DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 595
1 members and 594 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone else have a CERVICAL HERNIATED DISK ?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Question Anyone else have a CERVICAL HERNIATED DISK ? - March 21, 2016, 12:52 AM

Just curious to see if anyone else on here has had this issue and if so what was the out come for you in the short term and long term.... Did you end up having surgery ?

My story..... Sorry if its long but here it goes if you care to read it ...

So after a few years of not touching any weights and losing almost all the size and strength i had gained over the years I decided to finally stop killing time/ making excuses bla bla blah.... and bring the beast back lol .. so i start my 2-3 year ( not your average transformation ) i was 3 months into it and everything was going great diet/workouts ... i had just starting slowly increasing the weight and lowering the reps and started to gain some size and strength back.... on nov 18th i got up and my left trap and shoulder was feeling a bit sore .... so i figured i must of pulled something from the shoulder workout the day before no big deal ... so i continued for the next few days with the usual routine and during this time it seems to get a bit worse but nothing to crazy ..... well all this changed the day after my back workout .... i got up and I had some serious pain all around my shoulder and shooting pain down my arm and some weakness .... over the next few days it just got worse to the point where i could not do a single pull up ....... so i made an appointment with a chiropractor which now looking back was definitely a mistake .... I should have listened to my x who is a MD and make a appointment with a Orthopedic doctor first.... and I eventually did do that and he recommended against surgery and to give it sometime and go from there .... .I started taking ibuprofen 3 times a day at a dose of 800mg and fortunately for me right about the 9-12 week period things started to improve quickly and at that point i had stopped taking the ibuprofen but continued to do the McKenzie Neck Exercises and now 4 months later i don't really have any noticeable pain numbness or weakness in my arm shoulder or neck .....

Keep in mind when this happened at first i could not get any proper sleep for the first 3 weeks due to pain and discomfort... i would just lay in bed and maybe get 2-3 hours of broken sleep ....stopped eating my 3-4 meals a day and started eating maybe once a day ... a very depressing time ..

I been on the body building forms and it seems like a lot of people do recover from this and eventually do go back to heavy lifting and a few even lift more then before they had the issue ....

If you know anyone with neck problems this is a great book that i would recommend

Treat Your Own Neck 5th Ed (803-5): Robin McKenzie, Autumnwood, Next Communications: 9780987650412: Amazon.com: Books Treat Your Own Neck 5th Ed (803-5): Robin McKenzie, Autumnwood, Next Communications: 9780987650412: Amazon.com: Books
Treat Your Own Neck 5th Ed (803-5): Robin McKenzie, Autumnwood, Next Communications: 9780987650412: Amazon.com: BooksTreat Your Own Neck 5th Ed (803-5): Robin McKenzie, Autumnwood, Next Communications: 9780987650412: Amazon.com: Books

If your possibly have this issue i would strongly recommend checking out this website they have some GREAT information on there !

Non Surgical & Surgical Treatment of Cervical Herniated Disk, New York

Lastly sorry for my fucked up grammar and spelling .............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3767.jpg (446.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3768.jpg (444.6 KB, 9 views)

2008 Aprilia RSV1000R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2015 Kawasaki ZX-10R (Sold)
2009 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2008 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (Sold)
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R (Sold)
2000 Honda F4i (Sold)
2008 Honda 1000RR (Sold)
2006 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Sold)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Sold)
2002 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2003 Honda 600RR (Sold)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Sold)
1998 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca II (Sold)
2006 Honda 1000RR (Sold)
2001 Suzuki GZ250 (Sold)
2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja (Sold)
1997 Kawasaki 250 Ninja (Sold)

Last edited by RRHonda; March 21, 2016 at 12:56 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Real Men Pedal

March 21, 2016, 06:52 AM

I have degenerated C4/C5. I was scheduled for surgery at Hopkins. I got a second opinion locally. He scheduled me for a series of epidural injections and gave me exercises. I avoided surgery and can pretty much do whatever I want now without being stupid.

If you're feeling better, you're probably good to go. I don't know how old you are so I can't comment on the weight training you're doing. Good kuck.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

March 21, 2016, 10:12 PM

Ya its good you got a second opinion from what i understand you want to try to avoid surgery if you can or at least hold it off until you really may need it and who knows by the time if you happen to need it down the road they may have some more advance way of fixing it ..... How long has it been since you first begin to have this issue ?

Just turned 29 but sometime feel like I am in my late 30s

2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2009 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2008 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2000 Honda F4i (Sold)
2008 Honda 1000RR (Sold)
2002 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2003 Honda 600RR (Sold)
2006 Honda 1000RR (Sold)
2001 Suzuki GZ250 (Sold)
Unread
  (#4)
Real Men Pedal

March 22, 2016, 07:32 AM

You're young so you're in a better place than me. It's been 4.5 years now. I'm sure I'll get blasted but looking back, I'm pretty sure the heavy weight training I did in my teens and 20s are why I've had all of the issues I have had later in life. My advice would be don't make the same mistake I made. Lift smart. Exercise should never hurt.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 22, 2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
You're young so you're in a better place than me. It's been 4.5 years now. I'm sure I'll get blasted but looking back, I'm pretty sure the heavy weight training I did in my teens and 20s are why I've had all of the issues I have had later in life. My advice would be don't make the same mistake I made. Lift smart. Exercise should never hurt.
I'm betting you're right about that. Technique first! Lifting is not dangerous for most (those with disabilities may have to do workarounds or avoid certain things) including squats and deadlifts which so many people think are the devil.
Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

March 22, 2016, 08:22 PM

Unfortunately when you're young a lot of stuff does not hurt so you push more than you should. Even if you get an injury it's fixed within days and maybe a week. Genetics is the only thing I've found will be someone's saving grace in old age. You can't save the youth from mistakes of youth.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

March 22, 2016, 08:42 PM

Yep cervical and lower back (not at the same time). I didn't go under the knife for either one, but I came close to throwing in the towel on the lower back. Sheduled surgery and then bailed and I'm glad I did.

Most of the symptoms from a spinal herniation will go away with time and conservative treatment. Going under the knife doesn't get you a new spine, the damage is already done. In other words - Surgery doesn't fix the spine, it relieves symptoms that won't resolve with conservative treatment. IMHO trying to avoid surgery is the way to go.

Now that said, as they continue to make progress on artificial vertebra there might come a time when surgery really does give a person a "new" spine.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.

Last edited by windblown; March 22, 2016 at 08:44 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

March 22, 2016, 09:43 PM

Walk it off.

I had lower disc problems for about 10 years and wasted a couple thousand on a chiropractor. My last bout was almost two years ago and I thought a herniated disc was the worst pain ever. I got a wake up call. Sciatica. I can't put into words what Sciatica feels like. If I owned a gun I would be dead.

I read a book about walking it off and that's what I did and it worked. Whenever someone talks about back pain I tell them to to walk it off and of course they tell me to go fuck myself.

I guess that's where the expression to walk it off comes from.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#9)
Cager

March 23, 2016, 06:39 AM

Not sure if you guys feel the chiropractors are a waste of time, but I swear by them. I love eastern medicine.

My family got a history of back problems, every single one of them. I had my own cases of some muscle inflammations around my back at different areas and twice I got pinched nerves. I go straight to the chiropractor and throw in a touch of western medicine by getting on a stronger ibuprofen.

Every time I go to chiro, my problem goes away. In my opinion, we all do not work on our back muscles enough such as stretching them or massaging them to stimulate them, which leads to our problems when we work out or do something stupid. Stimulating the back with eastern medicine methods is the best method IMO. Find a good chiropractor that will spend a lot of time massaging and have the proper equipment.

When I lived in Alexandria, I went to one chiro office on Little River and that fucking doctor was on a "collect bills" mode. I was in and out of the office in 5 mins. He literally only adjusted my back and said I just need to rest. WTF!? He did not even give me a hard look when I complained of my issues.

After that appointment, I never bothered to go back and went over to the other office on Little River that is called Chang Chiropractic. I never looked back after that. They are great for what they do. I like their process: when I arrive, they put me on a back massaging machine for 5-10 mins to loosen up my back and then they would have me sit on the bed in a certain posture to stretch out my back for 10 mins. After that, my back is very loose and then they would start diagnosing where is my problem and what needs to be done. Adjustment is normally done at this time. I usually walk out of office feeling like a new man.

When I lived in Indiana, I had somewhat similar experience, just be sure you find a office that has all of the equipments and knowledgeable staff.

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

March 23, 2016, 12:09 PM

I have this exact same thing that was a result of my increasing bench press and decreasing reps as the OP stated. It started over three years ago for me, and for me the worse part (other than the pain) was pretty moderate muscle atrophy on my left side. I opted for no surgery and have been slowly coming back. I am now at 80% (80 pound dumb bells for chest press versus 100 at my peak) but for whatever reason if I try to bench with a typical bar bell/bench setup I re-injure myself and have to start the process over again, so I stick to dumb bells and machines for chest work. I doubt I'll ever be the same, because benching 80 pound dumb bells there's is a significant difference between my two arms. I could throw it through the ceiling with my right arm, but barely can do five reps with my left to this day. At 52, I think I'm just going to have to accept it.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

March 23, 2016, 03:10 PM

I haven't bench pressed in years and simply don't do any lifts for chest now. For a little while there I was competing and bench was a real weakness so I overdid it attempting to catch it up. My shoulders still complain and it has been about 8 years since I benched.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

March 28, 2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
I'm betting you're right about that. Technique first! Lifting is not dangerous for most (those with disabilities may have to do workarounds or avoid certain things) including squats and deadlifts which so many people think are the devil.
I agree form is very important .. you learn this as you go and try to have the best form you can .... this time around my form was better then the past specially since i was not yet trying to lift the kind of weights i used to in the past .... i think doing some dumbell shrugs is what triggered it for me that night during the end of my shoulder workout .... from what i have read online and the ppl i have had a chance to talk to a lot of things can cause the problem including lifting / sleeping on your stomach / bad posture / car accident / lifting with bad form all of which i have done at some point or another....

At this point i am realizing i don't have the body i did years ago and need to be more careful and maybe try to stay away from the kind of lifting i used to do which was heavy and intense with bad forms a lot of times

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Unfortunately when you're young a lot of stuff does not hurt so you push more than you should. Even if you get an injury it's fixed within days and maybe a week. Genetics is the only thing I've found will be someone's saving grace in old age. You can't save the youth from mistakes of youth.
unfortunate but true .. i remember when i used to be able to go all out 5 days a week my first 1-2 years of serious lifting but that did not last long....

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Yep cervical and lower back (not at the same time). I didn't go under the knife for either one, but I came close to throwing in the towel on the lower back. Sheduled surgery and then bailed and I'm glad I did.

Most of the symptoms from a spinal herniation will go away with time and conservative treatment. Going under the knife doesn't get you a new spine, the damage is already done. In other words - Surgery doesn't fix the spine, it relieves symptoms that won't resolve with conservative treatment. IMHO trying to avoid surgery is the way to go.

Now that said, as they continue to make progress on artificial vertebra there might come a time when surgery really does give a person a "new" spine.
ya from what i understand sometimes surgery is great but other times it just makes thing worse and caused more issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
Walk it off.

I had lower disc problems for about 10 years and wasted a couple thousand on a chiropractor. My last bout was almost two years ago and I thought a herniated disc was the worst pain ever. I got a wake up call. Sciatica. I can't put into words what Sciatica feels like. If I owned a gun I would be dead.

I read a book about walking it off and that's what I did and it worked. Whenever someone talks about back pain I tell them to to walk it off and of course they tell me to go fuck myself.

I guess that's where the expression to walk it off comes from.

How do you feel now ? Has it gotten any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisB View Post
Not sure if you guys feel the chiropractors are a waste of time, but I swear by them. I love eastern medicine.

My family got a history of back problems, every single one of them. I had my own cases of some muscle inflammations around my back at different areas and twice I got pinched nerves. I go straight to the chiropractor and throw in a touch of western medicine by getting on a stronger ibuprofen.

Every time I go to chiro, my problem goes away. In my opinion, we all do not work on our back muscles enough such as stretching them or massaging them to stimulate them, which leads to our problems when we work out or do something stupid. Stimulating the back with eastern medicine methods is the best method IMO. Find a good chiropractor that will spend a lot of time massaging and have the proper equipment.

When I lived in Alexandria, I went to one chiro office on Little River and that fucking doctor was on a "collect bills" mode. I was in and out of the office in 5 mins. He literally only adjusted my back and said I just need to rest. WTF!? He did not even give me a hard look when I complained of my issues.

After that appointment, I never bothered to go back and went over to the other office on Little River that is called Chang Chiropractic. I never looked back after that. They are great for what they do. I like their process: when I arrive, they put me on a back massaging machine for 5-10 mins to loosen up my back and then they would have me sit on the bed in a certain posture to stretch out my back for 10 mins. After that, my back is very loose and then they would start diagnosing where is my problem and what needs to be done. Adjustment is normally done at this time. I usually walk out of office feeling like a new man.

When I lived in Indiana, I had somewhat similar experience, just be sure you find a office that has all of the equipments and knowledgeable staff.
Same kind of situation for me ..... the chiropractor told me it was arthritis that was causing the issue ... that is when i realized i should go see a dam medical doctor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
I have this exact same thing that was a result of my increasing bench press and decreasing reps as the OP stated. It started over three years ago for me, and for me the worse part (other than the pain) was pretty moderate muscle atrophy on my left side. I opted for no surgery and have been slowly coming back. I am now at 80% (80 pound dumb bells for chest press versus 100 at my peak) but for whatever reason if I try to bench with a typical bar bell/bench setup I re-injure myself and have to start the process over again, so I stick to dumb bells and machines for chest work. I doubt I'll ever be the same, because benching 80 pound dumb bells there's is a significant difference between my two arms. I could throw it through the ceiling with my right arm, but barely can do five reps with my left to this day. At 52, I think I'm just going to have to accept it.
Its good that you figured what triggers it for you and to stay away from it ...are you still able to do any kind of shoulder presses movements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
I haven't bench pressed in years and simply don't do any lifts for chest now. For a little while there I was competing and bench was a real weakness so I overdid it attempting to catch it up. My shoulders still complain and it has been about 8 years since I benched.
How many days a week did you train chest ?

2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2009 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2008 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2000 Honda F4i (Sold)
2008 Honda 1000RR (Sold)
2002 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
2003 Honda 600RR (Sold)
2006 Honda 1000RR (Sold)
2001 Suzuki GZ250 (Sold)
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

March 29, 2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRHonda View Post
How many days a week did you train chest ?
Powerlifters train lifts not body parts... I was benching twice a week although I did screw around with some higher volume russian stuff doing as much as 4x week (sheiko, smolov, and similar). I could handle that sort of thing for squats/deadlifts but not bench. I've got the upper body of a malnourished little girl.
Unread
  (#14)
Derpetologist

March 29, 2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post

So how do you figure out how much you should be lifting? I am starting to worry about myself just squatting & deadlifting 225. Sometimes I see 120 lb girls outlifting me but it already starts to feel wrong to my body.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; March 29, 2016 at 04:35 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

March 30, 2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRHonda View Post
Its good that you figured what triggers it for you and to stay away from it ...are you still able to do any kind of shoulder presses movements?
I can chest press all day long with dumb bells without irritating it, but going to a barbell wreaks havoc. Machines that have independent movement from left to right are fine too. Something about that rigid bar does me in.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650