PM

Definitely shop around and don't get pressured by pushy schools. Take advantage of some of the free trial lessons a lot of places offer, but be wary of the salesmanship that goes on before/after.

I think there are plenty of schools in the area that will fit the bill. You indicated that it seems to be more of a means to get in shape rather than to become a feudal assassin or step into the ring. I second the post above in checking out the Llyod Irving schools, however they might be pretty expensive. I'd say that boxing or muy thai would be the give the best conditioning workout for the buck. Those are probably your best bet. I will say that it is VERY difficult to find a traditionally oriented martial arts school that is worth its monthly rate.

A friend of mine trained here (http://www.afcva.com/index.html) for a while before he moved and said it was a great workout.

Good luck!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab